Bar ends

partyboy1101
partyboy1101 Posts: 110
edited January 2008 in MTB general
I notice in all the mags that no-one seems to use them!!! I like the idea of bar ends for climbing but does anyone use them??? Are they a bit....you know, poofy????
Currently riding - Lapierre Zesty 314, as yet without any bling

New toy - Diamondback Mojito, SS rigid 29er

RIP 2007 Cube Acid - Stolen by pikeys

Comments

• Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Marmite - You either love em or you hate em..

I personally like them and use Ergon R1M grips with the bar end built in.

http://www.bykeline.co.uk/ErgonBarEnds.htm
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    They look bad IMO and they are a pain in hard technical riding. But for XC slogs they are an ergonomic godsend.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I'm a fan, but they're better for touring / cross country than trail riding, in which case they're an alternative hand position. I don't know if they make as much sense on suspension bikes where you don't tend to do out of the saddle climbing.

I just bought some ergonomic specialized ones for my hack bike - they''re crappy; rubber coated plastic on a metal clamp. Now the plastic has broken (no big prang involved) they're off to the bin. Cheap metal ones are virtually bomb proof.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,576
    I like em lots.

The new style are curved in to cancel out the curve of the riser bars if that makes sense.

I have some carbon stumpy ones, and they do fine, for extra help when climbing, and for another hand position when on a bit of xc, couldn't face the idea of just one hand position for the whole ride.

Before I fitted them, I used to, somewhat dangerously, rest my palms on the ends of the bars, as if there were bar ends there!

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Parkey
    Parkey Posts: 303
    Mog Uk wrote:
    Marmite - You either love em or you hate em..

I personally like them and use Ergon R1M grips with the bar end built in.

http://www.bykeline.co.uk/ErgonBarEnds.htm
    I've been looking for those! Thanks!
    "A recent study has found that, at the current rate of usage, the word 'sustainable' will be worn out by the year 2015"
  • marmite as has been said, about once every few years i think that will be a good idea. but i allways hate them, i don't like being away from the brakes, catch trees and what not in the more overgrown trails. leave less room for my hands etc. did i mention i don't like them?...
  • jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569
    I've gone back to using them and like the option on steep climbs. I started using them again after a bad crash where I managed to stab myself in the groin with a brake lever a couple of years ago - put me in hospital for a few days. At least with bar ends on I won't be able to do that again, just get broken ribs instead. Mind you, I really don't know how I managed to do it in the first place.
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned
  • Daniel B wrote:
    Before I fitted them, I used to, somewhat dangerously, rest my palms on the ends of the bars, as if there were bar ends there!

I still do on - flat straight hauls :wink:
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    hmm i dunno wether to get some short ones or not still thinking about it.
  • Sqcloud
    Sqcloud Posts: 11
    Splasher wrote:
    They look bad IMO and they are a pain in hard technical riding. But for XC slogs they are an ergonomic godsend.

But you are correct, they indeed look bad...

On the old GT I found that I didn't have enough space to rest my hands, the bar seemed a lot smaller, felt restricting, I won't be going for them again.
  • Douche
    Douche Posts: 134
    Personally i always use them and find it uncomfortable when not, especially over the long treks, and for things like hillcliming or quick acceleration there really is no contest ... Down point are lack of room on the handle bars and in a crash you have one extra things with which to injur yourself on, recently i fell down onto my handlebars and usually that would involve a slight winding, not with barends, cue two broken ribs and 3 months in often extreme pain and discomfort .... i still ride with them though and will probably fit them to every bike i'll ever own.
    I found it hard, its was hard to find, oh well whatever nevermind.

Boardman Mountain Pro
    185 G3 CleanSweep Front
    Cane Creek Grips/Ergo Ends
  • lego
    lego Posts: 769
    Hasn't it got some thing to do with fashion as well? I can remember reading some where that it was a fashion fuax-par if you have them on riser bars but it was 'cool' to put them
    on flat bars.. I'm not really a follower of fashion but I don't have them on my merlin (risers) but do have them on my commuter hack (flat bars).