Refuelling/food help please

Yorkman
Yorkman Posts: 290
edited January 2008 in Workshop
As I'm new to road riding, I have a 60 mile event coming up, and need some help on what food/energy stuff to carry with me as there'll be no organised food on the route.

Any help, please?

Comments

• Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Banannas, Oat Cakes/Flapjacks, Gel Sachets, Jelly Beans, Fig Rolls, Fruit/Muesli Bars, Chocolate Bar etc etc... Oh and fluids

* obviously not all off the above, there just some of the things I take with me if it's a long ride.....
  • Haydn1
    Haydn1 Posts: 25
    Malt Loaf is good
  • I'll second malt loaf; gets a bit sticky and sickly if eaten in one go though.

Bananas are good too, and some times I treat my self by carrying a Mars/Snickers bar and enjoying after a set amount of miles! I don't know about you, but when I'm riding and breathing harder than normal I'm not up for oatcakes or flapjakes as the crumbs get stuck in my throat a irritate me, making me cough- not something you want when on a busy road.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    flapjacks - homemade

visit

http://www.flapjackrecipe.com

The chewy one is particularly good (and you don't get crumbs in the windpipe) AND it has banana in it, which is joint top cycling food (with oatmeal).

Powdered Lucozade Sport (more economical that way) helps, too. Make sure you drink enough fluids - I usually go out on long rides with one bidon of Lucozade and one of water (too much sugar does my guts in).

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    for 60 miles I just have a breakfast one hour before and take a bottle of drink with energy mix in it, and take either a flap jack or lump of marzipan (which is good for energy).
    Nutragrain is a good cheap option also.
    I always open the nutragrain bars or flapjacks before riding as I have trouble opening them normally let alone on a bike!
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    Porridge before you go... and then flapjacks for the ride

My girlfriend makes little bite sized flapjack balls for me using oats and honey - they are full of energy, and I pace myself with one every 10km or so. I have a top tube mounted food bag (popular with triathletes) so it is easy enough to feed one handed without having to worry about wrappers and half eaten energy bars etc...