Interesting language from Prudhomme

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited February 2008 in Pro race
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... omme-14289

Specifically

Asked if he would, for example, say "you, never again," to the Astana team of Alexandre Vinokourov and Andrei Kashechkin, caught doping last year but whose team management has since changed, Prudhomme responded: "I would rather say, Astana, we don't want any of that ever again."

He's in a difficult situation as I see it. If he didn't invite Astana he would be hard pressed to justify inviting Cofidis or High Horse. I wonder when they'll announce the teams?
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    iainf72 wrote:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/cycling-can-shed-black-sheep-status-prudhomme-14289

Specifically

Asked if he would, for example, say "you, never again," to the Astana team of Alexandre Vinokourov and Andrei Kashechkin, caught doping last year but whose team management has since changed, Prudhomme responded: "I would rather say, Astana, we don't want any of that ever again."

He's in a difficult situation as I see it. If he didn't invite Astana he would be hard pressed to justify inviting Cofidis or High Horse. I wonder when they'll announce the teams?

He may just want to give Bruyneel a bloody nose so to speak- driving a car behind 8 TDF wins in 9 is a lot..and Bruyneel needs taught a lesson e.g ex masseuse of USPS describes Bruyneel as imperious in his attitude.. he was in autumn 06...
  • what happened to the notion of national teams getting involved again?

If half our riders weren't away preparing for the olmypics we would have a good squad.
  • dave_1
    what happened to the notion of national teams getting involved again?

If half our riders weren't away preparing for the olmypics we would have a good squad.

would be great. The Columbian's showed them how it was done in the 80s with national team-84 TDF
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    what happened to the notion of national teams getting involved again?

ASO know it's a waste of time - The big sponsors want the exposure from the Tour and the rest of the season is considerably less important. Countries are such a 19'th century idea anyway.

Anyway, on the original tip, Astana will be at the start I reckon. Prudhomme can talk tough but Bruyneel has the Damsgard testing going on which is better than the passport....
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Titanium
    Titanium Posts: 2,056
    Prudhomme says "we don't want any of that". Not them. I think he's pointing to the dodgy team and the mid-race scandal. You can count on Bruyneel not to do this but maybe even he is losing his touch, signing Basso and others, losing his sponsor, saying he'd retire until finally taking the petrodollars from a despotic state.
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    I'm not convinced about national teams. Tom Simpson was riding for one when he died.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • dave_1
    Bruyneel is putting a legit and persuasive case I think...the name is the only thing that's the same...I think ASO will let him in..

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id= ... jan30news2
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    A cynic would argue that he had to take the steps he's taken in order to get a place in the Tour this season. Damsgaard's program is about as good as it gets at proving your legitimacy.

Say what you like about Bruyneel but he's pretty savvy (the Basso incident aside).
  • I still find it confusing that Astana is called Astana given the lack of Kazahks.

But it would diminish the Tour not to include the team.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    chill888 wrote:
    I still find it confusing that Astana is called Astana given the lack of Kazahks.

But it would diminish the Tour not to include the team.

Actually, the 2007 team had 8 Kazakhs, the 2008 team has 7, so it's not that much of a difference.
  • Cyclo2000
    Cyclo2000 Posts: 1,923
    I can see the point of banning individual riders, but a team? The entire staff could have changed! Seems a pity to ban a sponsor from well, sponsoring something.
    Usquequaque in Ventus
    Just once I would like to be called "Sir", without someone adding "You\'re making a scene".