Dura Ace weight

JWSurrey
JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
edited January 2008 in Workshop
Anyone got any idea if there is a table on the Shimano site with weights for the Dura Ace gruppo? I think I'll have to click on each item and write them all down!
Also, any idea when the new carbon cranks launch, and where the best place for tech. info on this is?
(Trying to decide whether to rebuild my 105 bike with Dura Ace or Chorus).

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    £560 for a chainset? You can buy nearly the whole chorus groupset for that!

http://wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx? ... 20Chainset
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    £560 but by thunder it's bloody lovely, pass the tissues.........
  • aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    Mog Uk wrote:
    £560 but by thunder it's bloody lovely, pass the tissues.........
    Hmm, not that convinced - could get the same effect by wrapping an alloy DA chainset in carbon effect plastic. You can also buy much more lovely (and lighter) chainsets for that sort of money.
  • It is a thing of beauty. But will it really make anyone ride faster? really? £560 really?

When I see stuff like this I always think of Octave Lapize struggling over the Tourmalet on a cast iron butcher's bike and spitting 'assasins!'. No £560 chainsets for him but he was still fast as f*ck and hard as nails... :)
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Totally agree, you can have the most expensive bike/groupset/wheels/kit, but if you aint got the legs/heart/lungs then it's worth jack....

I still want one though.... :)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    £560 is the Wiggle discounted price - RRP is £699. :shock:
  • mm if anything its heavier than record (incl BB cups) for a whole lot more cash - don't particualry like the looks either and since i've never been persusaded to go for shimano even when their stuffs cheaper than campag so i'd definatley give this a miss.
    pm
  • I find the fact that people here like the look of the DA chainset almost as amazing as the price tag.

I think it is horrible looking ... unlike the alloy version which is a classic.

If you want a chainset either go for Campag (centaur upwards are all good), DA, or pull your knob out and get a Zipp or Clavicula.

Avoid DA carbon.
  • aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    ...or if you can't bear to put a Campag crank on an otherwise Shimano bike, a Fulcrum.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    The damn thing is disgusting. Truly .......... buggar me I really wouldn't bother.
  • Yes, i was being polite earlier - it's pig, pig ugly
    pm
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    Christ on a Bike! http://www.shipoffools.com/kitschmas/07_christ_bike.html

Now that is one expensive "carbon wrap" job!
    (read something about an "aluminium core" !)

I think i'm just bored, and should upgrade my wife's ride to Chorus, seeing as she actually competes, whereas I just potter around the odd sportive and moan about all those cakes slowing me down!

I've never figured why the NDS crank arm looks like a "scrapheap challenge - you have 10 minutes remaining" effort with Shimano cranks. I do much prefer my Campag. gruppo. in the looks (and levers) department.

The theory is that I can make an excuse for a gruppo upgrade this year, then sneak in a frame upgrade for 2009! My 105 wouldn't do an uber cool frame justice - Then again, neither does my beer gut!
  • 4candles
    4candles Posts: 240
    Yes, i was being polite earlier - it's pig, pig ugly

i'd rather that than rubbish record.. i 've had C-record track hubs with broken flanges, Ghibli track disk with stripped threads (from an alloy CAMPAG sprocket) and c-record road hubs that corroded away and looked terrible..

Where as Dura Ace goes on and on...