Wheel / hub - repair or replace?

martincroxall
martincroxall Posts: 102
edited January 2008 in Workshop
OK quick question well, advice needed really.

My Giant SCR3.0 has got the cheapo Alexia rimmed wheels that came with it still. Although there's been queries about the build quality I've had no problem with the wheels as a whole but I'm pretty sure the bearings have just about given up the ghost in the rear one. Certainly the grinding and knocking sounds coming from there would suggest bearing issues anyway!

Now the question is, do I get the bearings replaced / hub repaired (if it can be) or just buy a new rear wheel. I've noticed Wiggle do a Shimano Tiagra wheel for £40 and I'm thinking that would be fine on what is ultimately a commuting / winter bike.

By the way, the hub in question is totally unbranded so I'm worried it may be all sealed up and not easily serviceable.
You hear that? He's up there... mewing in the nerve centre of his evil empire. A ground rent increase here, a tax dodge there? he sticks his leg in the air, laughs his cat laugh... and dives back down to grooming his balls!

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    You can get a pair of those wheels from Ribble for £45, with the 10% off. So with Delivery it'd be about £50. Better to get a pair for that, than just a rear wheel for £40.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/details.a ... IMWHFR0200
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    Personally I'd try to service the hub first - it might be fine. You need one of these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... 4000000657

and a packet of weldite 1/4" bearings which cost a couple of quid at the most, then read this:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=105
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    The hub is perfectly servicable with a set of cone spanners and a cassette tool.

I have the same wheels as you on my Giant and I re-greased them for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Went out on a wet club run and then had to re-grease them again on the drive side. A bit of rubber came off around the cone, so I gather that's the seal broken. Couple that with the freewheel sounding as though it's on it's last legs and I'm probably looking at a new set of wheels.

I'd be weary of Shimano wheels, I've heard bad reports about spokes pinging.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Ste_S wrote:
    I'd be weary of Shimano wheels, I've heard bad reports about spokes pinging.

Those wheels are fine. I've had a set on my commuting bike for a while now, doing 60+ miles a week on them, and I've had no problem with them.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Thanks for the advice folks. I'll see about getting the wheels serviced for now and if I mess up completely I'll get a new set!
    You hear that? He's up there... mewing in the nerve centre of his evil empire. A ground rent increase here, a tax dodge there? he sticks his leg in the air, laughs his cat laugh... and dives back down to grooming his balls!