All for a good cause!

TheGreatGatsby
TheGreatGatsby Posts: 818
edited January 2008 in The bottom bracket
This year I am doing 6 charity rides in aid of the British Heart Foundation, Breast Cancer aware and children with Cancer.

THought it'd be a nice thing to do. Anyone else doing any this year?

Gats

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I was going to do the london to brighton with a mate for charity... then cycle back for fun
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • yeah I'm doing the London to brighton to london as its only 54miles. Same as the london to cambridge, london to windsor as well - gonna do them all both ways.

Gats
  • I'm hoping, wifey and work permitting, to do Manchester - Blackpool and the Manchester 100 this year. All part of working up to London - Paris to celebrate my 40th year after next! :mrgreen:
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    The only problem with charity rides is getting sponsorship.

Most of the people I know are well aware that it is my idea of heaven to get on my bike and do 100 mile days, preferably several in a row. Consequently, they wouldn't really buy the idea that I am putting myself through any kind of an unusual challenge, even if it is for a good cause. I might as well seek sponsorship for drinking pints of beer!

Also, I am cripplingly shy about asking for money, and I know I'm not the only one!

That said, I have done the Edinburgh St Andrews and Pedal for Scotland a couple of times each and always send them more than the entry fee.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Parkey
    Parkey Posts: 303
    It's alright getting sponsorship for just one ride, but I'm planning to do several this year and it's a bit much to approach the same people for sponsorship more than once.
    "A recent study has found that, at the current rate of usage, the word 'sustainable' will be worn out by the year 2015"
  • yup I agree with parkey its de a problem. I have one of them just giving accounts and have put links up through corporate websites and through face book so people can donate if they want.

Gats
  • sithebike
    sithebike Posts: 213
    I am doing London to Brighton for the BHF, I am also doing London to Paris for The U Foundation.. sgould be good
  • Agree, I'm trying to take a 'do it once and do it properly' approach with my Action Medical Research London to Paris ride. I'm promising potential sponsors that I won't be darkening their door for cash for a very long time.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body