Bottecchia and BMC; opinions?

Lagavulin
Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
edited February 2008 in Workshop
Other than supplying Astana last year I hadn't really heard of the latter and nor had I encountered Bottecchia. :oops:

Saw an advert for the BMC range though in CW and/or C+ and came across Bottecchia via a link to fatbirds on this site.

Wouldn't be in the market for anything high-end but I thought this looked pretty cool and from the BMC stock I couldn't really afford anything above the Road Racer (both spec'd with Centaur).

I guess finding a dealer around here is a virtual no-no but I was just wondering if anyone had any experience or opinions on either brands.

Comments

• The BMC is soooooo much nicer than the Bottecchia!!! 8)
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    They're both nice looking frames, especially built up, and i did go through a period of wanting the Bottechia Avio.

As for the comments about the BMC being so much nicer than the Bott, well I'm not so sure. Probably a lot more r & d has gone into the BMC, and having seen the BMCs up close I have to say they are a great looking frame, the quality and finish being top notch, but for me it would take going to see them both and ideally getting a test ride on them for you to decide.

Tough call. But for £799, barring a test ride on either, and coming with Easton fork and seatpost, I would plump for the BMC.
  • gundersen
    gundersen Posts: 586
    I don't believe that people today have never heard of Bottecchia.

HAALLOOO!!!!

Greg Lemond won the Tour de France on one. And his time trial bike (have seen it) was as wide as my little finger.

But maybe I am just old.

Bottecchia is another old italian companny.

And before Astana used BMC bikes, Phonac did (Iprefer their colours)

But to those prices I would think both frames are made in China (and that doesn't put me off).
  • GraemeT
    GraemeT Posts: 155
    I've got a BMC SL01 Road Racer and it's lovely. Orange with ultegra kit and DT Swiss wheels.

I also couldn't find much info on them before I bought it, except for one test in a german magazine (in German). But it felt good and looked good and my GF was buying a WSD BMC so I had to keep up :D :oops:

Not really ridden it much (don't want to get it dirty and I've got other bikes for winter). Still get lots of pleasure from just looking at it though :oops:
    Just Keep Pedalling
  • I have a BMC SLC01, here is a pic of it :- rides very nicely

pbpic1728908.jpg
  • Lagavulin
    gundersen wrote:
    I don't believe that people today have never heard of Bottecchia.

HAALLOOO!!!!
    Sorry, wasn't born till '83 and until I bought my Allez in 2006 my involvement with road bikes totalled watching the TdF on tv.
    GraemeT wrote:
    I've got a BMC SL01 Road Racer and it's lovely. Orange with ultegra kit and DT Swiss wheels.
    Sounds lovely. I think I'd opt for the alternative black/white colourways. I've got a set of DT Swiss 1850s that I'd like to get converted from Shimano 9 speed to run on whatever bike I end up with. Think they'd suit the BMC rather well.
    celbianchi wrote:
    I have a BMC SLC01, here is a pic of it
    That's one smart looking bike you've got there.

The lack of any dealers around here is the real stumbling block. I'm in Tyne & Wear and the nearest BMC dealer would seem to be either Bolton or Hull. :(

Reluctant to compare geometries, use a sizing table and take a wild stab in the dark with £1,700. :roll:

Looks like an Izoard or Mortirolo remain the favourites for my cash.
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Tyne and Wear? Have you been to M Steels of Gosforth yet? They have some nice bikes (Condor, Bianchi etc). That way you could at least test ride the bike. There is an Orbea dealer in N Newcastle somewhere too.
  • Lagavulin wrote:
    celbianchi wrote:
    I have a BMC SLC01, here is a pic of it
    That's one smart looking bike you've got there.

The lack of any dealers around here is the real stumbling block. I'm in Tyne & Wear and the nearest BMC dealer would seem to be either Bolton or Hull. :(

Lagavulin - do not despair. I would thoroughly recommend MTS cycles to you in Durham, I too am based in the North East and would not buy a bike from any other shop. Fantastic top end stuff, the boys really know their stuff. I bought the BMC there last summer but have bought a number of bikes there over the last few years.
  • Lagavulin
    acorn_user wrote:
    Tyne and Wear? Have you been to M Steels of Gosforth yet? They have some nice bikes (Condor, Bianchi etc).
    I haven't been through to M Steels yet though I noticed last week that they've re-launched their website. Some nice bikes on there - yet no mention of dealing with Condor. :?:
    celbianchi wrote:
    I would thoroughly recommend MTS cycles to you in Durham...
    Thanks for the recommendation. Some amazing kit on there.
    They have your lovely ProMachine but don't list the bottom-end BMC stuff.
    Will drop them a line, see if the RoadRacer is something they could do.

Thanks again.
  • gundersen
    I thought someone would ask "who is Greg Lemond?"
    oh well.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    who is greg lemond??
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    gkerr4 wrote:
    who is greg lemond??

He makes bikes doesn't he?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • gundersen
    French newspaper?

good one
  • gkerr4 wrote:
    who is greg lemond??

Freelance magazine editor?
  • Doom
    Doom Posts: 133
    celbianchi wrote:
    I have a BMC SLC01, here is a pic of it :- rides very nicely

Nice bike... looks almost the same as mine excepting the wheels. Is it me though or is your front tyre a bit flat? :o
    FCN: 4
  • Lagavulin
    celbianchi wrote:
    Lagavulin - do not despair.
    Not good news I'm afraid. :(
    I emailed MTS this morning and got a speedy reply. Unfortunately they no longer offer the BMC range.
  • Lagavulin wrote:
    celbianchi wrote:
    Lagavulin - do not despair.
    Not good news I'm afraid. :(
    I emailed MTS this morning and got a speedy reply. Unfortunately they no longer offer the BMC range.

That's a shame - though for me good that my bike should keep a bit of exclusivity!
  • Doom wrote:
    celbianchi wrote:
    I have a BMC SLC01, here is a pic of it :- rides very nicely

Nice bike... looks almost the same as mine excepting the wheels. Is it me though or is your front tyre a bit flat? :o

hmm, might be a trick of the light but I can see what you mean on the pic. the pic was on the day i picked it up - can't remember what PSI was in the tyres.