"penetrating fluid"??

el_presidente
el_presidente Posts: 1,963
edited January 2008 in Workshop
Trying to free a seized bottom bracket in a steel frame. Various websites advise soaking the threads in a penetrating fluid - what fluid is appropriate please?

thanks
<a>road</a>

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    WD40
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    plus gas.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    plus gas.
    i.e. petrol ?
    <a>road</a>
  • nicklouse
    edited January 2008
    nope plusgas.jpg comes in an aerosol as well.

30921.jpg

Halfords or any "car" store.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    Apparently it's quite corrosive/aggressive, so don't forget to clean up afterwards!
  • thanks all
    <a>road</a>
  • antooony
    antooony Posts: 177
    JWSurrey wrote:
    Apparently it's quite corrosive/aggressive, so don't forget to clean up afterwards!

Will this get the charred remains of my mash potato from the bottom of my other halfs best pan?
  • nicklouse
    antooony wrote:
    JWSurrey wrote:

Will this get the charred remains of my mash potato from the bottom of my other halfs best pan?
    Sorry it is not that good. I recommend a good aplication of elbow grease and one of the green scrubby pads. :wink:
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    antooony wrote:
    JWSurrey wrote:

No, you have to lick it off bit by bit or she won't let you out on your bike ever again :lol:

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • I had to get a seized (adjustable) BB out of a steel frame on my winter bike a few weeks ago.

WD-40 wasn't enough, even after regular applications for several days. Eventually, I wound up clamping the thing in a 5" vise, and turning the frame to get it out.
  • KY_warming_liquid.jpg

"Penetrating fluid".

Oh sorry, I'm in the wrong forum! :oops: :P
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    I had one seized in an alu frame just last week. The trick is patience - don't get mad at it and mangle the tool / lockring / your arm! Be prepared to leave it to soak and/or search out better tools if the ones you have aren't doing the job. Take the seat pin out and liberally squirt WD50 down into the middle of the BB. Leave the bike on its side for a day or two with the lockring you are trying to get undone facing downwards. Also squirt lots of WD40 on the outside of the BB (I assume if it's a cartridge one you will want to chuck it?). Get a BB tool that can be fixed onto the spindle and can provide loads of leverage (either through a built-in handle or an angular contact area that you can fit a wrench to).
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467

Is it something delicate with a non-stick surface or just a pyrex dish or something? If the latter, those wire wool pads with the pink stuff on them you use to clean the cooker are the best! :D

They also scratch far less than the green scrubby pads as they are designed for enameled surfaces etc.
  • Will this get the charred remains of my mash potato from the bottom of my other halfs best pan?[/quote]

Try boiling with clothes washing detergent for a while.
    If that doesn't work, buy a new pan ?