NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
edited January 2008 in The bottom bracket
It looks like a cold one this weekend.

Snow showers on Saturday and heavy snow on Sunday in London

Will you be going out in it??

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    It's only snow, and I need some exercise outside my daily commute, so yeh I'll be out bright and early on at least one of the days. (Unless the snow has a depth of feet)

Surely it can't be that bad in London compared to here up north.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    North Wales/Manchester up North?? Everyone I know tells me it's down South (well, it's certainly 200 miles South of here & only 100 miles North of London)

To answer your question, London has >20% chance of disruption compared to 60% for both you & I, according to the Met Office (see here: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ ... nings.html ), so it's unlikely to be a significant issue for Londoners.
    (The web page I've given will change over time, so the quoted bits might be wrong by the time you read)
  • redddraggon
    Richrd2205 wrote:
    only 100 miles North of London

It's more like 200miles.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    At the risk of sounding smug I'm off on a week with the boys, skiing in the alps - more snow the better!!!
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    reddragon
    you're right it is about 200 miles (not sure what I was thinking there), but the point still stands: about 1/4 of the way up the UK is hardly "up north"
  • A mate of mine gleefully told me that snow was forecast for the weekend and asked if i fancied going out on the hills in Snowdonia. If there is to be snow then it's best to make the most of this sporting commodity rather than lament its capacity to limit activities that can be pursued throughout the rest of the year.
    Two wheels good,four wheels bad
  • redddraggon
    Richrd2205 wrote:
    rbut the point still stands: about 1/4 of the way up the UK is hardly "up north"

It's only Wales that Counts, Go much further north and you're getting your feet wet in the Irish Sea.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • NWLondoner
    pdstsp wrote:
    At the risk of sounding smug I'm off on a week with the boys, skiing in the alps - more snow the better!!!

Smug ******* 8)

Have a great time
  • NWLondoner
    It's only snow, and I need some exercise outside my daily commute, so yeh I'll be out bright and early on at least one of the days. (Unless the snow has a depth of feet)

Surely it can't be that bad in London compared to here up north.

Not so much the snow that worries me but the black ice :shock:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Yep, supposed to be doing a century (km) training ride but don't fancy the Surrey Hills if it's icy. Wish my rollers would hurry up and arrive!
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    Well if it's snows here or if it's icy then I won't be going out on the bike, I don't have a macho image to keep up like some others on here :roll:
  • Typical, I am due to do my first metric century of the year out West London (Quest ride) and the weather looks bad......... :(
  • I'm planning a couple of 70 mile rides down in Somerset. Problem is I'm getting the train there from Aberdeen so hopefully there'll not be any disruptions. Anyone had any experience of taking their bike on the train when there have been problems?
  • It might be time for the mountain bike to come out for only the second time this winter!
  • Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    It might be time for the mountain bike to come out for only the second time this winter!

Think your right, mountain bike through the woods should be good fun :)
  • -8 in the PE7 postcode though... turbo with the heating on might be an even better bet...

...no, no must be tough and go outdoors!
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    The Met Office is forecasting much colder weather to spread southwards across the UK during Friday and persisting into Saturday giving heavy snow in places. Accumulations of 10cm of snow could occur locally with up to 20cm on higher ground. Areas most at risk include northern and western Scotland and Northern Ireland from early on Friday, along with parts of western England and Wales later Friday into Saturday. Snow combined with gales across Scotland will lead to blizzard conditions and snow drifts. Disruption to transport and power networks is likely and the public are advised to take extra care. This warning will be updated around 1200 Thursday 31st January 2008.

According to the site there's a 60% chance of disruption on Saturday, but since I ride on a Sunday I am going to have to wait and see. If it does snow on Saturday, the Sunday it'll be a case of "sloppy seconds" :?

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    I'm supposed to be riding the West Mids. 'cross league final at Lichfield on Sunday, so hoping the weather's not too bad down there. Rain and even snow I can cope with, as long as the wind's calm. Really windy around these parts yet again, though - I cut short my afternoon ride after getting sick of strong cross-winds over Askwith Moor on the way to Blubberhouses; keeping the bike in a straight line was becoming a tricky task. Binned the plan of heading for the A59 then home from Skipton down the A65, did a U-turn and carefully descended (the wind was still hampering my bike handling) to Askwith, then back home via Ilkley. Useful tailwind down the Burley by-pass, though, almost nudging 30 pretty easily on the flat! Last leg home down a deserted A660 as it's apparently closed to through traffic (but no resurfacing work in sight today).

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal