Fulcrum Racing 1 vs Ksyrium ES

normanp
normanp Posts: 279
edited February 2008 in Workshop
(Apologies: another wheel comparison thread)
Thinking about these for sportives (not Campag wheels as I run Shimano). I weigh 67kg & will fit these to a Ti frame.
Is there anything to choose between these or is there another wheel I should look at?
To me the Mavics look a bit too flash - not an important point really!
It is important to me that the wheels be robust, reliable, light, easy to adjust bearings, never need trueing, easy to fit a folding tyre (GP4000).

Added: I've just seem some reviews that say that the Mavic freewheel can run rough after a while and that there can be spoke breakage problems on the rear driveside.

Comments

• proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    I'm struggling to understand the concept of 'too flash'. You'll need to explain it to me :)

PS Mavic ES for me.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Fulcrums for me. Campag quality, known for being pretty bombproof.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • SDP
    SDP Posts: 665
    out of these two i would go Fulcrum ..

Ks are neither light or aero ...they are a wheel for all occassions..jack of all trades & master of none..
  • pcd993
    pcd993 Posts: 74
    I have been disappointed with my ES. They are not particularly light, nor do they feel very fast. But they have been very reliable. Not tried the Fulcrums, but some say they have a wooden feel.

Campag Neutrons get rave reviews. I am going to get the new Shimano dura ace clinchers when they come out.
  • SDP
    SDP Posts: 665
    pcd993 wrote:
    I have been disappointed with my ES. They are not particularly light, nor do they feel very fast. But they have been very reliable. Not tried the Fulcrums, but some say they have a wooden feel.

Campag Neutrons get rave reviews. I am going to get the new Shimano dura ace clinchers when they come out.

both good choices...
  • have to say i'd pick the the fulcrums.

i've a set of ES on a bike at the moment and I just don't love them at all. there's nothing wrong with them specifically... I just don't like them so much.
    seriously considering selling them and getting something else or swapping.
    ========================================
    http://itgoesfasterwhenitmatches.blogspot.com/
  • orv
    orv Posts: 92
    Just thought I'd pop in a vote the other way. :)
    I love my ES's. Spokes and freewheel ok so far... but I've only just got them so I'll keep an eye on that.
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    You can get so much better for your money than either of these
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    pcd993 wrote:
    Campag Neutrons get rave reviews.

I've got Neutron Ultras - very light.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • dbg
    dbg Posts: 846
    I don't get it, you say not campag wheels because you run Shimano? what does that matter?
  • ClintC
    ClintC Posts: 48
    I have a very similar problem at the moment, do I choose Campag Neutrons or Mavic Kryseriums SL's or a Campag Eurus wheelset as my main training\racing set?

Budget is up to about £500, and I am hoping for something that is tough, fast and that can climb well:-)

Does anyone happen to know if there is a weight limit for Neutron Ultras? I can't seem to find anything on the internet.
    Ride it like you stole it
  • i too have been back and forth over this issue for a while as I'm putting together a new build and wanted to get a decent set of wheels for sportive riding at about this price level.

Decided to go for Hed Jet 50s. Only 60g heavier than the Racing1s but much more aero. And a bit different. I've heard Fulcrums can be a pain to get tyres on and off of.

If I was going for the mavic's i would probably have gone for the SL Premiums. The ES is turning into the XR3i of road wheels - they're everywhere.
  • dbg wrote:
    I don't get it, you say not campag wheels because you run Shimano? what does that matter?

becauase that'd be like running dura-ace wheels on a campag bike. its just not right! :D
  • xio
    xio Posts: 212
    I've got a set of Racing zeros which cost about £500. Great wheels for climbing and feel very stiff. Not the most forgiving wheels around but I like them. I think you don't even have to have them in red any more if that bothers you.
  • normanp
    Thanks for the advice. I do like Campag wheels (I have zondas on another bike & they have been great) but I really can't bring myself to put them on this Shimano bike. I think I'll go with the Fulcrum Racing 1s (which are really Campag). Now: silver or black?
    Phil S - a maddeningly enigmatic comment!
    BTW it may be I'm put off the Ksyriums because I can't say the word.
  • phil s
    How about the new Dura Ace CL 7850 wheels? Lighter and less expensive
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    Be aware that if you've got narrow clearances on the fork the Fulcrums are a fraction wider than Mavics. I discovered this last summer when I was running 25mm for the Etape. quite possibly I should have noticed it before the tyre started rubbish halfway up a climb.
  • Just to throw a spanner in the spokes so to speak what about EASTON EA90SLX 1472gr, - Easton Tempest 2s 1500grs, - DT Swiss RR1450s 1450grs, & Ritchey Protocol Ltd 1460grs????
    Anybody used / got any views on these, most come in at under £400 depending where you buy them from.
  • not exactly a technical view... but i;d love a set of easton tempest 2's instead of my ksyrium es. :D
  • normanp
    Phil - the Dura Ace CL 7850 look nice but I think I would not trust carbon for wheels - I would worry about them if I ever hit a pothole hard (and I am bound to sometime)
  • davman
    davman Posts: 31
    chickenlegs

i have a pair of DT Swiss 1450's on my good bike, having chose them over all the other usual suspects in this price range (particularly the Easton Ascent ones).

Haven't regretted the decision, as i've found the wheels to be more than adequate for my purposes - very fast, climb very well (always very good for me), comfortable and seem extremely well built.

I tend to think DT Swiss don't get the recognition their products deserve. People don't always think of them when considering wheels in these price ranges. Their experience of making MTB kit has certainly helped them produce high quality road equipment.

davman
  • phil s
    normanp wrote:
    Phil - the Dura Ace CL 7850 look nice but I think I would not trust carbon for wheels - I would worry about them if I ever hit a pothole hard (and I am bound to sometime)

This rim, as far as I'm aware, uses a reinforcing layer of carbon over the top of the aluminium so you shouldn't need to worry about it being fragile
  • normanp
    Those DT Swiss wheels look good - the white hubs are great. Have you ridden them enough yet chickenlegs / davman to know if they stay true?
  • davman
    davman Posts: 31
    Didn't have any problems when i was using them last summer. Some of the roads that are part of my routes could do with some re-surfacing somewhat and they seemed to cope more than adequately.
  • ClintC wrote I have a very similar problem at the moment, do I choose Campag Neutrons or Mavic Kryseriums SL's or a Campag Eurus wheelset as my main training\racing set?

Budget is up to about £500, and I am hoping for something that is tough, fast and that can climb well:-)

Does anyone happen to know if there is a weight limit for Neutron Ultras? I can't seem to find anything on the internet.

I'm a fat sod nowadays ( 15 st. + ) and the Neutron's precursor the Nucleon has supported me admirably since the turn of this century . I think the Neutron's spokes are aluminium whereas the Nucleons sported Stainless . But if they're anything like the new Shamal Ultras I have now they'll be very tough . I think all the Fulcrums are al. too .
    In a Cycling Weekly survey a few months ago of all the top end wheels the Neutrons came top of the class for acceleration and spinning out the quickest . Followed by the Shamals . Seemingly weight didn't seem to be an issue as they caned the full carbon jobs . I forget where the others ended up .
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"