coffee machines

coco2
coco2 Posts: 44
edited February 2008 in The bottom bracket
i'm looking for a coffee machine that makes an expresso like you buy in any of the decent coffee shops, mmmdon't know if starbucks qualifies for this.

Comments

• starbucks doesn't apply to anything that has the words 'decent coffee" attached to it. The microsoft of the convenience coffee world in my opinion. Now Costa on the other hand :D

As for coffee machines try a Gaggia if you go the cash or have a look here

http://www.myespresso.co.uk/

for inspiration.

Gats
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Gave up on the Gaggia years ago - it constantly leaked. The Nescafe Dolce Gusto is great and you can also make great cappuccino too.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    I've had a Gaggia for last seven years and whilst it isn't an everyday device it doesn't leak and makes great espresso. Capuccino is a bit more fiddly but I'd start by looking at Gaggia if it's something a bit more than just a mass produced coffee maker you want.
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • mercsport
    mercsport Posts: 664
    I thought it was Gaggia that thought up the espresso machine .

In fact after just typing in that one-liner my , interest piqued , I went to Wiki and brought up the necessary : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaggia
    It must be the best , after all , in its guise as Saeco it employed Cipollini . Style ! :P
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • sloboy
    sloboy Posts: 1,139
    We used to have a Gaggia but it was a bit too much fuss. Now on Nespresso and I like it.
  • Has to be a Saeco for me:

cunego-simoni-podium.jpg
    Bet Simoni was faking that smile!

Actually, I have a Krups coffee maker, which is pretty damn good, but fairly simple. My mother has one of those nespresso things. That is even more simple and the choices of coffee is pretty good.

Saeco just reminds me of the good ole days!
  • But arent the sizes on the dulce gusto a bit on the mean side? Obviously for an espresso or ristretto its not that much of a problem but I like a nice big Cappuccino when I have one! DOn't the lil capsule thingys limited the sizes?

Gats
  • Another vote for Nespresso (www.nespresso.com) - a variety of machines and stenghts/flavors. Single service size also means there is less mess than a traditional expresso machine. I have had mine for four years and it gets used nearly every day.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    https://secure.nespresso.com/precom/sim ... e&lang=en#

another one for the nespresso had mine for about a year, even took it on holiday (2 weeks self catering).

img1568pz2.th.jpg

Beer dispenser stayed at home.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Braun.
  • I have the previous generation of this model - Magimix L'Expresso
    It's been making great espresso for me for a couple of years with no leaks or other probs. Even bought one for the mother-in-law.

I would happily recommend it.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Don't drink coffee. Disgusting stuff. Buy a teapot and get a decent drink.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    Gaggia Classic, good quality freshly roasted beans (none of the months old stuff you buy in the shops), ground with a burr grinder - proper espresso.
    Costa - yeuch, burnt-flavour horribleness.
  • claash
    claash Posts: 145
    It has to be a nespresso (see all the comments above) AND I keep hoping to bump into Mr Clooney at my local nespresso shop..........

We can all dream!!
    :roll: :lol:
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Nespresso for me too. Couldn't live without it. We have even been known to take it holiday with us. :)
  • Gav2000
    Gav2000 Posts: 408
    I have a Tassimo which is made by Braun. The pods are available in all supermarkets and there is virtually no cleaning. After trying most of the pods I now stick to the Cafe Creme ones. It's not as flashy as a Gaggia unit but it costs a lot less, doesn't take up too much surface space and, like I said, needs very little cleaning.

Gavin.
    Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
    Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
    Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
    You'll hear about him ever'where you go.
  • coco2
    took the plunge and got myself a gaggia...after all it's italian just like campag.
  • coco2
    mmm my fiirst expresso...lovely
  • It's not just about the drink, its the making of it too. My brother in law has a Dura? which cost about £1500 and you just press the buttons and it does it all for you. I much prefer my gaggia Classic where you have to do something - put in the coffer, heat the milk etc. Nespresso's etc = no soul :wink:
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Nespresso is the way to go.

I had a Gaggia manual machine for ages. Good fun making the coffee when I had time but it was messy and time consuming.

Coffee goes past its best quickly. As the Nespresso capsules are individually sealed, it's a perfect, fresh cup every time. :)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    andyrr wrote:
    Gaggia Classic, good quality freshly roasted beans (none of the months old stuff you buy in the shops), ground with a burr grinder - proper espresso.

yes this.

I bought a Gaggia Classic the other week and it's amazing, getting the right grind level takes a little time but once it's sorted... bam amazing coffee

fresh beans are vital too. I use Monmothcoffee.com but that's a london thing, I suspect other less civilised :wink: parts of the country have good quality coffee distributors as well

EDIT: WRT the nespresso and that kinda thing I suspect the pods will be very tricky to get hold of in about 2-3 years and it'll be another 10 or so before the next set of machines come out. I think while they're better than instant, it's just a poor excuse for the real thing.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Nuggs wrote:

Coffee goes past its best quickly. As the Nespresso capsules are individually sealed, it's a perfect, fresh cup every time. :)

As long as Nestle make the pods and continue to support the machines!
    M.Rushton
  • holy cow you lot have too much time on your hands

what's wrong with a jar of nescafe
    <a>road</a>
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    holy cow you lot have too much time on your hands

what's wrong with a jar of nescafe

If you have to ask that question i suggest you contact the nearest person to you on this forum who can enlighten you as to why nespresso or gaggia coffee is better than the product you mention - it's not coffee even tho' Nestle make that and the Nespresso stuff.
    M.Rushton
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    mrushton wrote:
    Nuggs wrote:

As long as Nestle make the pods and continue to support the machines!
    well as you can only buy the pods online from them i would think there will be no problems with that.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    I saved money and avoided all the problems by buying myself a teapot and loads of green tea
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    andyrr wrote:

EDIT: WRT the nespresso and that kinda thing I suspect the pods will be very tricky to get hold of in about 2-3 years and it'll be another 10 or so before the next set of machines come out.

I doubt this, I first came across Nespresso at the Geneva office of the company I was working for- they have a large installed base of corporate uses, alongside the retail customers such as those on this forum!

Ed
  • CraigH
    CraigH Posts: 321
    Had a Krups Orchestra.. but am saving for a pavoni..

i like the look of the pipes and guages..

c
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    CraigH wrote:
    Had a Krups Orchestra.. but am saving for a pavoni..

i like the look of the pipes and guages..

c

is that the manual one? you'll need an arm like He-Man by all accounts... a beautiful piece of kit though
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Don't drink coffee. Disgusting stuff. Buy a teapot and get a decent drink.
    Good point well made :lol:

I had a De Longhi thing for years until I chucked it recently. It took about 156 hours to make a filter coffee and then you had to divert some of the water to make the steam to froth the milk... I would have been dead from old age (or thirst) before it produced a drop.

Tea is the future and the king of all brownish coloured beverages.