Pedal bearings

Darrenhirst81
Darrenhirst81 Posts: 17
edited January 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Evening all,

I've been biking for about 6 months now with a bit of time off over Christmas.

My first mountain bike was a cheap one just to see if I'd use it, and after about 450 miles the bearings collapsed in the pedal crank bit (not sure of the terminology!). I've since bought a new bike, a GT Avalanche 1.0, and having done just under 250 miles this one is also now starting to click as I pedal like the last bike.

It only tends to happen when I'm really giving it some hammer, like going up a steep hill stood up. What I'm wondering is is this a common problem that people have? It's going to get a little frustrating if I end up taking the bike to be repaired every few months. I got this one cos I though it'd be more durable!

To be fair I think I've broken it myself by standing whilst going up hills. I'll have to start going out where its flat! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers for your help
Daz

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    pedals fitted to low end bikes are mainly cheap and never last long. either go back to the shop and complain or buy some good pedals.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I have purchased pedals (cheap) with sevicable bearings in the past and they do not last more than a few months, plus they aren't worth the time/ effort it takes to strip them and regrease them. My philosophy is that if grease can get out through the seals then dirt/water can get in. Buy only sealed brgs pedals and forget and ride! Shimano do some cheap sealed brgs at a resonable price.

:D
    www.27gears.com

Sore ribs.................I must start walking the trail 1st before steep descents into the unknown!
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Tighten your crank bolts before anything. They can sometimes make the bike sound like a bearing is gone. The avalanche has a sealed bottom bracket (pedal crank bearing) so shouldnt click or collapse the same way as a loose one does. It may just need the cup tightening though. Ask where you bought it from.
  • Hi Daz

Interesting because I have the same problem with my GT Avalanche Expert brought in Nov 07. I have done about 900 miles and also noticed a sound when travelling at + 18 mph coming from around the centre of the bike. I did think last week was it my cheap pedals causing the problem and have given them a good oil but from memeory happens when I am free wheeling at that speed !!!!

Not sure now but let me know how you get on ?

Tiggy777
  • I have purchased pedals (cheap) with sevicable bearings in the past and they do not last more than a few months, plus they aren't worth the time/ effort it takes to strip them and regrease them. My philosophy is that if grease can get out through the seals then dirt/water can get in. Buy only sealed brgs pedals and forget and ride! Shimano do some cheap sealed brgs at a resonable price.

Can you recommend some Shimano sealed pedals

Thanks

Tiggy777
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Bikehut do some decent pedals with sealed bearings for about £35-40. Good grippy ones too, a decent brand of pedal rebranded for Halfords, with about a tenner knocked off the rrp.
  • Tiggy777 wrote:
    I have purchased pedals (cheap) with sevicable bearings in the past and they do not last more than a few months, plus they aren't worth the time/ effort it takes to strip them and regrease them. My philosophy is that if grease can get out through the seals then dirt/water can get in. Buy only sealed brgs pedals and forget and ride! Shimano do some cheap sealed brgs at a resonable price.

Can you recommend some Shimano sealed pedals

Thanks

Tiggy777

try these

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=7808

or these

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=3759

hope this helps?

Sorry these are clipless only!!! I have never purchased Flats so have no idea? look for LOW maintenance sealed brgs in the description.
    www.27gears.com

Sore ribs.................I must start walking the trail 1st before steep descents into the unknown!