New forks recommendation

xone
xone Posts: 71
edited January 2008 in MTB general
Wanna up grade my forks, currently have suntour xcm's on the rig at the moment, came as standard and wanna upgrade to something reasonable. Budget is about £250. Been offered a pair of 2006 rock shox darts (I think) from my LBS for £175, good deal?? Any other recommendations?? Going to be used for XC and downhill.

Comments

• dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    reba 2008 sl under £200
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=18
    xc good, dunno about proper downhill might wanna get summat with a spring in it.

maybe these would cope with dh a bit better?
    2008 revelation 426 dual air £260
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=18
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I would really hope they are not darts - that would not be a good deal for £175 as thay are bottom of the rock shox range! plus, I don't think they were made in 2006 - I think they were still producin Judy's then. With XC as well as downhill, you're gonna have to make quite a lage compromise somewhere. Try looking around for an AM fork, possibly in the classifieds.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • xone
    BlackSpur wrote:
    I would really hope they are not darts - that would not be a good deal for £175 as thay are bottom of the rock shox range! plus, I don't think they were made in 2006 - I think they were still producin Judy's then. With XC as well as downhill, you're gonna have to make quite a lage compromise somewhere. Try looking around for an AM fork, possibly in the classifieds.

They may well have been reba's or something, they just mentioned it when I bought the bike cause I queried about an upgrade when I have my first service. I'll be doing more XC than DH cause it's mostly flat out here, I just want something that'll cope with some decent downhill trails.
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    Don't confuse riding trails downhill with DH or you'll get answers that are not very helpful. What is your frame?
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • xone
    Splasher wrote:
    Don't confuse riding trails downhill with DH or you'll get answers that are not very helpful. What is your frame?

I'm finding this out, my mistake, the rig is a CUBE attention, hardtail.
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    You're current fork is only 80mm of travel so you don't want to go too high with the new fork. Check your warranty, going up to 100mm will probably be ok and ought not upset the geometry too much. Any more and you're asking for trouble.

With this in mind, I'd say Rebas as linked to by dunker...
  • Georgeb
    Georgeb Posts: 315
    Definetely conside the rockshox recon, reba and revalation range.

The rebas are more xc but the recons and revalation could handle somevery light downhill but nothing massive at all.
  • Splasher
    £220 gets you 100mm Recon. A bit heavier, a bit stronger and a bit cheaper than a Reba.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=13118
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Reba's for £250 or maybe some argyles if you want a bit more strength.
  • A set of these becase they have so much adjustment.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=22222
    TJ BARTON
  • zero303
    Yeah but U-Turn adds weight and his bike won't handle well with more than 100mm; and will void warranty...
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,594
    dunker wrote:

Blimey that is cheap, they were both £229 last week.

What would I 'lose' by going for the cheaper option?

I do have disc brakes by the way - would the cheaper option just mean I had some brazed on mounting on the forks?

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • zero303
    Yes
  • xone
    Daniel B wrote:
    dunker wrote:

Blimey that is cheap, they were both £229 last week.

What would I 'lose' by going for the cheaper option?

I do have disc brakes by the way - would the cheaper option just mean I had some brazed on mounting on the forks?

Dan

What I don't understand is why it's £35 cheaper to have these forks as a disc "and" V-brake option. Which means you're paying less money for more metal! Makes no senes.
  • Splasher
    It makes no sense if you believe that price is always a function of cost!

If on the other hand you consider the supply and demand model, whereas canti mounts were once in demand, the vast majority of users just consider them an eye-sore now and hence demand for them is reduced and hence the price the market is prepared to pay is reduced.

Or put another way, if you could have a disc only fork for £200 or a canti and disc mounted fork for £200, which would you choose?
  • daniel_b
    Splasher wrote:
    if you could have a disc only fork for £200 or a canti and disc mounted fork for £200, which would you choose?

That makes a lot of sense indeed.

The £35 saving in this case is pretty difficult to ignore, for me personally anyway.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • I just replaced my RST Gila T7 Plus forks with a set of Rockshox Recon 351 U-Turn 351 Coils

The difference is staggering. I had my first ride with them yesterday and it's night and day between them and the old ones. Travel is adjustable from 85mm to 130mm. It soaked up everything and gave me confidence to ride harder than I did with the old forks. In fact it's fair to say that I would never have been able to ride the trails I was on yesterday with the old forks.

I got them from Evans. £225 reduced down to £179 and I got a further £9 off through Quidco.
  • xone
    Are Rock Shox Toras any good, just been back to the LBS to book the bike in for a service and had a butchers at the forks they have, They do have a set of 2006 recon 315's @ 80 mm and they have a pair of 2006 Toras at 100 mm, The only difference I could see was that the Toras wieghed only a bit more than the Recons, the travel distance and the price diference. Or shall I get something of the net thats a newer model etc.
  • daniel_b
    Well the new offer was too much to resist, I was mightily tempted at £230, but at £195 I buckled, and have just placed an order.

Not sure how long they take to arrive, but if they make it here by the weekend, might try and get them fitted and out on the trails this weekend.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    xone wrote:
    Are Rock Shox Toras any good, just been back to the LBS to book the bike in for a service and had a butchers at the forks they have, They do have a set of 2006 recon 315's @ 80 mm and they have a pair of 2006 Toras at 100 mm, The only difference I could see was that the Toras wieghed only a bit more than the Recons, the travel distance and the price diference. Or shall I get something of the net thats a newer model etc.

They use the same internals through the range, but the recon has alloy uppers which save a bit of weight. Depends which Tora - there are combninations of motion control damper or turnkey damper, with solo air or coil u turn spring.
  • xone
    It's all very complicated!