Red 'Duckworth' fixie with the Antipodean pilot...

jugster
jugster Posts: 73
edited January 2008 in Commuting chat
Great commute this morning, cold and dry with a beautiful half moon hanging in the sky.

Waiting at the lights opposite Hackney Downs station I got caught by a rather nice deep metallic red, chrome-dipped 'Duckworth' liveried fixie. I've seen it before (usually the back wheel disappearing at close to warp speed) and usually note how lovely, immaculate and clean it looks. Anyway we both go straight over the lights up Dalston Lane and I take a left into Navarino Rd to begin my dog-legging long short cut.

A little while later barrelling down Hackney Rd I'm suddenly aware of that same beautiful red fixie about to overtake me, suddenly it starts going a bit squirrely and I realise there's someone waiting at the zebra crossing and desperately haul on the anchors too! - Seriously good handling BTW 'Duckworth' Red. Anyway we had a brief chat about my short-cut before she wished me a good day & a safe journey and we headed our seperate ways (she goes SA on Old St & I go left into Shoreditch High St).

That tiny bit of interaction made my morning commute - I'm a saddo I know - not even the ignorant twonka cyclist who banged my shoulder undertaking me as I was sitting at the lights on Queen Victoria St could even p1ss me off! I just caught him and flicked the 'V'.

Anyway 'Duckworth' Red let me know if you want my looong short-cut route. :D
Anger is a sustainable fuel.

Comments

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Do I hear the twang of Cupid's bow....?
  • Parkey
    Parkey Posts: 303
    Gussio wrote:
    Do I hear the twang of Cupid's bow....?

That or a brake cable failing. :P
    "A recent study has found that, at the current rate of usage, the word 'sustainable' will be worn out by the year 2015"
  • ahh the old "missed connections" issue again

I asked Bike Radar to set up a seperate forum for this or at least a sticky but they ignored me :)
    <a>road</a>
  • Americans are much better at this sort of thing, see:

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/search/ ... onnections
    <a>road</a>
  • jugster
    edited January 2008
    I may have neglected to mention that she was tall & beautiful but I was worried that might make me sound (even more) like a stalker! :oops: Besides I think the bike might be a few cm too short for me @ 6'2"! :?

However, I'm tall & very not the latter plus I'm married with kids. Still I can appreciate a nice bike....and a Southern beauty! :wink:

And I'm always ready to share my commute short-cuts and secrets to all denominations.
    :)
  • methinks the OP doth protest too much...
    <a>road</a>
  • <a>road</a>
  • jugster
    OP? Old prat?

I didn't realise this was the Psychology Plus forum site! :wink:
  • jugster wrote:
    OP? Old prat?

I didn't realise this was the Psychology Plus forum site! :wink:

Original Poster
    <a>road</a>
  • jugster
    & there was me starting to think it actually stood for Old Pervert... :(
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I guess the real question is did you notice it was a lovely female rider before you noticed the bike :-P

I remember a few weeks back I was on my lunch break heading from Wardour Street over to Regents street on foot and saw a female cycle courier, made me smile as I usually only see blokes doing it! She was on a single speed, not sure if it was a fixie tho - just wish my missus would get to love cycling as much as I do :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • jugster
    God's honest I noticed the bike 1st, the 1st time she ever overtook me. The decals are a la Holdsworth, old rake forks with chrome finish at the end of the blades. The colour is a lovely deep metallic red & I presumed it was a fixie as no rear brake, BUT now I know it's a fixie judging by her impressive emergency stop at the zebra crossing.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I suppose to be fair, with current weather conditions meaning most cyclist's are layering up and wearing helmets/buffs etc. I'd be hard pushed to spot a female rider from a distance! I'd definitely need to be alongside them to tell!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • For beautiful girls on bikes go here http://copenhagengirlsonbikes.blogspot.com/
    It's not the winning or even taking part. It's the arsing about that counts.