Cutting gear cable outers

xcracer
xcracer Posts: 298
edited January 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
What's the best tool?

I've had a go with pliers, stanley knife and a hacksaw and made a right mess!

Any suggestions?

I've got the Shimano XTR cable outers with the wire moulded into the casing.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    a good set of cable cutters. Park,Pedros or Knippex.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Or B&Q value bolt cutters at about half the cost of cable cutters. Do the same job, but only cost about £7.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    I've got some Park cable cutters, they were pretty pricey but are, obviously, ideal for this kind of thing.
  • +1 for the Park cable cutters.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • xcracer
    xcracer Posts: 298
    Cable cutters? Genius! Why didn't I think of that?

Thanks chaps. :oops:
  • Positron
    Positron Posts: 191
    I believe the trick (as well as using proper cable cutters) is to have the inner cable inside the outer so you don't crush the outer (obviously making sure you only cut off the very end of the inner). I've heard/read that an angle grinder works well too but not many of us have one of those to hand.

Cable cutters are just about the most pleasing of all cycling tools. I remember being amazed that I'd finally found the right tool to do the job and just snipping up an old cable for the fun of it...

p.
    Never order anti-pasta to arrive at the same time as pasta.
  • scotttomo
    scotttomo Posts: 531
    This has made me laugh,slightly OT, the other day i went to halfords for some cable cutters (see below) and i asked the lad inside if they had any? to which he replied "like these" and promptly showed me a pair of pliars. "they're dead good" he said, "they even cut through the thick wire on luggage rack things on the back of bikes" so i said " im ok mate i'll try somewhere else" what a cretin :shock:

I had no cable cutters to hand a month or so ago and was makin a right mess of the outers and couldn't find anythin to do the job so.......ended up cuttin it on the laser :shock: . worked a treat if slightly melted the end :? . Got a pair of park ones now though, worth the money & work a treat. Nothin worse than buggering up your outer to find they aint long enough :cry:
    That will be all :lol:
    "If i was a slug i don't think i could handle it, i'd just throw myself in the salt pot" -Karl pilkington

Whyte 46, i fall off it alot!!
  • nicklouse
    Positron wrote:
    I believe the trick (as well as using proper cable cutters) is to have the inner cable inside the outer so you don't crush the outer (obviously making sure you only cut off the very end of the inner). I've heard/read that an angle grinder works well too but not many of us have one of those to hand.

Cable cutters are just about the most pleasing of all cycling tools. I remember being amazed that I'd finally found the right tool to do the job and just snipping up an old cable for the fun of it...

p.

not correct. but you should use an Awl or a Bradawl to open the end up. after cutting.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • scotttomo
    Awl or bradawl? What are these strange contraptions of which you speak? :wink:
    "If i was a slug i don't think i could handle it, i'd just throw myself in the salt pot" -Karl pilkington

• nicklouse
    SCOTTTOMO wrote:
    Awl or bradawl? What are these strange contraptions of which you speak? :wink:
    pointy bit of metal with a handle. :wink:
  • scotttomo
    Thought so :wink:

• Bikedevil
    Bikedevil Posts: 1,156
    Small hand held dremels work a treat...and you get the "oooooooo" "arrrrrrrrrr" of the sparks as well. Now its back to the side cutters and hammer method (strictly for use by very por students only) I would recommend some cable cutters...if i could afford them
    Brought to you by:
    Trix©orp Industries

For everything & anything pointless
  • Bikedevil wrote:
    Small hand held dremels work a treat...and you get the "oooooooo" "arrrrrrrrrr" of the sparks as well. Now its back to the side cutters and hammer method (strictly for use by very por students only) I would recommend some cable cutters...if i could afford them

Another one for Park Cable Cutters...there a godsend!