Ten speed chain

Mike Wood
Mike Wood Posts: 30
edited January 2008 in Workshop
Has anybody had any problems when connecting Campag 10 spped chain using a 'normal' rivet rather than the recommended special hollow pin rivet. Campag give dire warning about the consequences but has anyone had any bad experience?
Also does anyone use 'supa link' type connectors on this narrow chain ?
Finally , it seems that the chain length is very critical to the gear shifting . Two links too short and you have trouble 'finding' the larger sprockets when on the large chain ring.Two links too long and the chian becomes very sloppy when on small ring /small sprocket.

All boring I know but I'd like some advice . Thanks
M A WOOD

Comments

• Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    I use KMC or SRAM chains on my bikes as I like the ease of the connecting links. You can use these links on some of the Campag chains but you have to be a little careful as there are two widths of Campag 10sp chain (6.2 and 5.95mm if I remember correctly). The narrower version will be fine but not the wider one.

I'd suggest using a narrow (5.95mm) KMC chain. They're very well priced and seem to last well, the narrower version seems to improve the shifting. Improved shifting is all a little subjective but I believe Campag moved to this width of chain for that reason.

Hope this helps.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    Mike Wood wrote:
    Finally , it seems that the chain length is very critical to the gear shifting . Two links too short and you have trouble 'finding' the larger sprockets when on the large chain ring.Two links too long and the chian becomes very sloppy when on small ring /small sprocket.
    Is that something you've found, or just theoretical? If the former, presumably you have quite a wide range of gears and a short cage mech. In that case I'd suggest that you want to size the chain so it is possible to engage big/big without breaking anything - for which the usual method is to wrap the chain around both big ring and big sprocket but not through the mech, determine the shortest length of chain which will reach round both, and add 2 links. If this leaves the chain slack when engaging small ring and small sprocket, then simply don't use those gears - I'd suggest it's a bad idea to use the smallest 2 sprockets with little ring.
  • I used Campag chains but with a KMC Campag specific joining pin (designated 10C) instead of the Campag joining method. This is a 5.9mm link.

I've found this is the smoothest option. For some reason KMC or Connex chains kept skipping on my cassette.
  • Many thanks for the feedback . I have heard theat the KMC chains are good I shall change to one of those when I change casette in a couple of months time.

Aracer , yes it is my recent experience that if the chain is the 'wrong' length the gears will not change as they should - In fact my experience this morning is , even one additional link still seems to have an effect...
    M A WOOD
  • The best connector for campy chains is a wipperman connex link. I've been using them on 3 or 4 bikes for years. No problems at all, and they are re-useable! :)