I never knew I needed to do this.

dennisn
dennisn Posts: 10,601
edited January 2008 in Workshop
While flipping through a cycling catalog(Performance) I found the Motion Lingo(tm)
Adeo(tm) GPS bicycle computer "system" or whatever you want to call it. After reading
paragraph after paragraph about all the things it can do I came upon this. ".....and even track things like weather conditions and (are you ready for this?) shoe mileage".
I',m at a complete loss for words. Just thought I'd share this new "must have"
feature with everyone.

Dennis Noward

Comments

• pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    It's all part of the consumerisation (?) of cycling. Once the industry had got us off the idea that a-bike-is-a-bike-is-a-bike (just review the threads on this forum - "what bike do I need for my Sunday latte run - slight hills involved?" and the like) then they figured out they could get us to buy a constant stream of useless cr@p. I picked up a (supposedly) cycling mag a little while ago and it was nothing but adverts and advertorial - much of it akin to the fashion mags. It's sad but the plot is lost. I can see how you can be sucked into this - I almost understand my wife's relentless shoe shopping - but I imagined that cycling as a purer pursuit.
  • dennisn wrote:
    While flipping through a cycling catalog(Performance) I found the Motion Lingo(tm)
    Adeo(tm) GPS bicycle computer "system" or whatever you want to call it. After reading
    paragraph after paragraph about all the things it can do I came upon this. ".....and even track things like weather conditions and (are you ready for this?) shoe mileage".
    feature with everyone.

Dennis Noward

Dennis, Dennis, Dennis.

You've got your cyclist blinkers on again. The shoe mileage thing is for runners who use the same gps system to log their training.

Shoe mileage might be useful if you use several different pairs of shoes - they need to be replaces after a few hundred miles of use, before the mid-soles wear out, and before your knees do. I've got 4 pairs on the go at the moment.

Cheers, Andy
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:
    feature with everyone.

Dennis Noward

Dennis, Dennis, Dennis.

You've got your cyclist blinkers on again. The shoe mileage thing is for runners who use the same gps system to log their training.

Shoe mileage might be useful if you use several different pairs of shoes - they need to be replaces after a few hundred miles of use, before the mid-soles wear out, and before your knees do. I've got 4 pairs on the go at the moment.

Cheers, Andy

never ttought of that. still, it's a bit weird.

Dennis noward
  • pliptrot
    I guess looking at the soles and figuring out if they are sufficiently worn to merit replacement is beyond the aspiring athlete these days.
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    pliptrot wrote:
    I guess looking at the soles and figuring out if they are sufficiently worn to merit replacement is beyond the aspiring athlete these days.

It's not about how much tread there is left. It's about how compressed the sole is and other things which you can't necessarily see. So the "people are stupid nowadays" comment was clearly made without actually understanting what was being talked about.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • mascott
    mascott Posts: 190
    pliptrot wrote:
    just review the threads on this forum - "what bike do I need for my Sunday latte run - slight hills involved?" .

OH MY GOD!!!!!!

I didnt even realise I was using the wrong bike....The problem is I only have 4 bikes......I will have to make do till monday when i can get to the bank to get a loan out.... :lol:
  • I've been wondering if I should have different bikes for my commute into work and the return journey... Slightly more downhill on the way in, so I should probably go more aero that way with a lightweight bike for the climbs going home.

Will £10K be enough, or should I try to stretch the budget a little?

*keeps a straight face*
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • dennisn
    Shadowduck wrote:
    I've been wondering if I should have different bikes for my commute into work and the return journey... Slightly more downhill on the way in, so I should probably go more aero that way with a lightweight bike for the climbs going home.

*keeps a straight face*

Now you're thinking. But if you did that you would have to switch the bikes back for the next days ride otherwise you would only have the correct bikes in the correct places
    every other day. I think.

Dennis noward
  • dennisn wrote:
    Shadowduck wrote:
    I've been wondering if I should have different bikes for my commute into work and the return journey... Slightly more downhill on the way in, so I should probably go more aero that way with a lightweight bike for the climbs going home.

*keeps a straight face*

Now you're thinking. But if you did that you would have to switch the bikes back for the next days ride otherwise you would only have the correct bikes in the correct places every other day. I think.

Dennis noward
    You mean you don't have a support vehicle on your commute?! :shock:

Well, if you can't be bothered to get the correct equipment... :wink:
  • Raph
    Raph Posts: 249
    The solution is simple - ride the light bike uphill wheeling the heavy one alongside, and ride the heavy bike downhill wheeling the light one alongside. It's obvious!
  • aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    dennisn wrote:
    Shadowduck wrote:

*keeps a straight face*

Now you're thinking. But if you did that you would have to switch the bikes back for the next days ride otherwise you would only have the correct bikes in the correct places
    every other day. I think.

Dennis noward
    I think he needs to expand the budget a bit so he has a fleet of light bikes in work and a fleet of aero ones at home. Just pay somebody to swap them round in a van once a week.
  • orv
    orv Posts: 92
    mascott wrote:
    The problem is I only have 4 bikes......
    4.5 and I can justify all of them. :)
    although according to posters on forums and my LBS I need another bike for riding in winter.
  • Hi there.

Amateurs the lot of you!

4.5 bikes _and_ 4 pairs of running shoes.

Cheers, Andy
  • Okay, someone has to ask...

4.5 bikes? What's the half?
  • orv
    orv Posts: 92
    Shadowduck wrote:
    4.5 bikes? What's the half?
    A Unicycle!
    so 4.5 "cycles" I guess, rather than "bikes"
    Fnnff. hmm only 3 pairs. damn, out shoed.
  • Two actual bikes and a virtual one (I pick it up Friday), not a single pair of running shoes.

I live the simple life. :mrgreen:
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Shadowduck wrote:
    You mean you don't have a support vehicle on your commute?! :shock:

Well, if you can't be bothered to get the correct equipment... :wink:

wahhhhhhhhhhhhhh... I think ive had an accident I laughed so much!

:lol::lol:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • aracer
    Not sure if I should be :oops: , but currently 7 + 1/2 a tandem. Wouldn't want to even start to count the number of running shoes - have used at least 5 different pairs I can think of in the last month! Other sports kit includes 7 pairs of XC skis and 5 kayaks.

Thouigh just to prove I'm not a complete planet killing consumer, I drive a 9 year old car, and we have a 11 year old TV (you just have to get your spending priorities straight!)
  • Special K
    Special K Posts: 449
    :lol::lol::lol:

funniest thread in ages

thank you
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • pliptrot
    GaryBee wrote:
    "It's not about how much tread there is left. It's about how compressed the sole is and other things which you can't necessarily see. So the "people are stupid nowadays" comment was clearly made without actually understanting what was being talked about."

well, I'm not sure I'd use "stupid", but I've got a good idea who's been taken for a ride....
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Hi there.

Amateurs the lot of you!

Cheers, Andy
    And only one pair of knees? You need more knees!
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • aracer
    pliptrot wrote:
    well, I'm not sure I'd use "stupid", but I've got a good idea who's been taken for a ride....
    If that comment's concerning needing to replace running shoes when they don't look worn out, then either you're not a runner, or you're permanently injured.
  • pliptrot
    People have been running-often at speed and on roads- for a very, very long time. They, as I now, did (do) not see the need for pseudo-science-babble as one of the criteria for choosing shoes. I've never been injured, and I can do 26.2 miles in 3:10. With cr@ppy shoes, it appears.

Still, you've got to fill the running mags with something to appease the sponsors......
  • mascott
    mascott Posts: 190
    pliptrot wrote:
    I can do 26.2 miles in 3:10. With cr@ppy shoes, ....

Wheres my nearest Stockist of Cr@ppy's, they sound like the what I need!!!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Blimey pliptrot - you're three minutes faster than me.

What shoes do you run in ? Maybe if i used worn out ones I would race lighter and be faster ?

My legs certainly notice when my shoes are getting worn out. There is a big difference between knackered old shoes and nice new bouncy ones.
  • aracer
    pliptrot wrote:
    People have been running-often at speed and on roads- for a very, very long time. They, as I now, did (do) not see the need for pseudo-science-babble as one of the criteria for choosing shoes. I've never been injured, and I can do 26.2 miles in 3:10. With cr@ppy shoes, it appears.

Still, you've got to fill the running mags with something to appease the sponsors......
    I'll bet the top athletes changed their shoes often back then, just as they do now. It's not pseudo-science, it's a fact - midsoles do deteriorate with use. We're not talking about expensive high tech shoes here (a 3:10 marathon man can probably happily run in £50 shoes - it's the heavy, slow ones who need the expensive ones if anybody does), simply the need to change them when they are worn out.

Sorry I can't join in with running speed one-upmanship since I've never run a marathon - though I've done several halfs and run further than a marathon off-road.
  • Hi there.

Is this thread still going?

pliptrot - you over-reacted in your first post. Stop digging now!

Cheers, Andy