Cycling movies

Ruari
Ruari Posts: 217
edited January 2008 in The bottom bracket
After being a bit dissappointed by 'The Flying Scotsman', I wondered if there were any really good cycling movies out there.trying to search Amazon confronts me with a confusing list.... So, care to submit your top cycling movies?
FCN 1

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    American fliers?

Or try the commute movies posted elsewhere on this forum :roll:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • belleville rendezvous.

Gats
  • yogi
    yogi Posts: 456
    Ghislan Lambert's Bicycle ( Le Vélo de Ghislain Lambert )

(French with subtitles). Tragic and hysterically funny. Probably not to everyone's taste but in my view the best cycling film ever made and set in the Merckx era. There are some more on our website - I must add Belleville Rendezvous
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    I really like "Overcoming," which is more of a documentary, but the initial 20 mins really tries to convince you that it's an art movie... The first 20 minutes make more sense the 2nd time you watch it....

I found it quite inspirational & a really good watch. My GF, who's no cycling fan, also really enjoyed it, but that might have been about Jens Voigt being featured, I'm not sure!

It's only £5.48 at Amazon, go get it now...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Overcoming-Bjar ... 404&sr=1-1
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    http://uk.geocities.com/mikstar123/films.html

Seamus' famous list of films on Byke Kultuur Never
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • coco2
    coco2 Posts: 44
    i agree with gats, the belleville rendevous is really funny
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    'A Boy, a Girl and a Bike'

This is worth seeing for the period feel. It was made in 1949 and is about a cycle club somewhere in the north of England (some of the shots are in the Dales). It stars Honor Blackman, John McCallum, Diana Dors and Anthony Newley.

The plot is a bit weak and the acting style is dated but I'm sure any cyclist (especially those of a certain age) will find something to enjoy.

My brother lent it me on DVD but I don't know where he acquired it.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • yogi
    yogi Posts: 456

I remember watching that film as a kid. I think it was on TV quite recently or certainly featured on some programme.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    1. Overcoming
    2. Le Vélo de Ghislain Lambert
    3. Hollentour
    4. A Sunday In Hell
    5. Breaking Away

Also the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan were what my first time-trial felt like but without the victoriousness.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    PS Belleville Rendevous is on BBC4 next Saturday.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Got my copy of Belleville Rendevous from a newspaper. Walked into the shop, put the paper on the counter ripped the DVD out of the package, paid for the paper and left with the DVD, leaving the newspaper behind
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • campagone
    campagone Posts: 270
    Richrd2205 wrote:
    I really like "Overcoming," which is more of a documentary, but the initial 20 mins really tries to convince you that it's an art movie... The first 20 minutes make more sense the 2nd time you watch it....

I found it quite inspirational & a really good watch. My GF, who's no cycling fan, also really enjoyed it, but that might have been about Jens Voigt being featured, I'm not sure!

I watched some of this again last week, it left quite a sour taste after all the Bjarne Riis/Ivan Basso revelations of last year, and now I cant stomach watching it all. Remember the bit where Riis is watching tv and someone sugests that he doped, and he goes "that's a direct acusition against me" and act's like he's really shocked and never once doped. What a shame because otherwise its a really good movie.
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Geoff_SS wrote:

This is worth seeing for the period feel. It was made in 1949 and is about a cycle club somewhere in the north of England (some of the shots are in the Dales). It stars Honor Blackman, John McCallum, Diana Dors and Anthony Newley.

The plot is a bit weak and the acting style is dated but I'm sure any cyclist (especially those of a certain age) will find something to enjoy.

Geoff
    I'd like to see that one because it was filmed where I live, in Hebden Bridge and the surrounding area. I'd love to see what it was like here in the 1940s, especially from a cycling point of view.

Details of the film here.
  • campagone wrote:
    I watched some of this again last week, it left quite a sour taste after all the Bjarne Riis/Ivan Basso revelations of last year, and now I cant stomach watching it all. Remember the bit where Riis is watching tv and someone sugests that he doped, and he goes "that's a direct acusition against me" and act's like he's really shocked and never once doped. What a shame because otherwise its a really good movie.

I find both 'Overcoming' and 'Hell onWheels' far more interesting following the revelations of 2007, compared to viewing them the first time around e.g. the devil tattoes of the Telecom team certainly make one think Hmmmmmmmm!
  • What's the name of that b+w french film set in the 20's / 30's aboout a postman on his bike ( obviously set in France ) and i think he gets mixed up in the tour somehow.
  • ColinJ
    I enjoyed watching Ladri di biciclette (Bicycle Thieves) on DVD last year. It's about the desperate poverty in immediate post-WW2 Italy, and how important having a bicycle was to the father in one poor family.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Triplets of Bellville will be on BBC Four on the 26th
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/cinema/wor ... ason.shtml

Preceeded by a 10 minute chat between the panel that voted it best film in 2004 (?) and the over paid floppy haird git
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Anyone found A Sunday In Hell on dvd?
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    pipsqueak wrote:
    What's the name of that b+w french film set in the 20's / 30's aboout a postman on his bike ( obviously set in France ) and i think he gets mixed up in the tour somehow.

that'll be Jour de Fete starring Jacques Tati. We got it out recently from the online dvd hire people and laughed so much we had to get it out again a few weeks later.

His other classic is Mr Hulot's holiday, but it doesn't contain any bicycles.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    ColinJ wrote:
    Geoff_SS wrote:

Geoff
    I'd like to see that one because it was filmed where I live, in Hebden Bridge and the surrounding area. I'd love to see what it was like here in the 1940s, especially from a cycling point of view.

Details of the film here.

Seems to only be available as part of a Diana Doors Compilation :-(
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Diana-Dors-Icon ... B000RF9ZDG

Ridley Scott's "Boy and Bicycle" short Film is on the Cinema 16 British short Films DVD
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • ColinJ
    Just found this list of cycling movies which includes some those mentioned and many others.
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    pneumatic wrote:
    pipsqueak wrote:
    What's the name of that b+w french film set in the 20's / 30's aboout a postman on his bike ( obviously set in France ) and i think he gets mixed up in the tour somehow.

that'll be Jour de Fete starring Jacques Tati. We got it out recently from the online dvd hire people and laughed so much we had to get it out again a few weeks later.

His other classic is Mr Hulot's holiday, but it doesn't contain any bicycles.

Jour de Fete was actually filmed with an experimental colour film process that didn't work, so Tati had to print the neg as a monochrome and release that. Thanks to the colour correction capabilities of digital technology the family of the director (who died in the 80s) managed to get a proper colour version made a few years ago and re-releae it in full colour as Tati had wanted it.
  • pneumatic
    Tati was a genius. However, like many geniuses, he eventually became obsessive. He staked his entire savings (not to mention his reputation) on a film about modernity called Playtime. To make the film, he had a huge futuristic film set built called Tativille (looked a bit like Docklands now does). The film is almost unwatchable. He lost everything making it. Still a genius, though!

http://www.tativille.com/

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations

• ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    I think if Michael Jackson had followed up 'Thriller' with an ambient album the reaction would have been similar to what Tati got with Playtime – some people get it/love it, most don't.
  • pneumatic
    I've tried really hard to get it, honestly. I've sat there straining to laugh out of respect for the man. But in the end, there's subtle and there's obscure. And Playtime is to obscurity what black humour is to slapstick.

Sorry.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations

• Anyone found A Sunday In Hell on dvd?
    all good things come to they who wait,here you go

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=001