£15 bike challenge

saintadolf
saintadolf Posts: 245
edited January 2008 in MTB general
my make bet me that i couldn't get a decent do it all bike for 15 quid and i wanted to prove him wrong so i came up with the 15 pound bike challenge (top gear style go for a ride and do a load of cr*p trying to prove your right and enevitabley be wrong)
rules are simple you have 15 quid to spend on the bike and accesories
YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO USE ANY OF YOUR OWN PARTS

thought it would be fun for some other peeps to try in the depths of winter when they dont want to ruin their trusty steed with all the mud and horse sh*t on the trails

only problem is i dont know wether i should go to the dump and try and get a cheap old rigid for like £3 and buy some random shiny bits to try and make it look better or to spend all £15 on an absolute beast of a second hand rust bucket
06 Kona Blast with RS Tora solo airs :)

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Go down the dump, easiest way to start with a frame at fitting parts, then singlespeed it.
  • yeah thats wat i thought do i just disable the deraillur to do that
  • Well some tips allow you to take away for free well local one to me does and this sounds a fun challenge may even find something with suspension. What about charity shops or even a pawn shop?
  • ride_whenever
    my singlespeed is from the dump...

here

Now has middleburn hardcoat 36 ring, 18th sprocket, stainless steel chain, trailrakers and a fizik gobi.
  • warm18
    warm18 Posts: 341
    i got my uni bike from the dump, pretty crappy with shocking brakes butit did me for a year or two going in and out of uni. got it for free and spent about 20 on it. included was a rear twist grip as the old one was knackered. single speeding would have been the way forward
  • Ciaran500
    Ciaran500 Posts: 348
    Go down to the local hardware rental shop. Get one of these
    heavydutyboltcuttersyf8.jpg

Then the world is your oyster :D
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    Ciaran500 wrote:

A little close to the bone for some of us here... There's probably some little scrote who took that advice riding around on a P7 right now... :cry:
  • i built a mongoose fireball frame with manatou static forcks truvitive bars and stem swampthing tires and some crappy weels without stickers on them
    cost of hole build=£10 i just need ball bearings for the headset cups!! the cranks are odd on a square taper BB but it works
    stephen hall
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    i've been thinking about a singlespeed commuter bike (no more than 5 miles at a time) the tip is sounding like a great idea, thanks guys.
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    Another good place to look is on your local Freecycle forum run by Yahoo Groups - Its basically a place for people to post their unwanted items for people to collect for FREE - its designed to stop landfill being clogged up with esentially usable items.

I have just got my mate an 8x6ft Shed! - for free! As he needs somewhere to store his bikes.

Plenty of bikes are on there, or you can post a wanted ad.

"I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • ride_whenever
    for singlespeed commuter, check out mine above, just put on some full slicks (i use 1.5" fatboys) and up the gearing to 16:36 and you're ready for most things. I used to commute 17 miles each way on it, including some moderately steep hills.
  • dirtbiker100
    for singlespeed commuter, check out mine above,
    i have already admired ;) at the moment i just swap onto my on-one inbred 1.5" slicks and it does alright but its a bit more pricey to leave it around than a tip bike :D
  • ride_whenever
    Yeah I can understand that. Tip bikes are great, fully rigid and single speed.

One of the guys round here has a flip-flop road bike with cut down 8" bars the whole thing is wrapped in black insulation tape, looks really cool but like utter sh*te if you get what i mean.
  • dirtbiker100
    yep thats what i'd do, probably use duct tape though. don't care what it looks like and i'm pretty good with bikes so i can get it working well cheaply too. I'd better start looking at it all!
  • found bike in a bush so it should be all got it works fine but doesnt have any brakes... :shock:
    so i'd better get out and look for some in a hedge
  • ride_whenever
    Just spend £15 on tyres, brakes on commuters are for girls, actually also araldite up the freehub/freewheel so it is fixed gear. No need for brakes and no one could actually steal it...
  • zero303 wrote:
    Ciaran500 wrote:

A little close to the bone for some of us here... There's probably some little scrote who took that advice riding around on a P7 right now... :cry:

Yeah, some f**kin chav had my club roost with monster tees and hopes using this method. I hope he ripped his face off on it.
    Cannondale Prophet MX
  • I have an old Raleigh Lizard in the shed (it was the wife's from years ago). Wonder if I should do a renovation project on it?
  • Hey, if you are looking for a cheap bike, check out the bumblebee auctions! It's where the police run their own ebay of all the stuff that is unclaimed after a certain amount of time! You could pick up a shockwave for a quid - wouldn't you be lucky! :wink:
    Proved by testing to be faster than a badger.
    The world's ultimate marmite bike
  • In fact here you go:

Land rover sajama pro:
    landroverdefendersajamaproonsand-400-90.jpg

Currently going for £2!!
    Looks a bit rougher and described as:Some rusting
    Front brake missing
    Torn saddle
    Poor condition

But hey, it's a reasonable frame to start with I'd imagine!
    Proved by testing to be faster than a badger.
    The world's ultimate marmite bike
  • I was recently given a road bike for free.Nice 531 ST steel frame,with Campag Centaur rear mech,Campag grip shifters,and flat carbon bars.

However,the wheels were junk,so once I swapped them for a good second hand set,bought new levers,drop bars,stem,cables,cassette,chain,levers,etc I must have spent £100 making it a reliable usable bike.

My mate just this week,retrieved an old Falcon rigid mtb from his local dump,and reckons he only need to buy a headset to make usable.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • i got my Giant Rincon for 1p so just keep looking gay boy. :D:lol: :P
    Pain is Temporary, Failure is Forever.
  • oi mate nuff with the gay boy i know where you live seb
  • ur bike u found in a bush its state
    u might aswell take it to the dump ( take ur kona whilst ur at it)
    get some proper pedels on
    and spend the £15 on a little pink basket Gone Girly Mad have one in.
    Pain is Temporary, Failure is Forever.
  • its not my fault its a state i found it in a bush so its the pikey who put it in the bush in the first place but i might just get that basket i'll ask mark if he'll knock a coupla quid off it fior me :D
  • stickman
    stickman Posts: 791
    For building cool bikes with as little money as possible check out:
    http://www.ratrodbikes.com
    The forum is packed with good stuff.
    Bikes, saddles and stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/
    More stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/

Gears - Obscuring the goodness of singlespeed