assemble integrated headset - grease the cups?

gkerr4
gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
edited January 2008 in Workshop
I'm getting the bits together for my new bike build and I am just wondering about the headset assembly.

It's an s-works roubaix frame which has an integrated headset - the specialized mindset with ceramic cartridge bearings - the carbon frame has pressed alloy cups with the 45deg contact area on which the cartridge bearings are a "drop-in" fit.

my question is - should I put a thin smear of grease into the cups before putting the cartrideg bearings in place?

I feel like I should to stop any creaks / squeaks etc - but at the same time I don't want the bearing assembly moving in the headset cups and causing wear in the contact area's

I've had a search around the park tools website but no clear guidance on whether I should or shouldn't grease the area - so what do people here think?

Thanks in advance
graham

Comments

• alan1
    alan1 Posts: 15
    GKERR4

I am building an Sworks Roubaix as well, on the Frame Installation Guide it says to Grease the Headset Cups, which I take to mean the cups that are pressed into the frame mine were already fitted when I got the frame, there is no mention of greasing the actual bearings.

Cheers
    alan
  • gkerr4
    does it say to grease the cups - I never noticed that part.

will look again at the sheet that came with the frame.
    just cut the steere tube so will put it back togethe again.

what spec you building your s-works up with?

thanks,

Graham
  • alan1
    alan1 Posts: 15
    I have ultegra SL wheel set and looking at the possibility of fitting Centaur carbon groupset just the slight issue with getting the cassette for the shimano hub,
    I was going to go for a full Ultegra SL build but after seeing the campag ergo levers and carbon crankset on the picture you posted , I am starting to come round to campag, Frame was a bargain though at £850 from Edinburgh Bicycle had it since October and am only just getting round to building it up, have a Stella Flite saddle in white and cheapish bars and stem for the time being till I work out what reach suits best.

Alan
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    Zinn (as in the Art of Road Bike Maintenance) says a thin smear of grease so thats what I did.
  • gkerr4
    done it - put a thin smear of grease on the cups as you say - the frame build instructions do actually say to grease the cups as alan pointed out.

wow - you got that frame for a bargain at £850- I thiought I was doing well at £995 but £850 for a £1500 frame is unbelievable!!

I've went for the full centaur groupset although it is being a right pain to actually get hold of. (see my "new frame has arrived - Whoo-hoo" thread for details!)

I've ended up with an ITM visia stem and bar combination which is Black alloy with red and white writing / graphics which really look well with the frame. I have Eurus wheels with red trimmed vittoria tyres and I have to say it is turning into a stunning looking bike - much better than I was expecting when I imagined the parts going together.. I'll try and post a pic later on.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Good general practise is to put grease on any two mating surfaces - even when fitted correctly, the bearings may move around and grease will prevent any fretting or creaking. The cartridge bearings come pre-packed with grease. The only debatable exception are BB/crank tapers.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..