Good Cycling Road Sign

chill888
chill888 Posts: 66
edited February 2008 in Campaign
Cycling Today in France in the Jura mountains I rode by several versions of the lower part of this sign.

Great.

1. Warns Cars that the road has frequent cyclists

2. Clearly shows that cyclists have a right to the road and should be given ample space.

(1.5 metres = about 5 feet. )

The world could use more of these

2214648106_a04402fb5a_m.jpg

Comments

• Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    Britain could use some of these: we have no such thing....

Thank you for showing us such wonderful things....
  • Oh no! a lovely sign but just think what british highway authorities will turn it into.

So far, the only widely used cycling orientated british road sign is 'cyclists dismount'

Although my reaction is to start erecting road signs that say 'motorists get out and push' maybe we do need to caimpaign for something

[/img]
  • Parkey
    Parkey Posts: 303
    harlow-dismounts.jpg
    "A recent study has found that, at the current rate of usage, the word 'sustainable' will be worn out by the year 2015"
  • that sequence of dismount signs is amazing (sad and depressing)
  • Parkey
    My favourite cycle "facility" is in Nottingham by the ringroad. There's a line down the pavement that means you can avoid riding on the wide dual carriageway, but be sure to stop and give way at each and every driveway and side road. Then when you get to a huge roundabout there's just a sign saying "rejoin main carriageway", right at the spot where drivers are looking to the right to look for oncoming traffic on the roundabout. The cycle track - sorry, pavement - continues on the other side of the roundabout. There isn't even a pedestrian crossing.

All of this shows on the sustrans map as a continuous green line.

"Rejoin main carriageway" is the other popular cycling sign in the UK. It's odd, because I'm usually already on it when I see them.
    "A recent study has found that, at the current rate of usage, the word 'sustainable' will be worn out by the year 2015"
  • one nice thing in Geneva is there are a lot of BUS only lanes. Cyclists are allowed to use these - usually meaning a huge lane all to one's self.
  • Jokull
    Jokull Posts: 248
    I'd much rather that Sustrans bought a job lot of signs similar to the one in the original post and put them up all over the country, rather than wasting money on 'facilities' which just act to reduce our right to use the roads.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Jokull wrote:
    I'd much rather that Sustrans bought a job lot of signs similar to the one in the original post and put them up all over the country, rather than wasting money on 'facilities' which just act to reduce our right to use the roads.

I concurr with the honourable gentleman
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    chill888 wrote:
    one nice thing in Geneva is there are a lot of BUS only lanes. Cyclists are allowed to use these - usually meaning a huge lane all to one's self.

I thought that was a nice thing about Geneva, too. That was until I got railed at by a bus driver for being in "his" lane. "C'est marque bus, monsieur!" (note the monsieur, they do road rage differently abroad!).

Happily, this incident occured just as I was leaving the city. If it had been earlier in the trip, I would have had a pretty hair-raising afternoon weaving through the traffic.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    I can't say I'm convinced that putting those signs up everywhere will do any more than, say, the speed limit signs.
  • Parkey wrote:
    harlow-dismounts.jpg

Where's that? :shock:
  • Parkey
    Parkey wrote:
    harlow-dismounts.jpg

It's in Harlow. Found it on a website called the Warrington Cycle Campaign

It has a caption too:

"Essex County Council is promoting cycling as an effective and enjoyable form of aerobic exercise to reduce the incidence heart disease, high blood pressure and obesity in the county. Unfortunately it was discovered that, rather than pedalling briskly, Harlow's cyclists were freewheeling down this gently sloping path. To counter this, signs have been introduced at regular intervals requiring cyclists to get off and walk.

This particularly daunting section, requires seven dismounts within a distance of 380 yards Note, how at each junction the kerbs are maintained on the downhill side of the path, thus ensuring that even the laziest cyclists gain the full health benefits from their activity."
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Parkey wrote:
    Parkey wrote:
    harlow-dismounts.jpg

It's in Harlow. Found it on a website called the Warrington Cycle Campaign

It has a caption too:

"Essex County Council is promoting cycling as an effective and enjoyable form of aerobic exercise to reduce the incidence heart disease, high blood pressure and obesity in the county. Unfortunately it was discovered that, rather than pedalling briskly, Harlow's cyclists were freewheeling down this gently sloping path. To counter this, signs have been introduced at regular intervals requiring cyclists to get off and walk.

This particularly daunting section, requires seven dismounts within a distance of 380 yards Note, how at each junction the kerbs are maintained on the downhill side of the path, thus ensuring that even the laziest cyclists gain the full health benefits from their activity."

and they say we don't live in a nanny state