26" Wheel/ATB Fixed?

meagain
meagain Posts: 2,331
edited January 2008 in Road general
Probably a bit infradig round here, but anyone running one? I want to get fixed (again) and want the wheel size compatability (both my geareds are 26ers).

I've built/owned more than a few fixeds, but any tips/hints specific to small wheelers welcome.
d.j.
"Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Suppose you could get a fixed hub put onto 26" rims. See you lbs
  • meagain
    True - and I do have a reasonably suitable hub in a 700 wheel and in relatively rare 135 OLN form! So phase 1 will be building into a 26" (shan't bother with LBS though).

Difficult bit it seems is getting a suitabe frame. Plenty of cheapish stuff for 700s (even cheaper for 27s!), but s/s specific mtb frames tend to the exotica and old horizontals are so cheap that no-one bothers selling them! Carrera Subway 8 is best bet, but being hub braked no mountings for Vs.

A Kona Unit would be ideal, but pricey!

Perhaps I have thought of all the options?
    d.j.
  • I built a 26'' MTB bike a short while ago. The main problem - as you might realise - is chain tension.

If you are looking for a cheap frame, and are not worried about the OLN dimension, an old - but not necessary poor quality - frame is the way to go. Specific fixed hubs are 120 mm.

If you cannot find such a thing and as you are in Nottingham (according to your profile) try a visit to the sales in Newark - on a Wednesday - where they have auctions of bicycles. They are usually bikes that no one wants and a virtually complete MTB that could be of use might cost you £10.

Sales are close to the Castle, just over the river trent from the town centre.

:D
    As one door closes, another slams in your face.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so what are you wanting to do on the fixie? there are many SS mtb frames out there with the ability to run fixed.

eg.. http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... d-08-27989

then identiti do the Hyde that has horizontally adjustable vertical dropouts that could be ok.

So a ridged or a front sus Fixie?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • meagain
    True, but as I said "s/s specific mtb frames tend to the exotica" - AND thus to the expensive!
    I'm thinking cheap! A 50 quid complete OLD atb (horiz d/outs and a screw on hub) would be fine, but not many on sale. S/s conversions are of course dirt cheap.
    Seemingly cheaper to do a 700/27" wheeled fixed conversion.
    Though I'm tracking a f'set on th'bay!
    d.j.
  • D.J.
    I have an old Philips tourer with 26 x1 3/8 or 37-590 tyres on.
    Its a single speed, so could be fixed, I believe the wheel is a different size 26" to mtb, but if you are going fixed you won't need to worry about a rear brake.
    Its a nice old bike in need of lots of work to get on the road, but with some nice parts.
    I am just outside Nottingham, you are welcome tohave a look at it, and make me an offer.1989658956_6771a2a0d7.jpg?v=0
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
    Enjoy the finest cycling in the Peak District.
    47, 75 and 111 mile routes.
    http://www.beestonccsportive.co.uk/
  • meagain
    Thanks velo - but a little too "retro" even for me I fear!
    d.j.
  • meagain wrote:
    Thanks velo - but a little too "retro" even for me I fear!

Ah well, must get round to doing the work on it myself someday.
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
    Enjoy the finest cycling in the Peak District.
    47, 75 and 111 mile routes.
    http://www.beestonccsportive.co.uk/
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    meagain true was not aware of the limitations. i am thinking of turning my old '84 ATB fixie. cant remember the OLD on that as originally it was a 5spd rear and ended up as a 7spd iirc1

happy hunting.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown