front height

Will Snow
Will Snow Posts: 1,154
edited January 2008 in The Crudcatcher
hey guys, just wondering if you knew any good ways to get the front of my bike lower??? i run standard 11/8 steerer, and im willing to get new headset, new stem, but no forks or handlebars (new an i like them).

i was thinking a short dmr headstock hould bring it down a bit, i taken a few headset spacers, any other ideas??? can you get low stack height headsets for 11/8ths??? cheers for ya time.
i ride a hardtail

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You can get lower headsets. Other options are a new fork, or adjust its travel, fllip your stem or new bars (which is what I'd do!!!)
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Flip the stem and run a smaller front wheel/let the front tyre down :roll:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Will Snow
    hmm... reckon a new stem (the one ive got is very long and high) would adjust the feel enough??? or should i go for the headset as well? oh and any suggestions on that, cant say ive ever seen one!!!
    i ride a hardtail
  • supersonic
    Keep the headset, you are complicating matters. Get a shorter, lower rise stem.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so what is the bike? and why do you want to lower the control area?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Will Snow
    erm its a dh hardtail, just been reading that a lower front end will help control a bit, and im willing to try it. ok, ill get the headstock, see what that does for matters. cheers!
    i ride a hardtail
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    A headstock is a large part of a lathe - I would imaging that would make the bike very difficult to control. :wink:

My preference for downhill and freeride, is a short highish stem so I can move move my weight backwards and avoid getting my centre of gravity in front of the front wheel (guess what happens if you do).

For XC I use a longer, lower stem so I can get weight over the bars to stop them lifting on climbs and so I can get a bit more out of the wind
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Will Snow wrote:
    erm its a dh hardtail, just been reading that a lower front end will help control a bit, and im willing to try it. ok, ill get the headstock, see what that does for matters. cheers!
    so again what bike?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Will Snow
    why does it matter??? but anyway:

n523910744_270073_6048.jpg

its in essence a four inch cross country frame that ive bolted a five inch fork to and caled a dh hardtail.

oh, and a headstock, ha:

3231.jpg

at http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=3231
    i ride a hardtail
  • supersonic
    Is it just me, or do I see that ending in tears and a crumpled downtube?!!!
  • Will Snow
    possibly, but its survived numerous black runs and dodgy landings to flat so far, and im not the kind of person to look to future anyway.
    i ride a hardtail
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    Will Snow wrote:
    3231.jpg

Ha, I laugh at your headstock and raise you

004004.jpg
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • Will Snow
    pffft....

cinelli_stafer_headstock.jpg

now thats a headstock!!!
    i ride a hardtail
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Flip that stem over, it will screw the handling up but if you REALLY want it lower..... They have about a 5 or 7 degree rise in them, so if you flip it over it gives a 5 or 7 degree drop. Might benefit from putting a shorter stem on it, it does look quite long for the angles on the bike with that fork. As long as you know that in time you run the risk of hitting the ground one time and;
    a) ripping off your head tube or
    b) ripping your downtube in half..........
    You do wear a FF helmet and a cricket box right? :lol:
  • Will Snow
    yeh ill think ill go for the headstock, and put it on upside down (0degrees rise, 50mm long)

...oh and generally if im doing anything bike ripping in halfable then ill wear a full facer...though theres no sign of cracks or groans yet. plus the frame itself is quite cheap..
    i ride a hardtail