Stainless steel chains: worth it?

N0bodyOfTheGoat
N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
edited January 2008 in Workshop
While Ribble have 20% off orders under £100 in their January sale, I came across Connex Wipperman 10S1 chains for £46 before reductions (considerably cheaper than Wiggle and CRC). The anti-rust property sounds good, as does the extended cassette and chainring life, for the sake of spending out on a relatively expensive chain.

Has anyone had any good or bad experience with stainless steel chains?
================
2020 Voodoo Marasa
2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
2016 Voodoo Wazoo

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just get an xtr for 25 quid retail or 21.27 here
    http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/products.php?plid=m2b0s179p576[/url]
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    Mine very quickly end up gritty and mucky, so I've never bothered going for a s/s chain.
    I did recently purchase a Campag. Vento. chain, which seemed a good price for negligible extra weight over an expensive chain.
    I like the look of the KMCs though.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Got a Dura Ace chain for about £18 recently...not worth the silly money unless you are a pro...won't really last any longer, far better replacing a good chain twice as often
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 1,048
    IMHO, I'd rather have 2 new chains in the life of a SS chain....Proper chain maintenance should prevent you from riding with a rust-brown chain.....
    Cajun
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yeah i wouldnt bother either.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    While Ribble have 20% off orders under £100 in their January sale, I came across Connex Wipperman 10S1 chains for £46 before reductions (considerably cheaper than Wiggle and CRC). The anti-rust property sounds good, as does the extended cassette and chainring life, for the sake of spending out on a relatively expensive chain.

Has anyone had any good or bad experience with stainless steel chains?

Interesting that you mention extended cassette and chainring life. I'm not up on all the
    latest but does this have any basis in fact or is it just hype? Anyone? Anyone ever use
    a mega expensive titanium chain?

Dennis Noward
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    Oops Vento=Veloce in my prev. post.
    Never worn out a cassette yet. I seem to end up buying new bits before that happens!
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    I've heard good things about other Wipperman chains. They should last longer than a Shimano chain anyhow.

Note that xtr chains are 9 speed. Anyway, if you are using a Shimano or Campagnolo chain, it's nice to join them with a Connex/Wipperman link.
  • My experience says don't bother with the SS chain. I had one (Wipperman SS) break on me last summer, (no injuries, thnk you) from a cracked side plate that let go. When I got home after repairing on the road, took off the SS chain to find 3 more cracked sideplates. The chain in question had less than 1,000 miles on it, and was well cared for in it's short, pathetic, noisy, ill-shifting lifetime. I run Campy Record 10 spd., and have vowed to ALWAYS use Campy chain. It's mo betta.[/img]
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 1,048
    I've never had a SS chain, but I don't see how it can avoid 'stretching' any less than any other chain. A over-stretched chain will wear out the teeth on the cogs....
    http://www.cptips.com/chain.htm
    Cajun