decisions on new bike

JetSnake
JetSnake Posts: 2
edited January 2008 in MTB general
Last year I went through a divorce. Then I bought a new bike, Trek 4300, to replace my 15 year old $100 bike from Target. Which turned out to be some good therapy as I cranked out some 30 miles days and about 300 miles for the year, I thought that was pretty good for my 35 year old fat arse.

Even though the 4300 worked great, I feel for getting this much enjoyment from riding bike, that I should upgrade to a bike that cost more then $400. I was looking at the Trek 6500, as that's the lowest model with fluid brakes. Oddly enough, I like the color of the Trek 8000 better. I was talking with a friend who has 8000 and says he doesn't like it because the frame creeks so much on it. I don't know, anyone else have this experience with the creeking 8000 frame? Or thoughts on anything else?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Probably nothing to do with the frame, but one of the many parts on it! The frames are very good!
  • Bouyaka
    Bouyaka Posts: 21
    The Trek 8000 is a very good bike as I read on french forum. I think it is a very good choice !!

Sorry for my english, I'm a little french....
    Normandy Mud !!!!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    hard tail frames don't creek, no moving parts. Only parts in the frame can creek/parts creeking against the frame.
  • dave_s
    dave_s Posts: 4,362
    Your friend should check the bottom bracket, cranks and chainset bolts, pedal bearings and seatpost first.
    I've had creaking before on frames and it's been from one those places.
    The weirdest creaking on one of my bikes though was a gear cable ferrule creaking inside a cable stop on my Heckler, Leisure Lakes found that one for me (I was stumped)
    Dave S