A little earner maybe

Bikedevil
Bikedevil Posts: 1,156
edited January 2008 in The Crudcatcher
Having just watched the youtube video of bike messengers going for glory in NY traffic I got thinking back to an idea that I had just before christmas.

Basically one morning last term (well just beofre noon) me and my house mate both had noon deadlines to meet so I took his work in for him (ifn exchange for a fag or a pint etc..) and as it was 11:50 when I set off on my steed I was going hell for leather and got both our works in by 11:59 even though its, on average, upposed to be 14mins into uni after locking up bike etc..

Anyhoo, I was thinking that maybe a nice little earner for me (and damn good exercise) would be to start offering coursework couriering services eg someone has some work to be in but doesn't want to pay for the bus just for that or have better things to do pays me a couple of quid or shouts some beers...whatever and I get their work in on time with no hassle.

What d'ya think to it?
Brought to you by:
Trix©orp Industries

For everything & anything pointless

Comments

• dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    don't see why not, see how many are interested.
  • joed05
    joed05 Posts: 794
    one big problem. people that don't know you will be anxious to let their coursework be taken somewhere by a stranger and then give it in. i t could be their future careers on the line if you think about it. for all they know you're copinying and selling on the coursework, effectively ruining their chances of a good grade if everyone else has the same paper. or you might have even changed bits on the coursework, amking it worse. if you are serious about doing it you're going to need approval of at least a couple of high-up people inside uni, something like that, and go round getting signatures stuff like that, you've got to make sure people trust you though.
    Best quote ever (pinkbike): "i've heard that Hill pees, deffecates, vomits and masturbates before each race to keep the weight down"
  • Bikedevil
    Well I was going to start with just mates and then see how it goes. I've also have been trying to devise some kind of reciept system with the person signing across the back of the envelope of collection etc and getting a signature at the other end and time etc...
    Brought to you by:
    Trix©orp Industries

• It just sounds like normal bike couriering.

You pick up package at location A, you drop off at location B.

Why would you limit yourself to just coursework?
  • Matteeboy
    Matteeboy Posts: 996
    Would you stick to Swansea?

Spent three years at Uni there - its not the biggest place in the world.
    Two Stumpjumpers, a Rockhopper Disk and an old British Eagle.

http://www.cornwallmtb.kk5.org
  • Bikedevil
    Well I'm timetabled for 21 hours a week in uni so don't have a great deal of time for riding, it was just an idea to make use of my going to and from "Location B" (uni) a hell of a lot more than most
    Brought to you by:
    Trix©orp Industries

• lot of responsibility doing that mate as if for some reason you dont get it in that one try gone with usually only one try left.someones life being messed with.

ive got an assignment to be handed in at York 60 miles away and to be honest i wouldnt trust anyone else but me to get it in, then only me to blame if owt goes wrong. :shock:
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    problem will be if something happend on the wayand you get it in late. The blame would be on you 100% then
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    you're a touch late as someone wasn't quite ready getting the coursework finished and then you get a puncture...

i dunno. with coursework deadlines it can be a bit nasty, not just like normal couriering where there isn't usually a big deadline