USB speed?

dirtbiker100
dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
edited January 2008 in The Crudcatcher
basically cutting to the chase. copying mp3's to mp3 player it seems to be using usb1.0 speed and not 2.0. can't see why, any ideas? the rest below is extra info and my thought process :)

Dragging and dropping mp3's from the computer onto my mp3 player takes ridiculously long.
creative zen stone plus - 2gb version brand new so will be USB 2.0 unless creative are truly retarded.
USB 2.0 port on the front of my computer. Sisoft Sandra identifies it as USB 2.0 running at 480mbps - the one that the mp3 player is plugged into. not sure how that is connected to the motherboard. i've got other ports on the back which are straight onto the motherboard and those are usb with a webcam and a wireless gaming mouse attached. just plugged the mp3 player into one of those and its still slow.

in theory 245mb of mp3's should copy in 40megabytes per second (480mbps allowing for general slowing down)? so whats that 7 seconds? thats correct so far?

any ideas why it takes 6.5 minutes? thats 1.6megabytes per second. what the hell? thats usb 1.0 speed isn't it? how can i correct this?
in device manager i've tried updating driver can't find anything better than what's there, put in original mobo driver cd and it says usb 2.0 driver is installed.
help.
please?

Comments

• Bouyaka
    Bouyaka Posts: 21
    Have you had a particularly software with your mp3 ? Because it can come from the generic driver uses by your computer and the software can also install the good driver. I never saw that before but it could be possible. You can check last firmware available on creative site (if it exists). I hope this will help you.

Sorry for my english, I'm a little french....
    Normandy Mud !!!!
  • I will try to explain as best I can, but it is something i can 'get', not understand.
    USB2.0 runs at 480Mbits/second, not 480MBs/second. the difference is there are 8 bits to a byte. therefore the maximum speed that you USB2.0 connection can run at is 480/8=60.
    Therefore your estimation of 7-10 seconds would be accurate. In reality it cna only run at 40MB/sec, but this is still if the mp3 is the only device using the usb interface, i.e all other devices are unplugged.
    the rest of the slowing down could be file conversion taking place, and the fact that although the connection may be USB2,0, the mp3 may just not be able to write to its inbuilt memory at that speed. all i would say is be patient, and if it gets too bad see if there are any programs that are slowing the PC down.
    hope that was of some help,
    Mike
  • dirtbiker100
    edited January 2008
    ha ha it almost is a case of doing it overnight.
    just realised there was something else i didn't write - i've got ubuntu linux on dual boot and i haven't set it up etc yet so I still use windows. I tried copying files on linux and it took 45 seconds instead of nearly 7 minutes...
    my logitech G7 wireless gaming mouse is connected via usb but it is in linux obviously as well.

i shall look into your ideas Bouyaka and Mike, thanks ride too ha ha.

/edit
    disconnected mouse - the only other thing really using usb, and no change.
    moving stuff from mp3 player to computer takes less than a minute, going the other way from computer to mp3 player takes 7 minutes...
    bizarre
  • dirtbiker100
    Ubuntu rocks, love it...
    it does just i've got a very personalised setup on windows with desktopX and sysmetrix
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/Anoobis/desktop1-1.jpg
    and also i need to look into using all my buttons on my mouse
    and find out when unreal tournament 3 is out on linux...
    THEN i will swap. i will. i must!
    already use openoffice, thunderbird for email and firefox so weaning myself off microsoft ha ha
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Is that your start bar along the left? How did you do that?
  • dirtbiker100
    no the startbar is hidden but still there. when i click the text a drop down box appears with all the shortcuts in there. much cleaner and better than loads of desktop icons. if i had all the shortcuts in those as desktop icons it'd fill the whole screen, two clicks to open a program so takes no longer.
    new background and the dropdown box shown, no cursor though obviously with windows print screen :)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/Anoobis/desktop2.jpg
  • Jimbob_no5
    Jimbob_no5 Posts: 1,568
    ive had a zen and its not the quickest at copying songs over and the software is crap apart from mediasource
    Pinkbike

I believe in only 2 things in life.
    1) Drink is not my friend
    2) D-Locking cnuts ;)
  • if its that much quicker in linux then id just put it down to all the c**p in wondows slowing things up
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    It's probably the write performance of the flash ram - probably ~10Mb /s
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    You want to use USB 3.0. Slightly faster transfer speeds
    With speeds of 4.8 Gbit/s (600 MB/s)
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • redvee wrote:
    You want to use USB 3.0. Slightly faster transfer speeds

that doesnt exist yet...
  • dirtbiker100
    not until 2009 if i remember correctly?
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Isn't there a newer cable connection with higher speeds than USB 2.0? Firewire IIRC.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs