What is it that actually turns you on when you ride?

easyg
easyg Posts: 266
edited January 2008 in The Crudcatcher
Having read a thread that started a couple of days ago I thought I would attempt to start a discussion topic with some longevity and hopefully one that will receive interest from other members who haven't felt comfortable posting in the sandbox to date.

What actually is it about biking that gets you :?:

For me, its the exposure to mother nature :mrgreen: and that smell of dense conifer covered forests with the associated moist feeling on your face (especially if it is real early morning), alongside going through them as fast as my balls will allow - notably my other thing is actually stacking it or watching a mate take one for the team (not too seriously obviously) and then proceeding to laugh about it when recapping in the car on the way home with a choccy bar in hand. In fact, me and GT Destroyer, another reprobate some of you will know on here, were laughing only the other day about an incident that occured to him back in feb last year. - particularly the look on his face in super slow mo as he lost control going slowly down a very steep hill, proceeded to lock his legs tight under his handlebars, feet on the ground next to his front tyre and then doing a forwards roll with his mountain bike down the hill and getting the accompanying tap on the back of the head from the saddle for dessert! - actually laughing out loud right now - so funny.

Think about it and let everyone know what it is (in as much detail as you like) that turns you on about biking?
"If you think straight enough, you can see round corners"

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    The sense of achievement of cleaning a technical climb, the warm glow of self satisfaction I get after a ride knowing however bad it was it's done me some good. Getting covered in cack without worrying about it (new discovery for me this year this one). Feeling like I do something a bit special that most members of the non-biking world think is a bit difficult / mental etc. (even though it isn't really).

(best feeling is being out on the moors very early on a summer morning when it's still cold but the sun is shining and it's really quiet, can't beat it).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Loads of things! The view from 3/4 of the way up the Whites level climb - the feeling they call "flow" when you're moving perfectly in synch with your bike on a brilliant descent, the speed I can take corners on my road bike and then feeling it "kick" as you straighten it up and put the power down.......
    The happy tired feeling after an epic all day ride and the buzz and laughing after a great, technical and scary descent with the mates.
    F*ck wish I was on my bike now and not at poxy work! AND WORKING TONIGHT AND TOMORROW!!!!!! AARRGH!
    Riding Sunday though come what may.
  • For me there's several things that drag me out of bed on Sunday morning to get on my bike.

Just the pysical activity side of it makes me feel good. I suppose you can link this to many different sports and activities, but the wonderful buzz you get from getting the blood really pumping hard around your body, and that fantastic "exhausted but satified" feeling at the end of a ride.

Being on the edge of control is a good buzz too. I don't often stack it. I tend to have 2 or 3 near misses, each one caused by the evasive maneouvre of the last, before coming to a stop fairly safely. I'm not out to kill myself, just to know that I'm pushing a little faster and harder each time.

The most important part though is that fabulous feeling you get when it all comes together. That half flying/half swooping feeling as you go through a section of track not necessarily ridiculously fast, but with great poise, balance and efficiency (Doesn't happen that often for me, but it feels like it from time to time! :oops: ). When you get your body and the bike working together to soak up the bumps, glide round the corners and generally fly over some ridiculous surface. There's lots of people in many sports who go super quick or super big, there's only a few who can do it super smooth too. Those are the ones I really enjoy watching!

All three of these are the things that I love about Snowboarding and Windsurfing too.

Edit: Took my a long time to write this; in the mean time clanton summed it all up with the word "flow"! That sounds like exactly what I meant!
    Proved by testing to be faster than a badger.
    The world's ultimate marmite bike
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I just like being out - in the open, the views, nayure, fresh air, all that. Then blasting downa rocky DH at 40mph, thats quite nice too!
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    dabbing. its soooo moto, and i love it when my bike slips away from me and i just dab my inside foot without thinking, an come out even quicker. spose its flow...

if i have one memorable moment in a ride, it was worth it. even if its a twenty mile road ride, ten minutes of off roading and back again :D
    i ride a hardtail
  • That adrenaline boost you get from walking away from a massive accident with hardly a scratch. It's nice to know where the limit is without going too far over it!
    Also finishing off a killer of a ride and collapsing in the car park barely able to breathe because you're so tired, but happy to have made it round in record time.
    "The problem was, I was still using my eyes even though I had them shut"

Demoted to commuting duty

Orange Crush!
  • clanton
    The most important part though is that fabulous feeling you get when it all comes together. That half flying/half swooping feeling as you go through a section of track not necessarily ridiculously fast, but with great poise, balance and efficiency (Doesn't happen that often for me, but it feels like it from time to time! :oops: ). When you get your body and the bike working together to soak up the bumps, glide round the corners and generally fly over some ridiculous surface. There's lots of people in many sports who go super quick or super big, there's only a few who can do it super smooth too. Those are the ones I really enjoy watching!

Edit: Took my a long time to write this; in the mean time clanton summed it all up with the word "flow"! That sounds like exactly what I meant!

Yes - but your way is far more eloquent! As you say doesn't happen often (to me anyway) but when you get "it" it is simply fantastic.
  • Just being out and about - taking scenery in - getting away from all the shite of day-to-day stuff. Great to be on your own sometimes - nice and early on a sunny but crisp morning (around this time of year normally)

I love challenging runs - and pushing myself as much as I can
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    the end of a ride is my favourite. i like my bike to be dirty, my kit to be soaked through and the tired feeling of having worked hard.

even if i have had a rubbish ride and wasnt enjoying it as i was gong round my route and thinking to myself this is pump, as soon as i have finished, i find reasons to behappy about the ride i just did, i always manage to forget the bad bits and even some of them feel likegood ones at the end.

plus its the perfect excuse for some guilt free tea and cake.

(ps i also love when a ride goes well,but still love the end)
  • clanton
    plus its the perfect excuse for some guilt free tea and cake.
    quote]

Yeah - or a bacon butty!
  • piece and quiet.... top of the first climb on the marin trail.. Fast.flowing single track and technical twisty stuff....

Not going upwards though... :roll:
    thinking happy thoughts....before the pixies steal them..

www.homersbikes.co.uk
  • the adrenalin of doing a nice big set of stairs. and the sense of proudness when you pull off an insane drop or trick when all your mates say "you'll never do it, the ambulance is on speed dial"
    that is what keeps me hooked.
    if you're not crashing, you're not trying.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I always enjoy doing stupid things, but what really gets me out is having a chance to totally beat the crap out of myself, I just love the knackered feeling you get at the end of rides.
  • dhxcme
    dhxcme Posts: 1,467
    pulling off a big jump or drop.
  • It's that scared feeling you get in the pit of your gut when you know this is going to hurt, but it never does...then you think "shit" my bike!
    You always check your bike 1st...then you look at yourself knowing you will heal...but the bikes going to cost ya! :D

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1695431/
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    stumpyjon wrote:
    The sense of achievement of cleaning a technical climb, the warm glow of self satisfaction I get after a ride knowing however bad it was it's done me some good. Getting covered in cack without worrying about it (new discovery for me this year this one). Feeling like I do something a bit special that most members of the non-biking world think is a bit difficult / mental etc. (even though it isn't really).

(best feeling is being out on the moors very early on a summer morning when it's still cold but the sun is shining and it's really quiet, can't beat it).

That for me sums it up very well!

I love just doing stupid things on the bike, going up metal hills, and down crazy trails, that normals people would think, hang on a minute, i ain't doing that.
    Also the health factor
    beautiful countryside
    fresh air
    satisfaction for nailing a hill/decent
    the grin you get from buzzing down singletrack with the only sound you can hear is a noisy freewheel, and occasional swear word as you/your mates takes a weird line.

Just love the sport!!!
  • Mike Deere
    Mike Deere Posts: 4,259
    Adrenaline, Endorphin and Dopamine.

In that order.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    Several things really.

I like the getting away from it all, the suspense of not knowing what will come next, the adrenaline from a really fast/though section, the achievement when you feel yourself improving and take on that challenge you have been building yourself up to and succeeded...

i go go on all day.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • GT Destroyer
    GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
    I just thought of another for me... that thing that happens when you are doing a relatively new trail and you take a section with real pace and start flying off sh1t right on the edge, pull it all off and then begin to laugh uncontrollably at how awesome it was.

I love the word 'flow' clanton - that thing when you and your bike become one and the elemental feelings of biking are at their most powerful.
  • I have to say that 'though I love flow on a bike, It's not quite up there with flow on a snowboard in my mind. Or the madness that is a fully powered up windsurf board, but biking does come incredibly close, and it's easier to get out and do.
    Proved by testing to be faster than a badger.
    The world's ultimate marmite bike
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I just thought of another for me... that thing that happens when you are doing a relatively new trail and you take a section with real pace and start flying off sh1t right on the edge, pull it all off and then begin to laugh uncontrollably at how awesome it was.

I love the word 'flow' clanton - that thing when you and your bike become one and the elemental feelings of biking are at their most powerful.

all sounds a bit like this spiritual training stuff you hear "at one with your bike" but its true! the best riding comes when you stop thinking and just ride.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • god1406
    god1406 Posts: 554
    i agree with Dav1, it's when you ''stop thinking and just ride''.

I noticed this when i got a new bike, after riding my 2003 kona stuff to death. It becomes more about the bike and less about actually enjoying riding.

Other than that, it's definatley the tight clothing and exposed, hairless flesh that does it for me :)
  • Matteeboy
    Matteeboy Posts: 996
    The sounds of a barrel, the joy of being able to totally disregard gravity, the smack of the board off a lip.

Damn, wrong forum again!

Just love being "in the groove" and battering along singletrack almost "floating" over every obstacle. 8) :D
    Two Stumpjumpers, a Rockhopper Disk and an old British Eagle.

http://www.cornwallmtb.kk5.org
  • grommet
    grommet Posts: 636
    Everything.
  • Matteeboy
    grommet wrote:
    Everything.

Even:

Falling off?
    Fixing flat tyres?
    Slicing yourself up trying to clean chainrings?
    Being shouted at by walkers/motorists?

:wink::lol:

• hey, it's all part of the experience.
    and if we didnt love it all would we spend hours down the frozen garage fiddling with our brakes to get them 'just right' or slicing ourselves up cleaning our chainrings with a toothbrush? and is there any moment more filled with adrenaline than when you fall off and are flying through the air before you land? and lets face it, fixing flats are a good way to get a rest!
  • Matteeboy
    Well compared to sitting in the sea in a freezing Easterly wind, so cold that you cant even talk with tonnes of salty, icy water being dumped on your head every few seconds, it's a breeze :D