Juddering, make it stop!

steowen
steowen Posts: 59
edited January 2008 in Workshop
Morning all,

Just started using my 'cross bike as a commuter as I'm recovering from a hernia op and my Dr. told me to steer clear of fixies for a few months. Thing is I'm getting really bad wheel/fork judder when applying the front brakes (Tektro Oryx cantilevers). I've done all the obvious; toed in the pads, tightened the brakes to the fork, I've even put my Ksyrium Elite front wheel on and while all have reduced it, if I brake hard I still get serious juddering and squealing - not very safe while slamming on!

What's the next steps? I'm happy to replace the fork (Kinesis Crosslight) as I've heard these are particularly susceptible or would replacing the brakes with mini V's work? I'm even thinking of using dual pivots with clearance for 28c knobblies?

Help, I'm at my wits end!
All that glitters is probably glass

Comments

• Have you checked if the headset is loose?, or maybe you need to clean the brake blocks/rims as you may have picked up some unwanted grit etc on your commute.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Interesting point that I just found, although he doesn't say why ?

The bike that I use for my winter training ( about 4 spins in total this year ) is a Ridley Crossbow . In actual fact this is a cyclocross bike converted with slick tyres and mudguards for road use . In motoring terms this would be a Landrover freelander , capable both on and off road . It is a comfortable bike although a bit on the heavy side , and does also suffer from some fork judder under braking as do most cyclocross bikes .
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It's normally the consequence of a longer fork and longer brake leverage, making it pretty difficult for the brakes to bite smoothly and evenly. Loose headsets, brake alignment and rim trueness/wear all consire to making braking 'grabby'. Now where was that thread on fitting disc brakes - as I've forgotten how bad judder can be since switching to discs on my crosser!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I don't think much of the Tektro Oryx cantis. I had a bit of judder/squealing with them as well and found them impossible to adjust exactly right. Swapped them out for frogs legs cantis (available from On One).
  • I had exactly the same problem, tried all the usual adjustments and alternative pads to no avail. I even fitted a fork brace which helped stop the brake squeal but the brakes were OK for a while and then became grabby again. I have since replaced the fork and fitted an Avid BB7 disc, but not tried it in anger yet.
  • I ride a Tricross sport with Tektro Oryx canti's and suffered horrendous fork judder right from the word go, as have many owners. Having tried cleaning rims, toe-ing in etc I eventually cured mine problems by fitting Koolstop dual compound inserts. Not only solved the judder but improved the overall braking too.

In my case I think the hardness of the pads has something to do with this effect, which seems common.

Regards

AP
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    It's down to the forks I'm afraid-I converted to Alpina cross forks on mine-got rid of the problem

I have since put some Bonty forks on it, so they are FS 1 1/8" with a fair amount of steerer available, canti bosses and MG eyes

PM me if interested
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    Monty Dog wrote:
    .....switching to discs on my crosser!
    Monty - What type did you go for? Seems most systems are hydraulic, and seem quite heavy - wondered if you'd find any good cable alternatives, and what the pros/cons were?

I take it the canti. bolts are tight? You could always try a softer compound block a la Duckfoot1606, although as mentioned above there are probably bigger issues already listed.

Regarding dual-pivots, I find them less effective than the alternatives - though I don't like Cantis. My 57mm deep-drop Tektros (and fork to match) will allow 28c tyres, but I think the mudguard would have to go or be very well adjusted.
    I think Shimano make the best deep drops, though the Tektro Quartz got a good review in Cycling Weekyly (Kinesis).