Help me with my drivetrain

The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited January 2008 in MTB general
Trying to finish my Mythic build - especially the drive train. Very nearly there......

I was going to run a front mech but now I have decided not too.

Already I have an X0 rear mech medium cage (although should I change this to a supershort - still can return to CRC and exchange) and an X0 RH rear shifter

I had bought a double ring diabolus crank set but have now decided I want to run a Saint single ring. Also I sent back the E13 DRS as I knew I was going single ring

The help I need from you is the configuration of the rest of it, specifically:

Cassette (what ratios etc) do I go 'normal' i.e., 11-32t or go for a smaller range?

Number of teeth on Saint single ring: 38, 40, 42?

And what E13 device (including bash guard) for a single ring Saint

This is a play bike and won't be doing long rides or anything - I want to be able to get up some hills easily enough....

Help.... :?

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    If you want to ride up the hills get a 36/38 ring and an 11-34 cassette, you'll get up most stuff with that. I think you'll need either the srs (36/38tooth size as above) or the lightguide.
  • Great stuff - thanks! :D

How about cage length? Would medium be OK?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    You can always run a longer mech than you need, but it is more prone to getting knocked. If you don't plan on going to dual rings up front then i'd say get the super short one for safety.
  • Excellent. Sorted then.

I am going for the following:

Shimano Saint single ring 38T

eThirteen LG1 (ICSG 05)

SRAM X0 supershort rear mech (will ask CRC for exchange for my medium)

SRAM PG980 11-34 cassette

:wink:
  • paulf2007
    paulf2007 Posts: 341
    I thought you said you were going to ride trails with the mythic, if so I would sugest you keep the medium cage in case you decide to run two rings.
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    paulf2007 wrote:
    I thought you said you were going to ride trails with the mythic, if so I would sugest you keep the medium cage in case you decide to run two rings.

What paul said. The medium is pretty low profile and gives you the option to add chainrings later should you so desire :wink:
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Yep - you're right boys - future proofing it is a must considering how much I change my mind! :lol: