Urgent Help - Replacement Cassette and Chain Required

bren_gun
bren_gun Posts: 21
edited January 2008 in Workshop
As a mountain biker under conversion to the dark side :D I am clueless on roadie matters. My road bike (Giant OCR) currently has a Campagnolo 9 Spd 12-23 cassette in URGENT need of replacement. I have a triple chainring up front and there are some good hills around here. What make/model of cassette should I eplace it with and where is good value with quick delivery for this type of thing? Should I swap to Shimano or are these bits not interchangeable?

Many thanks!

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    shimano and campag casettes are not interchangable - the casette carrier on the hub uses a different spline pattern

you don't say what range of campag it is - but I would say have a look at probikekit at the moment - they seem very cheap on cassettes** at the moment - I have just ordered a centaur one from them. the campag range goes (in order lowest range to highest) xenon, mirage, veloce, centaur, chorus, record.

you will get a choice of cassette ratio too - either replace 12-23 or give yourself an easier time on the hills with a 12-25 or whatever really...

** I say "very cheap" but I mean "cheap for campag cassettes - which are notably more expensive than their shimano counterparts
  • Many thanks for the swift reply, Campagnolo it is! I don't really understand the gear ratio part but it seems I should go for a higher second number for getting up hills. My current cassette is a fairly basic one so would probably upgrade. Any chains that are particularly good/bad with campy cassettes?