QR Skewers

abbots_mike
abbots_mike Posts: 280
edited January 2008 in MTB general
Just something that occurred to me earlier whie repairing my third puncture so far this year!
I got bored and fell to examining my QR skewer.
now, sheldon brown says that the enclosed cam type are better, but it seems that only shimano make these. any opinions/ reasons why? anyone know ifthere is any real difference between the two?

just to clarify:

enclosed cam:
skewer-internal.jpg

Open cam:
skewer-external.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    other people do make closed but they are just harder to find.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • and whether they are better is a different question....... :wink:
  • Thats partly why i asked. ive only ever used the bog standard shimano ones that came with my bike and they havent failed me yet. one bike had the same set for four years!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They are generally better. I agree with Sheldon: but if you can get sufficient clamping force with your exiisting skewers then move on lol! Shimano generally make this easier to judge
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    now, sheldon brown says that the enclosed cam type are better, but it seems that only shimano make these.

Campagnolo invented the quick release skewers and they make the enclosed type aswell.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • hamboman
    hamboman Posts: 512
    Maybe the enclosed ones are better at keeping the dirt out and therefore reduce the amount of grit that grinds down the metal.
  • xcracer
    xcracer Posts: 298
    I have one of each on my MTB and I have to say that I think the enclosed cam type are better. I don't know why but they just feel more solid. The skewers on my road bike are enclosed cams and they are nice too.
  • I must admit I love my XTR enclosed skewers - feel great and inspire confidence

But saying that I was running Salsa Flip offs for a while and they were very good