Route Variation

manc_ian
manc_ian Posts: 166
edited January 2008 in MTB general
Hi people.

I was out today doing a local route around Hayfield & Chinley which i do quite often and i just started thinking about wether other people do the same routes on a regular basis or how they vary each route from ride to ride.

I live in New Mills so just on the outskirts of the peak district. I can do loops around Hayfield, Marple, Rowarth straight from my back door and places like Castleton, Hope & Ladybower are only about 20 min drive away so i get to do routes around these places quite alot (but i do prefer the local loops so i dont have to drive). I also have a trip to north wales (CYB, Penmachno, etc) every 3-4 months when i get time.

Im just wondering how everyone varies their riding and routes and do you tend to drive to places or do you prefer local loops straight from your house.

Cheers

Ian

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I prefer local routes straight from the house (but then I'm lucky and can go 15 miles in most directions on the moors without resorting to tarmac). I have two basic local routes (8.5 & 12.5 miles) which I use as training routes, the 12.5 mile route has a lot of climbing in it. I can gauge how well I'm doing as I've done the routes loads of times before.

For my longer rides I like to vary where I go, I may follow the same general route each time but try and use different bridleways to complete the same loop. Hoping to go further afield this year, but with so much riding locally it's a bit difficult to justify with the other half (and I hate the hassle of putting bikes on the car).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result