Fat Burning

bigmug
bigmug Posts: 58
Last weeks comic had a big article on fat burning. Any views from some of you experts on this?

There dose seem to be a functional evolutionary logic to our fat usage but could one run (albeit at low output) on fat indefinitely? How does the 'fats burn in a carbo fire' chesnut square up - how much carbo would be needed for most efficient fat burnig - say per hour if one was going for (almost) a pure fat burning ride, would such a ride have to a long one or could you preface short rides with a megre diet? - Not a weight loss fanatic but just interested in reconciling what sometimes seems conflicting information.

Comments

• I haven't seen the article in question but the topic has been well covered before on here. Suggest doing a search on the topic first - then maybe ask questions.

Basically, if you want to lose weight, then you need a sensible* daily/weekly calorie deficit.

To maximise the calories burnt then you ride as hard as you can sustainably do so given the time constraints you have to ride each day/week etc. It doesn't much matter what proportion of fuel sources the body uses along the way.

* it is important not to undereat as this will lead to degraded training performance and an inability to sustain the training workload.

Obviously this doesn't apply to sprinters! :wink:
  • normanp
    normanp Posts: 279
    I have been trying using only water on rides up to 1 1/2 hours as Joe Beer suggested some time ago. This seems fine when riding but when I get home (especially if it is cold) I can't stop myself eating too much... Maybe I should put something in the bottle when riding or carry a small snack? I think riding habitually with stuff in the bottles could cause tooth decay though..
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    normanp wrote:
    I have been trying using only water on rides up to 1 1/2 hours as Joe Beer suggested some time ago. This seems fine when riding but when I get home (especially if it is cold) I can't stop myself eating too much... Maybe I should put something in the bottle when riding or carry a small snack? I think riding habitually with stuff in the bottles could cause tooth decay though..

If you only ride with water you'll need to keep the effort level down... or eat the fridge on return!. Anything strenous over an hour probably needs food (as part of your total daily intake.)

If you're worried about tooth decay take 'real food' (fruit/sarnie), eat it in 1-3 bits, rinse well with water afterwards. This is a good idea in the winter because often you don't drink as much (tho' you do sweat even when its cold!)
    :)
    Alternatively leave something healthy out to eat on your return and eat ONLY that - not theh whole fridge!