Simple Snobbery!

meagain
meagain Posts: 2,331
edited January 2008 in Road general
On my part, that is, I fear.

Looking for a cheap fixed. Wander into nearby CHEAP cycle "supershop". Find an 18 spd "town bike". With horizontal rear drop outs and a 6 spd screw on block. So an easy and dirt cheap conversion. Complete with 'grds and a rack. In the Sale - reduced from 170 to 99 quid!

Tell myself that really I want a 26" wheeler, not 700s. So don't buy it.

More likely reason? It says "Ammaco" on the stickers!! And I've never bought such a cheap new bike.

Foolish? Think I should go back tomorrow?
d.j.
"Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    For that money, it's probably made of re-cycled scaffold tubes.

If it were me, I'd look on the Bay for an unloved 2nd hand frame of decent quality tubing (which you are obviously already doing) and use that for the project.
  • At that price, it will probably be the worst bike you've ever owned! Give it a miss. Resist going back.
  • doubt is was EVER £170.

This type of "discount" is common from some large retailers (Halfords for one) and is not exactly legal.
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • meagain
    "I'd look on the Bay for an unloved 2nd hand frame of decent quality tubing (which you are obviously already doing) and use that for the project."

Yes, obviously, but it sure can't be done the odds and ends route for that sort of money!

"it will probably be the worst bike you've ever owned!"

Well, it will be just as good as the only bike I ever had as a teenager - cousin's late '40s Rudge (badged by Raleigh) - and which I ran as a fixed after the SA exploded. Took me everywhere between '60 and '67! The 99 quid one even has alloy rims.

The days of 50 quid fixed conversions are long gone, simply because here at least 25 quid GOOD 10 speeders no longer fill the Classifieds. Rarely see a half-decent frame on th'bay for less than 75, add in the rest and looking at 200 up.
    d.j.
  • Dickie
    Dickie Posts: 1,489
    Dave, I have a 60s 22.5" Dawes red feather (I think). Yours for the price of the courier. Let me know.
  • meagain
    Dickie, I'll mail you!! Thanks!
    d.j.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Slightly OT....

We tried to buy a table at MFI some years ago. A little more exensive than th ereats, but exactly what we wanted. It wasn't for sale.

What it was doing was satisfying the sale criteria.

We bought it another MFI - far cheaper.

The table we looked at was the one at full price - so when we bought it at a "sale price" they could genuinely say that it was for sale atthe ful rice in XXX branch!

So the sale prices are therefore legal
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)