how far can you wheelie?

whelieking27
whelieking27 Posts: 341
edited January 2008 in The Crudcatcher
how far can you wheelie? :twisted:
if you're not crashing, you're not trying.

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Actually not many people can pull wheelies for any distance. It's kind of an art that most people just can't do. The ones that can are naturals and have been able to do it since they
    were children. Not me though, I'm unnatural.

Dennis Noward
  • NEILHEAD
    NEILHEAD Posts: 435
    I can do about 2 inches then im all wobbly and get scared :oops:
    Never trust a man with facial hair.

http://neilhead.pinkbike.com/album/my-bike/
  • I don't mean to show off or any thing but my furthest is about 2 miles- all the way to work.
    i've only ever done it once, the rest are about a mile.

a few tips to an awesome wheelie are;
    . don't pull too hard on the bars - it's easy to flip off the back and does your arms no favours.

. don't go too fast - this can lead to a lack of control and will be even more painful in the event of a crash.

. learn to cover the back brake, this combined with the above , will lead to control of speed and keep you going for longer.

Remember it doesn't come naturaly , it takes time like all things; the more practise you get the better you will become.
    it took me the best part of 5 years to perfect it ( i'm 16 now )and now i am glad i kept at it, i can't go anywhere in my town without at least one person telling me to pull a wheelie.
  • Bikedevil
    Bikedevil Posts: 1,156
    Im still trying to get my stink to manual, its a tad heavier than my X-Cess which had a really easier balance point
    Brought to you by:
    Trix©orp Industries

For everything & anything pointless
  • try setting the rear shock to a softer setting, that's what helped me to manual
  • i really would be interested to see how far the 'professionals' can wheelie.
  • Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    xc professionals most of them not very far. Personally i cant wheelie at all best ive done is about 15m before i ran out of room
  • 27 miles
  • who can wheelie 27 miles you or a professional. i find 27 miles quite hard to beleive, it must be a world record wheelie at that distance
  • yes, that is one hell of a wheelie, but i mean non stop, he obviously had to stop day to day.
  • does any one know what the longest non stop wheelie is.
  • who can wheelie 27 miles you or a professional. i find 27 miles quite hard to beleive, it must be a world record wheelie at that distance

Just jest my man - a few beers were had yesterday :wink:
  • fair enough. :lol:
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    I've done 5 miles before, not trying to show off or anything, but I'm really really cool
  • im not aiming to offend anyone here, but i thought the whole purpose of doing long wheelies was to show off?!
    best i've ever done was bout 100 yards on my way home from school. i think the heavy rucksack had somethin to do with it tho!
    rest of the time i can only get a few yards :cry:
  • dirtbiker100
    im not aiming to offend anyone here, but i thought the whole purpose of doing long wheelies was to show off?!
    it is which is what's so funny about "wheelyking"
  • do you think being able to wheely helps when coming to riding?
    Specailized Enduro 08 - Beast
    OnOne 456
  • yes, it does. it helps you to get up and over obstacles easier.
  • dirtbiker100
    yes, it does. it helps you to get up and over obstacles easier.
    nah you don't need to be able to wheely a long way just to get up and over an obstacle. being able to bunnyhop is fairly important but not wheelys.
  • i meant it helps if you can get your front wheel up, not neccesarily wheelie.
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Could be helpful if you break your front wheel, or if someones nicked it after a few jars down your local!
  • i wouldnt say being able to wheely would help, but keeping most of your weight off the front (or the back) is helpful. spesh wen youve got a puncture in your front wheel and are 4 miles from home!
  • Matteeboy
    Matteeboy Posts: 996
    About six feet :oops: :oops:
    Two Stumpjumpers, a Rockhopper Disk and an old British Eagle.

http://www.cornwallmtb.kk5.org
  • oh well , it'll come with a bit of practise, you've got to start somewhere.
    thanks ABBOTS MIKE , that was what i was trying to explain earlier, being able to unweight the front wheel .
  • clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    a couple of metres.
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • i can offer only two tips if you want to wheely well enough to show your mates up.

1) Google it. there are loads of good sites giving good advice[/list]
    2) Remember that you can *almost* always stay upright when you fall off the back. it is a lot easier and less painful for you and the bike than braking hard and slamming the front down.

I offer this advice as things i am learning through practicing when im bored, not through the fact im any good!
  • pete236
    pete236 Posts: 204
    spesh wen youve got a puncture in your front wheel and are 4 miles from home!
    is there a way to do a 5 mile nose wheelie? would keep the weight off the punctured back tyre . . .
    maximum wheelie was about 10 feet - so much easier with a Trials motorbike!

One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead men got up to fight. Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other.
  • don't think many people can do a rolling endo (nose wheelie) i for one cannot do it very long - about 1/2 a meter
  • How do you use you back brake when pulling a wheelie?
    When I use one or two finger it doen't pull hard enough,
    and when I use more fingers I find it too hard to grip and end up loosing control. :(

Thanks for any help.