Polka Dot and "Spud" Riley Gran Fondos

shy tot
shy tot Posts: 111
Anyone who has ridden, entered, or is going to enter the Polka Dot Challenge or the "Spud" Riley Gran Fondos may wish to see this message from George "Spud" Riley's wife Marcele, which tells of the good work that your entry fees make possible .

What Happens to the Money, is a question frequently asked when the money raised for the "Adult Leukaemia Unit" at the Christie hospital is mentioned.
I first became aware of this Unit when Spud was taken into the Christie hospital in July 2001.The Unit has its own charity. Money is raised to give extra help to make life a little easier for the patients and their families.
Spud benefited from this fund in the following ways:-He was given a new trainer bike to use in his room. He used this frequently each day. The exercise helped him tremendously when he was having chemotherapy. Many was the time he rang me to tell me he had been on the bike for an hour or so imagining he was out on the open road. He received aromatherapy treatments regularly.
An artist tried to encourage him to paint pictures (this was not very successful as painting pictures was not Spuds forte.) A craft teacher brought him models and worked with him to complete them. This proved to be very well received and models of ships and planes were completed. I have and treasure these models.
Televisions and telephones were supplied free to all patients, this can be very expensive when in hospital, but do help to pass away the hours when in isolation.
Many families are helped with travel expenses so they can visit more often.
It is wonderful to know the current patients are being helped in similar ways. Helped with the money being raised in the "Polka Dot” and “Spud Riley" rides.

Comments

• andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    A very positive story Peter.

And apart from the good it does, the Polka Dot is a bloody good ride, did it last year and it's well organised, good feedstations, friendly volunteers who give the impression they're enjoying doing it, good atmosphere - I'd really recommend it.

Can't make the date this year, but I'm going to do the Spud and I'm sure it'll be the same standard.

Well done all the team.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I Agree, I absolutely loved this sportif, its got tons of famous milk race climbs and is far tougher than I first imagined...Right up the smashing Cat & Fiddle after 6 miles was a brilliant opener...Snake Pass was a bit of a toughy although I feel its the most consistently graded hill Ive ever did in the UK,The descents of these 2 were great,.Winnats was a real brute of a climb and for me was the highlight of the ride. Ive been up loadsa steep nasty ones but this one was tougher than i thought it would be..but Funny enough I suffered most on Axe Edge...I then pepped up for Gun Hill which was also tougher than I thought....the Peak District is lovely and after I finished I felt so satisfied.

The Feeds were spot on and the wee card you get stamped is a great wee keepsake of the event.

I was hoping to do the Spud Riley this year but im away to the Dolomites then, next year!

Anyone wanting a down to earth very reasonably priced real tough challenge should enter this one...the terrain has so much heritage with UK Pro racing...