Sudden Loss Of Speed - Am I Ill?

amc
amc Posts: 315
Doing a regular ride on my turbo (imagic) yesterday i was 30 seconds slower on a 9 minute course.
Afterwards I was very nearly sick, had loads of phlem and then a wrasping cough for an hour when breathing deeply. I can still feel a tightening in chest now (day later) when I breathe in very deeply.
On the ride itself i was trying as hard as possible but my heart rate max wasn't as high as it had been.
I haven't been doing much speed work since before Xmas but i certainly didn't eat all the pies and have been commuting to work so fitness shouldn't be too bad.
I'm at a loss to explain this quite big dip in speed/form etc. I don't feel ill but could be a bit run down as i have a few mouth ulcers (perhaps new born twins taking their toll).
I'm not going to stress avout but just wondering what's up?
amc

Comments

• PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    the comment 'very nearly sick, had loads of phlem and then a wrasping cough for an hour when breathing deeply. I can still feel a tightening in chest now (day later) when I breathe in very deeply' hardly indicates you are in tip top shape, sounds like a chest infection to me, i'd be careful if i were you.
  • lateralus
    lateralus Posts: 309
    Mouth ulcers and newborn twins? take a couple of days off mate. Your body is trying to tell you something.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    You talked about your "regular" ride. A 9 minute ride is what you do daily? At max.
    heartrate? Sounds like a very strange training schedule to me. Maybe a heart problem.

Dennis Noward
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Twins? Take a day or maybe week off. Your body is bellowing not just talking to you!
    Unexplained drop in performance is either measurement problems (not likely your clock just adds 30 seconds or illness on teh way in.
    Love your babies, look after yourself. :)
  • Mike Willcox
    Mike Willcox Posts: 1,770
    amc wrote:
    Doing a regular ride on my turbo (imagic) yesterday i was 30 seconds slower on a 9 minute course.
    Afterwards I was very nearly sick, had loads of phlem and then a wrasping cough for an hour when breathing deeply. I can still feel a tightening in chest now (day later) when I breathe in very deeply.
    On the ride itself i was trying as hard as possible but my heart rate max wasn't as high as it had been.
    I haven't been doing much speed work since before Xmas but i certainly didn't eat all the pies and have been commuting to work so fitness shouldn't be too bad.
    I'm at a loss to explain this quite big dip in speed/form etc. I don't feel ill but could be a bit run down as i have a few mouth ulcers (perhaps new born twins taking their toll).
    I'm not going to stress avout but just wondering what's up?

My first thought when reading this was "not so bad how's yourself". Blimey didn't you feel something not quite right while you were in the throes of the ride and if you did then why did you continue?

You say it is a regular ride but how regular is it? It is at least 3 weeks since Christmas and as you say you've done no speed work since. It makes sense to build up some fitness before going flat out for short intervals. Still all this must seem obvious now.

I hope you're feeling better. Cheers Mike
  • amc
    amc Posts: 315
    For no doubt luddite reasons i never spotted your various replies.

Yes, i guess i was run down. I took the enforced commute easy last week and did my first proper outdoor ride this Sunday am and today squeezed a quick blast on the turbo (i'm in the i-magic league and i try to get one turbo 'race' in a fortnight, which is what i meant by regular). This time the legs hurt but the chest was fine...roll on this weekend reliability ride.
    amc