hope bb

Will Snow
Will Snow Posts: 1,154
edited January 2008 in MTB general
hey hey kids, am sure weve all seen the new hope bottom bracket:

24172.jpg

anyhoo i was quite looking forward to this (sad i know) when someone on another forum (again, sorry) said something about he doesnt think itll last to long (compared to shimano):
Its just shimano BB's use a nylon spacer which compensates for bearing wear, meaning the bearings last a lot longer than other make bb. hope are basically marketing their bb on the fact that you can buy it in a snazzy colour.

agree? disagree? think i should kicked off the forum for going on another forum? let the discussion commence!!!
i ride a hardtail

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sorry they are talking crap as the nylon washers do nothing. other than be a spacer.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    But look at the shiny colours!!!!

I'm sorry what was the question? lol

I have to admit, I'm may be getting Hope hubs on my new bike primarily because they come in gold, and only secondly because they're good...
  • dhxcme
    dhxcme Posts: 1,467
    end of the day it looks good and the name is proven. have at it i say.
  • Will Snow
    yeh thats what i thught. you really reckon he mean thm little plastic spacers??? i mean, all they do is... space.
    i ride a hardtail
  • nicklouse
    Will Snow wrote:
    yeh thats what i thught. you really reckon he mean thm little plastic spacers??? i mean, all they do is... space.

ask him what he is talking about.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    This BB is not proven though. Make sure the BB shell is faced.
  • Will Snow
    haha cant sleep either??? its a bit strange, i havent seen one of these on test... anywhere. infact, ive not seen one mentioned in a mag at all... part from an advert... you would have thought hope would have wanted to get it out there... hmm.
    i ride a hardtail
  • supersonic
    Hehe, just got in after a few bevvies! I'll be honest, I dont like Hope, and never had. Overpriced for what you get. Maybe stuck in my own way, but the Pro2 hub has done nothing to alleviate my views. BULB hubs are good tough!
  • Will Snow
    ha good man!!! im tother way round, i just think there stuff looks trick, and is soooo easy to service (when you can bleed the brakes with what is a car brake bleeding kit, ha)... plus you can get it in red!!!
    i ride a hardtail
  • supersonic
    Red is good, I cant say otherwise given the pedals on my zaskar! They are easy to bleed, but so are others when you know how - top down, or syringe up. I'm a Shimano man at heart, cup and cone hubs and al that!
  • Will Snow
    i dont know, alot of the stuff they do just kinda seems to be the way i would do it, if you know what mean, its got the kinda built in a shed feel, but high quality??? if you know what i mean... :lol: god bless shimano hubs, had a set of deore for, ooh year an a half??? had to strip and service the front one, thats it. (cant afford hope uns!!!)
    i ride a hardtail
  • supersonic
    I wouldnt have Hope hubs in Salford anyway hehe ;-)
  • Will Snow
    haha, very true!!! theres a trick to cycling in salford... not stopping :D
    i ride a hardtail
  • nicklouse
    Will Snow wrote:
    ha good man!!! im tother way round, i just think there stuff looks trick, and is soooo easy to service (when you can bleed the brakes with what is a car brake bleeding kit, ha)... plus you can get it in red!!!
    seen this.

pbpic1682410.jpg
  • Will Snow
    yes!!! youve used that picture sooooo many times!!! sorry, but sometimes even the best kit breaks. i know you were doing xc on it, but who knows what stresses it was put under before that??? am sure there plenty of people who have killed hopes, chris kings, hell ive seen bmx wheels explode. i swear ive even seen a snapped 888. not put me off at all, sorry.
    i ride a hardtail
  • nicklouse
    no I was not using it, it is not my picture, and i have only posted it once before.

Compare a Pro 2 to a bulb and you will see why it has not surprised me.
  • Will Snow
    sorry, thought it was your pic...

marc beaumont, first at vigo this year. you dont get alot more abuse than at a world cup??? and he runs on pro II's
    i ride a hardtail
  • nicklouse
    And, means nothing. i can mention many products that have done world champ courses and not failed while people say they are crap.

Dont get me wrong all i am saying is be aware.
  • Will Snow
    isnt the point of the races for manufacturers to show that their kit is the best???
    i ride a hardtail
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Will have you gonr to sleep at all lol. Hope xc hubs are where it is at, the sound Mmmmm
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    Sorry to come late :wink: , but what spacer on a Shimao BB is he talking about?
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Its just shimano BB's use a nylon spacer which compensates for bearing wear, meaning the bearings last a lot longer than other make bb. hope are basically marketing their bb on the fact that you can buy it in a snazzy colour.

What utter pap. Obviously this berk needs a good beating with his own handlebars. Presumably Hope hub bearings don't last either???

Hope use custom Schaeffler (SKF) bearings in all their products. Any engineer will tell you that SKF are the vicar's knickers.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dave_s
    dave_s Posts: 4,362
    Never had any probs with any Hope hubs, XC, Bulb or Pro II.

I do XC/AM riding and would tend to think that whoever cracked that Hope Pro II hub didn't do it rolling off a kerb.

Hope kit is generally very good and all kit will fail eventually if you rag it enough.

Will, know what you mean about the trick is not to stop, I've improved my fitness drastically on my route home from Mcr centre to Oldham avoiding the ninjas in black hooded tops.
    Dave S
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'd imagine that a crack like that would more likely be caused by dodgy bearings or something internal, usually hub fail at the flange if i'm not mistaken, that looks like an altogether different beast...
  • Will Snow
    excatly, certainly wasnt anything to do with maintainance, which was the point i was making... and god bless salford. no buggar else will :D
    i ride a hardtail
  • Will Snow
    oh yeh, this is what tother guy said:
    From what i've read i think it is either the black bit on the bb cup which makes contactwith the crank arm or is somewhere within the BB - where ever it is it help to slow bearing wear.

still a bit unclear to me, tbh. can u work it out???
    i ride a hardtail
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    the black sealing sleeve on the face of the bearing that looks to the cranks?
  • supersonic
    Re racers using parts and being sponsored: its good to have a pro mechanic as backup, and a company who will replace the parts after every race! This is diferent to us who want the same part tpo last and last.
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    Will Snow wrote:
    oh yeh, this is what tother guy said:
    From what i've read i think it is either the black bit on the bb cup which makes contactwith the crank arm or is somewhere within the BB - where ever it is it help to slow bearing wear.

still a bit unclear to me, tbh. can u work it out???

Yeah I can work it out - he's a numpty.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."