My God . . . .

The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited January 2008 in The Crudcatcher
This place is DEAD - even more so than usual - it hasn't picked up since the new year...

C'mon peeps - let's get active! :lol:

Comments

• Tis dead! God I wish I was out riding now... Only just stopped raining too... imagine the fun in the mud!
  • GT Destroyer
    GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
    I thought it was a bit busier than usual? Am I mistaken, then again I haven't visited since yesterday - I read loads new stuff in here.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The actual other bits of the forum seem much busier - more active members I think.

What 300 quid bike should I buy? My disc brakes are squeaking?
  • he he - you love it..... :lol:

Seems a lot of people are buying new bikes around that price bracket - which is cool!

But sometimes it's like answering "How long is a piece of string...?"

And you never seem to get any decent info up front ie purpose.......
  • supersonic
    I havent got much better things to do with my time at the minute lol - if I can get more newbies into good bikes, I'll happily oblige!

Its the 400 quid bracket that is impressing me most - light alloy frame, damped adjustable forks, twin piston hydros, full shimao 8spd drivetrain, selaed bearings - feck me! You couldnt get a fork that good for 400 quid 10 years ago, never mind a whole bike!
  • Yes you can defo get more bang for you buck now if you know what you are looking for. If I was just getting into it again I would go for an 06 or 07 in the sales to be honest....

But then you get "what websites" - I ALWAYS Google before asking as when I was doing research on the Attack Trail I googled it and loads of stores are still selling them... it's not rocket science.. :lol:

But you're right - definitely seems to be a lot out there at the moment with pretty decent kit on if for next-to-nout!
  • To be honest, I think it's a bit quiet in here compared to the rest of the site 'cos of all the comments that are placed.

If you've just started posting at a forum and all you read are comments along the lines of:
      It's crap here All these threads are crap It used to be so much better It's not as good as it used to be Oh the old sandbox was the greatest place on earth

Well, it kinda puts you off posting I think. There is a general feeling now and then that if you haven't been around for quite a while, or weren't involved in the previous sandbox, then your comments are not welcome.

This is the only area of the mountain bike forum I've found that hasn't felt immediately welcoming when you first look at it. I do know now that it's a very friendly place, and yes, there is the odd in-joke, but it's never levelled at outsiders until we know they can take it.

So as far as I see it, there's only one thing to do:

Ladies and Gentlemen, if you were part of the original Sandbox, (wherever and whenever that mythical land existed) I'm very sorry for your loss. But the time has come to move on and let it rest in peace. Seriously, I know it would want you to move on, live your life and have fun with this Sandbox whilst you're still young.

Early on, every time I looked into the Sandbox and found a thread stating that there was nothing worthwhile to read, I just left again. Lets find some new stuff to keep it ticking over.

Your New Years resolution: Instead of leaving the Sandbox quiet, or wondering why no one else has posted anything good, find something! There's a whole world out there, and a whole internet in here! There's always something to chat about.

Apologies about all this from me being fairly new to the site, but it can be a slightly intimidating atmosphere in here from time to time. Not wanting to offend anyone, just suggesting a way forward!
    Proved by testing to be faster than a badger.
    The world's ultimate marmite bike
  • hear hear! :wink:

Ladies and gents - roll-up roll-up
  • Oh, and in reply to Fred Drift,

Having bought a bike for £440 in 1999, I'm shocked by how much I can upgrade by buying a new bike for the same price. It's astounding how the prices have dropped. I could even get a second bike...

Cheesey this is your fault. With a new bike every week or two you make it seem very normal to get another. Maybe I'll get a singlespeed 29er..... :D
  • supersonic
    This is why a couple of breakaway forums were started, as many predicted the downfall of this forum. But it simply hasnt happened - ok a few teething problems, but lots of new members, very friendly, a new community forming ,great info. Some did seem to only visit for the sandbox - but there is more to a forum than that!

I think that maybe the WMB arms, OT, and sandbox could be perhaps merged into one. I never really particpated in the original sandbox.
  • supersonic wrote:
    I think that maybe the WMB arms, OT, and sandbox could be perhaps merged into one. I never really particpated in the original sandbox.

Makes sense to me. I'm not really sure why there are 3 off topic forums. One would be plenty and would stay busy. Who's in charge around here?
  • Cheesey this is your fault. With a new bike every week or two you make it seem very normal to get another. Maybe I'll get a singlespeed 29er..... :D

Why not indeed?

I won't be buying anymore bikes for quite some time now - have all my disciplines covered now! I like the sound of a nice singlespeed 29er - go for it
  • supersonic wrote:

Makes sense to me. I'm not really sure why there are 3 off topic forums. One would be plenty and would stay busy. Who's in charge around here?

THIRDED!! :D
  • The old sandbox was funny as hell and some outrageous posts - but very clique (sp?)

I only joined in towards the demise of MBUK and like SS never really posted there although I lurked around there a fair bit.

I could see why people would be less than willing to have themselves flamed by posting something in there.....
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Ooooooooooooooooo, a bandwagon, me too
  • Ooooooooooooooooo, a bandwagon, me too

LMAO :lol:
  • I guess that's it. There's no real flaming here, just jesting at people you've started to get to know through the forum. But from the outside it's hard to tell.

I'm a member of a couple of other forums, and one of the off-topic areas there can be quite hard work at times, and very clique-y (I'll go with your spelling Cheesey! :wink: ) If you are new to forums it can all look a bit daunting.

I've just tried to contact the mods to ask why there are 3 off topic areas, but the link doesn't seem to work.

Amalgamating the three would give you a busier environment where as a newbie you could make posts without sticking out like a sore thumb!
  • supersonic
    Apparently there is lots of red tape when ideas are put forward - has to be run by a team, who run it by some others etc... or so they say. I put forward a request a while back to set up a 'Bike radar' arms, rather than a WMB arms and sanbox/ot for the rwasons you outlined. I am sure the office and site sections could be merged into one too.
  • Right, Cheesey, you and ride_whenever need a burning torch each, Sonic and I will go for the random pitchfork-type-thing, and we'll march on the headquarters.

What do we want? One off-topic forum!
    When do we want it? Now! :D
  • ride_whenever
    Hang on, if anyone here gets a pitchfork it should be me... The pointy bits make me happy on the inside!
  • supersonic
    I'll use the RST gila I am selling as a club, enough weight in that to bring down an elephant.
  • Hang on, if anyone here gets a pitchfork it should be me... The pointy bits make me happy on the inside!

And for exactlly that reason you are now going to be carrying a soft teddybear with no swallowable parts! We're not letting you near anything sharp!
  • ride_whenever
    Funnily enough that's exactly what my lab supervisor has said.
  • GT Destroyer
    GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
    I agree with the general gist of this discussion. I loved reading the post about the old sandbox, and just gettin gon with it and not whining like bitches about it.

This is what we have now, its quiet but like I've always said it'll pick up as more and more people stumble on it.

I'm with the majority, whoever that is!
  • supersonic wrote:
    I'll use the RST gila I am selling as a club, enough weight in that to bring down an elephant.

That made me spit my carlsberg all over my keyboard!

Not that I drink sissy beer or anything... :oops:
  • Bikedevil
    Bikedevil Posts: 1,156
    supersonic wrote:
    Apparently there is lots of red tape when ideas are put forward - has to be run by a team, who run it by some others etc... or so they say. I put forward a request a while back to set up a 'Bike radar' arms, rather than a WMB arms and sanbox/ot for the rwasons you outlined. I am sure the office and site sections could be merged into one too.

quite simply one forum would third the "off topic" advertising space thus reducing profits and no business (future publishings in this case) will willingly reduce revenue just so newbies feel better
    Brought to you by:
    Trix©orp Industries

For everything & anything pointless
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Maybe they can put more ads down the side to get extra revenue, then it's in everybodys interest get more people posting. More posts = longer threads = more adds.

Don't actually look at the ads personal (probably shouldn't admit to that or I may have to reincarnate as stumpusjonus or something).

Definitely up for combining the forums, I just started lurking on the old MBUK forum just before it got whacked, a lot of people new to the forum may not even know what WMB or MBUK actually stand for :shock:

Got to say I for prefer this place, slight more mature (or smelly) clientele than other places :!:
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Bikedevil
    Bikedevil Posts: 1,156
    Its elementary anyway because Firefox has a woderful plugin called Ad-Blocker, sites also load quicker due to not having to download half a servers worth of crap...sorry I mean revenue generating adverts for things I'd never actually want
    Brought to you by:
    Trix©orp Industries

For everything & anything pointless
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    this definately is a decent place to be, i also felt intimidated by the old sandbox and to be fair, i didnt get it.

i have had a little dabble in the break away version and to be honest, it is in habited by people who for the most part i wouldnt speak to in real life, so have chosen not to in cyberland.

i hope our little sandbox doesnt start filling up with hippie or teenage crap
  • supersonic
    I think the forum is doing great - even better than I thought, and I was one of the more optimistic!