It never occured to me

Bikedevil
Bikedevil Posts: 1,156
edited January 2008 in The Crudcatcher
to look in the small wooded area 500yards from my house for some riding, there's some nice uber short lines but a fair few of them with bermy goodness and a splash of jumpy gravy! Needless to say that my 10 minute break from revising for end of semester exams must be one of the muddiest possible! 8) :lol:
Brought to you by:
Trix©orp Industries

For everything & anything pointless

Comments

• Local wooded areas are often hidden gems - I have Bostall Woods near me and it has some great natural technical sections and a jump areas and the core of it is great for downhilling - there are no man made paths (apart from a bridge to cross the stream - which I jumped a couple of weeks ago which ended with a painful comedy fall :lol: )

I use it as my own playground but it stops me from venturing further away!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'm lucky - out my door, turn right onto the lane, leasds straight to a wood. After that wood is Greno Wood, same ace trails in there, then Wharncliffe Woods - All within 3km!
  • Bikedevil
    being a south Sheffield lad (without a car) originally before emigrating to the sunny shores of Swansea I only rode Wharncliffe twice!! I did become very aquainted with the Hope Valley though.....and grindleford cafe. i miss that,

I have managed to find some hidden/plain daft stuff just down the road from me aswell but..well.. thats just too far to go :)
    Brought to you by:
    Trix©orp Industries

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Wharncliffe is just ace, so much variation of riding. The UK MTB scene owes a lot to it, as many riders started there and put MTBing on the map, ie Peaty, Longden, Titley etc. Hope Valley lovely too!
  • GT Destroyer
    GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
    Bikedevil wrote:
    to look in the small wooded area 500yards from my house for some riding, there's some nice uber short lines but a fair few of them with bermy goodness and a splash of jumpy gravy! Needless to say that my 10 minute break from revising for end of semester exams must be one of the muddiest possible! 8) :lol:

Do people in this country say semester? Is it the "norm" now. I don't actually have a clue when semester is.
  • Bikedevil
    semester is basically the length of the teaching period for the current subjects (at my uni anyway) so we have terms but are taught in semesters. so this semester is two terms.

Unless your southern and trying to get someone's attention "se-mester!" = "i say, mister"
    Brought to you by:
    Trix©orp Industries

• Unless your southern and trying to get someone's attention "se-mester!" = "i say, mister"[/quote]

? :lol:

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1695431/
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    No woods where I live, above the tree line, tis only 5 mins to the moors though.

Only problem with living at the top of the hill is that it's always uphill on the way back, having said that I have to go uphill whichever direction I go in when I leave as well.

MC Esher has a lot to answer for. :x
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i live in north essex and there is nothing too exciting to ride on my door step, plus, i think its all actually footpaths so not actually legal for me to ride on. i really want a posting back to ripon in north yorkshire, now im sure theres some good riding up there 8)
  • out of my drive, couple of pedal strokes and on my left is the short (about a minute long) path that takes me straight to the jumps, 4x and d/h bit in Delamere forest... :D:D

So i can be in the woods in about a minute....... bloody muddy at the moment though :evil:
    thinking happy thoughts....before the pixies steal them..

www.homersbikes.co.uk
  • out of my drive, couple of pedal strokes and on my left is the short (about a minute long) path that takes me straight to the jumps, 4x and d/h bit in Delamere forest... :D:D

So i can be in the woods in about a minute....... bloody muddy at the moment though :evil:

Nice one :wink:
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    2 minutes one way and I have the Pentland Hills (perfect for xc) 2 minutes the other way I have our local woods with a nice wee NS playground (perfect for fr)!
  • Nice one :wink:[/quote]

thank you..... :D even better in a couple of weeks when i pick up my new norco,,,
    thinking happy thoughts....before the pixies steal them..

www.homersbikes.co.uk
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Got a fair few local little woods near me, about 20min ride is Sherwood forest, so go there mainly! if i'm after a local ride anyways.
    Then when in Sheffield it is hop on the train, then off at Edale for a ride, least 2 times a week, love it there!