North London rides (not Epping)

xcracer
xcracer Posts: 298
edited March 2008 in Routes
Given the rain over the last two days, I would guess that most of the singletrack in Epping will be boardering on unrideable this weekend. So...where next? Is there anywhere else around North London that offers anything a little more 'all-weather'?

I don't have a car but I'm happy to throw my bike on a train for a short hop.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• rikk
    rikk Posts: 734
    Hainault forest isn't anywhere near as muddy as Epping so worth a look, and further out there's Thorndon which is superb, nice and hilly :)

Let me know if you want showing around either or gps routes, I think I have them for both.
  • blurred
    blurred Posts: 123
    Hey there.
    I'd be interested in GPS routes of Hainault & Thorndon.
    Where exactly IS Thorndon anyway?

Cheers!
  • rikk
    rikk Posts: 734
    Look for Brentwood, then Thorndon country park is SE of that a short distance.
    I'm away for a few days but will sort out the routes soon as i can.
  • Broxbourne woods, via the Liverpool street line....Broxbourne station, then head for the hills! Miles of fun!

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1695431/
  • xcracer
    gotta_hurt wrote:
    Broxbourne woods, via the Liverpool street line....Broxbourne station, then head for the hills! Miles of fun!

Yep, only 20 mins from Seven Sisters on the rattler. Sounds perfect. I'll check it out.
  • blurred
    blurred Posts: 123
    Cheers Rikk
    I'll look forward to receiving them.
  • So xcracer...did you try Broxbourne woods? Better than Epping and less muddy! :P

• xcracer
    Not managed to get up there yet. My flatmates birthday party on Saturday night ended my chances of a Sunday ride this week! Will def get up there this Sunday. Can't wait!
  • Bazza
    Bazza Posts: 3,336
    blurred wrote:
    Hey there.
    I'd be interested in GPS routes of Hainault & Thorndon.
    Where exactly IS Thorndon anyway?

Cheers!

Hi mate, Thorndon is on the A128 jus off the A127, Halfway House I beleive the junction is called?

Use google maps to find it.....
    RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!

Carrera Fury 06

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wa_wa_weewa/ - New pics added...
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    I'm out around Broxbourne Woods most weekends, if anyone wants a guided tour.

There's enough territory to do anything from two to five hours without too much repetition.

It's not usually too muddy, although the last few weeks have been the worst I've known it for a good while.
  • xcracer
    Chaka Ping wrote:
    I'm out around Broxbourne Woods most weekends, if anyone wants a guided tour.

There's enough territory to do anything from two to five hours without too much repetition.

It's not usually too muddy, although the last few weeks have been the worst I've known it for a good while.

Yep, was up there a couple weekends ago. There did seem to be quite a few big puddles and slush up towards the top of the woods - but strangely better further downhill :? I had a close call with some barbed wire and managed to nearly knock myself out on a low branch but still had a good time!

I will probably head back in about three weeks time. I did get a bit confused about where you could ride with all the nature reserves and stuff though - so maybe I could benefit from some guiding. Particularly as the OS map seemed to bare no resemblance to reality!
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    Drop me a PM when you're planning on going back and I'll take you on my regular circuit if you like.

There's a certain amount of ambiguity on where's legal for riding, but so few people use the woods that nobody seems to get upset if you're in small groups and behave sensibly.
  • xcracer
    Thanks! Will do.
  • I used to live on top of Hainault forest, great in all weather on the fire roads, bit dodgy if its been raining for a while on the other paths, still good and muddy though. Ask the rangers for the orienteering map... Slight cost but it'll run you all over the place if done in order. :shock: To make it harder still, try sticking to the paths.. :wink:
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    Went upto Epping Forest last weekend and boy better of with a
    Potter's wheel all the hills had little streams coming down them
    and branches falling mainly near the Kings Oak pu

And where the horses that was out have been riding just left
    deep muddy un-ridable puddles.

Bloddy chain snapped on a two week old bike/ icing on a the cake that was.

Anyone out at Hainult this Saturday or Sunday?

Or the Brentwood Forest let us know

Cheers