Boardman or Fisher

ascaplehorn
ascaplehorn Posts: 3
edited January 2008 in Commuting chat
I am looking for a bike to ride to work and also for rides with the family at the weekend for a bit of fitness.
Not looking to spend thousands but want a reasonable bike,

I am considering a hybrid for both road and for dirt tracks

Have been suggested either the gary fisher utopia or the boardman hybrid. Both of which are around the £500 mark.

Has anyone experience of either of these bikes?

Any advise apreciated.

Comments

• ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...sorry, no experience of these two, but your choice of hybrid is good for work and tracks. Have a look at Scott and Trek, they both have some good hybrids as well.

Welcome to the forum by the way...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    A cyclocross bike is even better than a hybrid - takes the best things from road and MTB rather than hybrid with the worst from each.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • mailmannz
    mailmannz Posts: 173
    I have the Boardman Hybrid Pro and absolutely love it!

Carbon front forks, disk breaks, light as bugger and does the job for getting me to work and back every day!

No experience of the other bike you mention, but I do like my Boardman!

Regards

Mailman
  • mailmannz
    mailmannz Posts: 173
    edited February 2008
    opps, double post!
  • Thanks for the replys everyone, will pop down to the local halfords and investigate the boardmans.
    Most of the time I will be on the road so thought that a hybrid would be better than a cyclo cross which looks to me like it is mainly off road.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Thanks for the replys everyone, will pop down to the local halfords and investigate the boardmans.
    Most of the time I will be on the road so thought that a hybrid would be better than a cyclo cross which looks to me like it is mainly off road.

A cyclocross is better on road than a hybrid because of the drops. Change the tyres of a Cyclo-X and you've effectively got a road bike with discs or cantis.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • im also getting the boardman pro this week , ordered it last thursday using the halfords C2W scheme through my company . ive heard alot of good things about it especially for commuting.
  • I have a Kinesis Cross bike (my christmas present). Agree with redddraggon they make excellent commuter bikes. Much nippier than hybrids. You can also race cross when fitter!!!

Although i use an old bike for winter commute..

Take you time and have a good look first.