One or Two Brakes?

meagain
meagain Posts: 2,331
edited January 2008 in Road general
There's an "evironmental" outfit selling old stuff, mainly s/s &/or fixed, on th'bay. One advertised with back pedal rear brake and no front. When I questioned this (just out of interest), seller's reply was:

"Hiya, thanks for the comment! it's a second hand bike and so perfectly legal, two independent brakes are required for new bikes! And or motorbikes. Thanks B4A"

Surely NOT strictly true?

Legal to SELL it I guess. Not legal to ride it?
d.j.
"Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."

Comments

• tatanab
    tatanab Posts: 1,283
    I think it comes down to wheel size, which is how BMX get away with too few brakes.

However, if you have a backpedalling brake that implies to me a large wheeled machine and so a front brake is needed to be able to ride it on the road.

I guess you can sell almost anything, legal or not, it is up to the buyer to know and apply the law. e.g flashing rear lights until the law was changed. However, selling a bike that could not legally be ridden might come under "not fit for purpose" and so the seller could be in trouble.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Regardless of the 'legality' of the bike, having a back brake only will make it difficult to handle - about 70% of braking effort is usually distributed through the front wheel - so unless you fancy going sideways, my preference would be for a front brake only if only fitting one. BTW - regardless of whether a bike is second-hand, as the seller is a bike shop he has an obligation to ensure that it is safe and roadworthy IMO a rear drum brake only would not be safe.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..