Finger pain

Pkomor
Pkomor Posts: 380
edited January 2008 in Health, fitness & training
I know that this has been discussed here before, but i'm not sure if it is the same problem.

After about 3/4 of an hour of cycling (dirt,park,trails, light downhill) I get a pain in the little and ring fingers of both hands (but worse in the ring fingers!) The pain is amplified by bumps and rocks, but it disappears after a few minutes rest, only to reappear after a few minutes of riding.
Both me and my brother and my friend all suffer occasionally and I was wondering if it was a common problem and what we should do about it!
cheers, Pete.

Comments

• Pkomor
    Pkomor Posts: 380
    could be, sounds about right!
    I was wearing gloves, but they have no padding in that area, so they wont have been providing any protection at all!

does anyone know how effective these gloves are?
  • hastings
    hastings Posts: 206
    i wear the spesc gloves to stop the pain but i still get the problems and my ring fingers hurt (mainly my left one) for maybe a day or two after riding :cry:
  • Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    What CraigS said.

If you are still getting the pain it could be your position on the bars. Try rotating the shifters and levers a little to alter the position of your hands. Remember, a little change at a time. If that fails try adding or removing a spacer from your headstack.....
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath
  • I used to get real pain in a lot of my fingers, especially on descents where I was covering the brakes. I used one of these and it definitely helped, no more pain
    istockphoto_3125460_forearm_exercising.jpg
  • ive never had any pain with my hands, buy some decent gloves at least 30 quid + with padding ul be fine
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Or you could try bars with different sweep back, try and borrow a friends for an afternoon, might just put your wrist in a better angle. On one mary bars are a radical example...
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    On one mary bars are radically awesome
    i corrected it for you

I never usually get it but randomly i was at the skatepark on my bmx and got it the other day. hadn't ridden bmx or mtb for a few weeks so that could be it. don't know why i got it then but not normally.