Bike shoes for big feet.. .. .. .. ..?

Cheshley
Cheshley Posts: 1,448
edited January 2008 in MTB beginners
Hello,

Am I the only person here who is completely brassed off with shoe manufacturers in general but particularly with the manufacturers of biking-specific shoes.....?

I am kinda new to this lark but I have treated myself to a new off road bike (2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp) and also a flat bar road bike (2008 Scott Speedster S30). I have decided that SPD pedals and shoes are the way to go for the road bike and have received some nice shiny Shimano pedals as a freebie with my subscription to What Mountain Bike magazine.

My problem has been in getting SPD compatible shoes to fit my big feet. Those I have tried in my usual size of 48 have all been too small and I have been told that bike shoes in general are very small fitting, but all of the manufacurers I have tried stop at a size 48. I would also like some shoes for flat pedals for off-road riding and I am having the same problem.

Does anyone else have this problem or does anyone else have any suggestions as to where I am going to find SPD and Flat shoes in sizes 49 or maybe even size 50?

Any help would be much appreciated. :cry:
1998 Marin Hawk Hill
2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.

Comments

• Specialized go to 49, Shimano up to 50. Don't know if an LBS would be willing to order any in "just in case" they fitted, so mail order might be your best bet as you would probably have more luck returning them.
    eg.
    http://www.ultimatepursuits.co.uk/products/details.aspx?ref=14074&pRef=78799&vertical=1&v=VARBM075

Edit: They go to those sizes in some shoes, not all. Your LBS will have a dealer catalogue which will tell them what sizes they are available in
  • GT Destroyer
    GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
    Euro 49 is size 14 UK right? Well I too am size 14 UK and never thought in a million years that they'd make bike shoes up to that size, We are talking about SPD's here aren't we, that you clip in?
  • redjedi
    redjedi Posts: 44
    I am having a similar problem myself.

Most of the shops I have been to only have a small selection of shoes and very rarely in my size (uk 12 eu 48 ).

I have heard that Shimano shoes are small, and you need to go a size up, making it even more difficult to find.

Is this the same with all brands or just Shimano?

I might try a few off the Wiggle website as they have a good returns policy, but I really wanted to try them on in a shop before I purchase.

Does anyone know of any shops in London that have a good selection?
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    My trainers are usually a 48.5 - UK size 13. I've got a pair of Specialized mountain comp shoes in a 48 and they fit perfectly.
  • I'm size 12(ish) and 48 Specialized fit fine but are a bit too narrow for my taste, but Shimano 48 are far too small!! Now wear size 13 Merrells!!
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    How about these - reduced from £70 to £30 (because of their 13.5 size!)?

http://www.bournesports.com/Public/Adid ... /10289.htm
  • Cheshley
    GHill wrote:
    My trainers are usually a 48.5 - UK size 13. I've got a pair of Specialized mountain comp shoes in a 48 and they fit perfectly.

depending upon manufacturer, I wear anything from an 11.5 to a 13. I have tried on a few size 48 Specialized shoes and none have been anywhere near big enough.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • Cheshley
    Euro 49 is size 14 UK right? Well I too am size 14 UK and never thought in a million years that they'd make bike shoes up to that size, We are talking about SPD's here aren't we, that you clip in?

Euro 49 is about a UK14 UK size according to http://www.barringtonsports.com/guides/ ... _Guide.htm
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• Cheshley
    Woodywmb wrote:
    How about these - reduced from £70 to £30 (because of their 13.5 size!)?

http://www.bournesports.com/Public/Adid ... /10289.htm

SOLD to the tall bloke with the big feet. Thanks for that :D
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• Cheshley
    Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to post a reply.

I stumbled into a bike shop while I was out and about this week just to have a look and found myself leaving with a nice pair of Lake shoes in a size 50 and they fit a treat. Less than half price too, which is always nice, and I have also ordered the Adidas shoes (details on the Bourne Sports website, link posted above) so I now have options which will probably go along the lines of SPD-R and the Adidas shoes on the road bike, SPD and the Lakes on my XC Hardtail and flat pedals on the full sus.

I still want some shoes to wear with flat pedals and I like the idea posted above about Merrells so I will be having a look around for something suitable.

Again, thanks guys.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• pete236
    pete236 Posts: 204
    Just this afternoon bought some Merrel Chameleon 'Approach shoes'. Waterproof, breathable, grippy Vibram sole with good stiffness. Very comfortable, quite narrow for a size 11 without sacrificing comfort or fit! Nice and light too! Away with the manky old trainers at last!
    Just a pity they weren't in the sales, a bit dear at £85 but pays yer money and takes yer pick!

One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead men got up to fight. Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other.
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    I've noticed this too, I take a size 10 trainer in every make I've ever come across and I always took that as a Euro 44, however when trying bike shoes on I noticed that Shimano have a 44 as a UK 9.7 and a 45 as a 10.5.

Kinda funny until I looked at my Nike 6.0 skate shoes that were bought as a size 10 and are infact a Eoru 45, how bizzare
  • xcracer
    xcracer Posts: 298
    redjedi wrote:
    I am having a similar problem myself.

Most of the shops I have been to only have a small selection of shoes and very rarely in my size (uk 12 eu 48 ).

I have heard that Shimano shoes are small, and you need to go a size up, making it even more difficult to find.

Is this the same with all brands or just Shimano?

I might try a few off the Wiggle website as they have a good returns policy, but I really wanted to try them on in a shop before I purchase.

Does anyone know of any shops in London that have a good selection?

Try On Yer Bike over at London Bridge - it's huge! Decathlon at Canada Water doesn't have much range of styles but I think they do large sizes.
  • Cheshley
    I've just been looking at a brochure from Leisure Lakes Bikes (dot com) and they are showing a couple of styles that go up to a 49 or 50 and a Shimano Dominator 5 that goes to a size 52!!!!!

It is about the most expensive shoe in the book though!!!!!

I'm off to London next month so I'm gonna find time to visit the stores mentioned above.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• One quick warning about the Merrels though, they are truly amazing shoes, and I often forget I have them on, but the sole is a very soft rubber. I have the Chameleons as well, and they have a few scars underneath from the pins on my V12s. Nothing major, doesn't affect grip, but is something to bear in mind if you are going to be using them a lot.
  • pete236
    pete236 Posts: 204
    Thanks for the heads up :) Went out this afternoon and found them very slippy on my standard Giant pedals - but then the bumps and spikes are worn down to almost nothing after 5 years of abuse! Picked up a puncture a god 3 miles from home so I know the shoes are fantastic for hiking through mud, woods grassy field paths and even tarmac! Have ordered some wellgo V8 copies so should get some grip from those. Will probably still use trainers for day-to-day living in so not much fussed about the soles of the Merrel's - long as they stay waterproof!
    All the best!

One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead men got up to fight. Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other.
  • Cheshley
    We appear to have drifted away from the original point a little, but as we're talking about Merrells, if anyone needs these in HOOOOOGE sizes, they can be found here... ... ...

http://www.walktall.co.uk/footwear-outdoor-c-26_5.html

the smallest size that most models come in is an 11 and some of them go up to size 15 or 16,
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill