Unwanted Prize!

johnnyhotdog
johnnyhotdog Posts: 142
edited January 2008 in Campaign
*steps onto soapbox*

*cough*

why are there so many bikes for sale that are either unwanted gifts or unwanted prizes?

am i the only person who enters a competition because i actually want to win?

*bows*

*steps off soapbox*

Comments

• meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    " unwanted prizes? "

"am i the only person who enters a competition because i actually want to win?"

BUT sometimes a bike is only one of a number of prizes - and the entrant really wanted the CAR!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    I once saw something on TV a few years ago about a guy who earned a very good living from entering competitons. Didn't matter what the prize was, if it was worth money he was in there. The best one was when he won a car from 'guessing' how many golf balls could be fitted into a certain model of washing machine. The nutter actually went out and bought said washing machine and filled it with golf balls in order to win!
  • System wrote:
    The nutter actually went out and bought said washing machine and filled it with golf balls in order to win!
    Doesn't sound like a nutter to me, sounds like a scientist. Spend £x00 win £y,000, ceratinly better than a lottery ticket.Perhaps it was serendipitous, as he needed a new washing machine anyway.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    [cycnic mode]Maybe a ploy by people selling nicked bikes?[/cycnic mode]
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I've often wondered where the hell do you find all these competitions that are offering top-spec bikes as prizes, and why do people who don't want one keep entering?
  • smitty
    smitty Posts: 125
    where are these comps id enter them in the hope of havig a house full of bikes one for each day of the week could change the like i change my pants
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "and why do people who don't want one keep entering?"

I thought that that bit had been explained!

While it wasn't brand new, I recently won a bike in a charity raffle. It was a teens' model and while I could have taken it and sold it I simply let them keep it for their next fund raising event. But it was certainly an "unwanted prize".
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."