strange feeling

colinw
colinw Posts: 85
edited January 2008 in MTB general
hi everyone,
Has anyone ever had this happen to them.
I was out today first ride for a few weeks did about 20 miles felt ok was thinking my lay of due to xmas and work etc has not affected me .
then all of a sudden i felt weak had to stop felt wrong had to sit and all i could think of was gwtting some chocalate or something.
i pushed my bike to find a small shop and then ate a marrs bar and twix sat for a while and then managed to start again and get home.
I felt like al pacino in the godfather when he asks for orange juice in rome.
I am not diabetic.
Whats going on.
I have lost a stone over the last 2 months and have all but packed in smoking anyone got any ideas
cheers
colinw

Comments

• clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Chances are you were just hypoglycaemic but if you are at all worried see your GP!
  • xcracer
    xcracer Posts: 298
    I believe the roadies call it 'the bonk'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonk_(condition)
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    Indeed, it is hypoglycaemia commonly known as bonking. Basically, you've used all your muscle and liver glycogen and your body is relying on other fuel sources (which don't come as fast) such as fat. Your body needed sugar!

To avoid it in future, eat an oat based breakfast such as porridge or museli as this digests slowly and keeps you fuelled longer. Try something like SIS Go in your Camelbak. As well as salts to stave off cramp it contains small amounts of carbs to trickle some fuel back in. And if you're riding for a prolonged period (over 3 hours) take some cereal bars to eat during the ride.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • colinw
    colinw Posts: 85
    hello
    Thanks for the information.
    I need to sort out my eating habits
    I need to lose more weight as its easier as i discovered today
    I wonder what the most efficent ratio is weight to power my pal is very small and light but he can go all day and is uncatchable.
    cheers
    colinw
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    I'm no nutritionist so take this with a pinch of salt but I would say don't try to lose weight too fast and make sure you are fuelling yourself for your riding properly.
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    clanton wrote:
    I'm no nutritionist so take this with a pinch of salt

Good advice, the pinch of salt will help prevent cramp :wink::D
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    I only knew that as "bonking", didn't realise that was hypoglycaemia.

Only had it bad once on a ride, but now I try to always have an energy bar or gel on me and to eat something if I'm out for more than three hours.
  • It truly is one of the most horrid feelings I have ever had - its the most intense craving for sugar that I have ever had - felt like I was going to pass out.

I have only had it a couple of times but that was enough - I make sure that I have enough energy drink/bars before I ride.....
  • Not only is your body metabolising fat for energy but protein (muscle). This is bad news. You do not want to be metabolising protein at any time since it is basically breaking down your muscles for energy! Think about that!

As regards to crabs, a good low GI meal such as porridge, brown rice/pasta before hand will be great for slow release as mentioned already. Indeed a continual supply of energy rather than large amounts at once is better so a good isotonic sports drink such as lucozade sport/powerade that has some carbs plus essential salts (sodium and potassium to avoid cramp and remain properly hydrated) would be very useful. Also try and snack continually during your ride on fruit (bananas are good since they are also high in potassium)/oatcakes/nuts (anything low to medium GI since you will have a constant supply of high GI coming from your sport drink.

Think about post ride meal aswell. You should consume a good mix of carbs (replenishes muscle and liver glycogen stores) and protein (helps minimise/avoid catabolic effect of exercise) immediately after your ride. Around 1-2hrs (no longer) after that meal you should consume another high protein with medium carb meal. By doing this you will speed recovery and the next few days wont be as sore or stiff that most of us experience i.e. you will lower the feeling of DOMS.

Sugar alone is not the ideal meal esp low GI foods. All this does is create an insulin 'spike' and yes you feel good for 15-20 minutes but after that your 'spike' drops as fast as it went up and you are on a downer again. Therefore, you should try and maintain a consistent insulin level with no peaks and troughs. That way you will improve performance throughout your ride, afterwards and not feel as sick if at all. This principle of maintaining steady insulin levels can be translated to everyday life not just sport. This kind of routine helps with steady weightloss (provided a sound nutrition programme is in place accompanied with moderate-high intense exercise). I mention that since you said you were interested in losing weight.

Sorry to go on and on but this is a topic I am passionate about and have a good knowledge of so I tend to ramble!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    sammyb304 wrote:
    As regards to crabs

Gotta be careful of them! ;-)

Great post BTW, and welcome to the forum.