2010 TDF start in Glasgow

daowned
daowned Posts: 414
edited January 2008 in Pro race
Scotland could provide the setting for the early stages of a future Tour de France.

National events agency EventScotland are looking to bring 'Le Tour' to Scotland in the near future following the success of its launch in England earlier this year.

EventScotland: "We've had the early conversations about the possibility of hosting the 'Grand Depart' in Scotland." It's an iconic world-class event, and the kind of event that would sit very well within our portfolio of major events. We haven't discussed possible years yet, or where it might happen."

Scottish Tour de France rider David Millar said: "It would be amazing, and I think it is realistic."

Would be a great Etape Glasgow to Gretna maybe for the first stage?

Comments

• DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Don't see why not. Maye a Glasgow to Edinburgh stage to facilitate the onward transfer to France? A prologue ITT up the Bealach-na-Ba would be awesome, but somewhat impractical, I fear...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Bit of a transfer required, which wouldn't be popular.

London to Kent, over on EuroStar's easy and quick.
    Monaco is in France
    Belgium's next to France

But Scotland's, what, 300 miles away ?
  • andy_wrx wrote:

No worse than the Irish excursion in '98, surely? Though the novelty of starting the race so far afield from home soil that year was somewhat eclipsed by other events :(

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    andy_wrx wrote:

London to Kent, over on EuroStar's easy and quick.
    Monaco is in France
    Belgium's next to France

But Scotland's, what, 300 miles away ?

Scotland is perfectly feasible I think. Infact bigger transfers have been done on the continent I think, perhaps even within France..
  • Prologue in Glasgow
    Stage 1 running down towards England
    Stage 2 finising in London

POSSIBLE???
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    Typical West Coast mentality - it MAY come to Scotland so start a thread with Tour start in Glasgow :wink::lol:
  • DaveyL
    Why not? As the saying goes, ye'll have mair fun at a Glesga stabbin' than an Edinbra weddin'...."

:D
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Noodley wrote:
    Typical West Coast mentality - it MAY come to Scotland so start a thread with Tour start in Glasgow :wink::lol:

Fair point - as with the previous 2 visits to the British Isles (we'll overlook the dull-as-ditchwater trip to Devon in '74!!), surely the capital city should be first choice for a "showcase" event such as this (though Glasgow's bigger than its counterpart at the other end of the M8 and therefore potentially has a larger catchment area crowds-wise)?

Here's an alternative idea to throw into the TdF ring - although their small size probably rules out a bunched-racing stage with high mileage, how about a Prologue or a TT stage on one of the Channel Islands some time in the future? The logistics wouldn't be too bad - they're nearer to the Normandy coast than they are to the UK mainland, which people don't always realise.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    andy_wrx wrote:

No worse than the Irish excursion in '98, surely? Though the novelty of starting the race so far afield from home soil that year was somewhat eclipsed by other events :(

David

Getting riders and the race officials etc. back to France is quite easy as they fly. the problems arise with all the team cars, busess, trucks plus the start and finish villages.
    There is a direct ferry link between Cork and Brittany which was used in 98 to get the heavy gear back to France. Local roads were upgraded to faciltate the transfer of equipment from the finsh to the ferryport 30 minutes away. The ferry left late afternoon and was in France by dawn the next morning.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    re. tranfers.

Ferry from Rosyth to Zeebrugge.....
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • would be a fantastic start to the tour, probably not as scenic as london etc, but still an amazing atmosphere as the scots can bring alot to events like this and the cwg in 2014 will be superb

http://www.velodromeshop.org.uk - Track Cycling Shop from Velodrome.org.uk - Casco, Bont Shoes, Dolan, Campag, Reflex Nutrition, Sugino and more
    http://www.sportstrainingsolutions.com - Cycling and Sports Therapy in Mallorca
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    Edinburgh would make an excellent choice. With the castle as a back drop, it would tick the 'interesting scenery' box.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Nah, Aviemore to Edinburgh via the Lecht and either Glenshee or The Mounth,

It is then rather flat to Edinburgh though you can throw in a few short sharp climbs in either fife or the Ochils.

http://www.niallwallace.co.uk/NiallWall ... mHell.html
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • daowned
    daowned Posts: 414
    If it was in Scotland it would have to be Glasgow, if it was in the east coast they just wouldn't ken it as they say over there :wink:

They could start it in Dunoon and come down the Rest and be Thankfull into Balloch then Drymen taking the backroad to Aberfoyle up the Dukes Pass into Fintry down the Crow Road and then into Glasgow.

Now thats a good opening stage taking in Loch Eck, Loch Long, Loch Lomond and into the Trossachs before hitting Glasgow Kelvingrove Park.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Has to be Edinburgh(Scotlands capital despite what ITV News thinks) to Perthshire across the Forth Road Bridge. Imagine the crowds lined over the bridge and then over climbs via the ochils to Perthshire. Then a quick transfer from Rosyth to Zeebrugge.
    Brian B.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    If it were to come to Scotland, Glasgow has always supported cycling, far more than most other cities in the UK and that should be recognised by being the the city of choice for showcasing the worlds premier cycle race within Scotland and UK.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    DaveyL wrote:
    Why not? As the saying goes, ye'll have mair fun at a Glesga stabbin' than an Edinbra weddin'...."

:D

I know they are very popular nowadays, but do you now get invitations to Stabbins? :D
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    Go into an East end pub in a Hearts or Rangers shirt singing the 'Sash'
  • Fat Head
    Fat Head Posts: 765
    gavintc wrote:
    Go into an East end pub in a Hearts or Rangers shirt singing the 'Sash'

.......and remember to wipe your feet on the way out
  • DaveyL
    Well, there is one pub in the East End where that would be perfectly acceptable. Can't remember its name, but it's a "Rangers" pub very close to Celtic Park.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Anonymous
    Being from Scotland I find cycling a total different escape to Football..I've really learned so much about the world through cycling....I must admit I could do without hearing about the Old firm for the rest of my entire life..just so many co-workers rattle on about it....fair enough..but what really concerns me is that none i know actually play the game...they just sit and watch it...smoke/drink and spout nothing but bigoted ignorant hate...p.s. not all supporters of the Old Firm can be categorised in this manner but I've just met so many who can :cry:

Thats why I love cycling...Sure I watch the TDF/Classics...I buy the DVDs of the sportives etc...but I'd rather go out and do it...when I watch the TDF theres lots of places where ive ridden...like probably most cyclists every year I sacrifice so much to get in shape...go out in all sorts of weather...train endlessly on a Turbo trainer...Diet...obstain from many social occasions...but more important than all of that, Cycling brings about camerarderie..in every sportif Ive been in or whether I am riding with a bunch of complete strangers there is just an acceptance...everyones suffering and it brings about a certain respect from all the others as they are going through the same....personally I don't care a jot what colour people are, what religion they follow etc...I just like the fact that its a sport where I can keep myself very fit and it allows me to see so many different beautiful locations in the world...

Bad thing about Scotland is having to listen endlessly about the Old Firm.

Good thing about Scotland...has some of the best cycling terrain/scenery on the Planet.

great to see the TDF coming here...don't care where it starts as long as its shows our beautiful countryside.
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    DaveyL wrote:
    Well, there is one pub in the East End where that would be perfectly acceptable. Can't remember its name, but it's a "Rangers" pub very close to Celtic Park.
    It's the Loudon Tavern by the junction of Duke Street and Cumbernauld Road. It's quite fun even walking past it at night, wouldn't really want to go in but. There's a fair few pubs in the area which are "Rangers" pubs & a little less lairy if you want to test it out...

I think that RICHYBOYCP makes some very good points. Whilst I'd love it to finish in Glasgow & could make lots of arguments as to why that would be a good idea, I'm aware that Edinburgh is a little closer than Monaco or London & that the TdF is a little bigger than the ToB, which is the only race I can see any of without travelling. It'd be a great opportunity for many folk from Northern Britain to see a premier cycling event & think that the atmosphere would be fantastic! Surely, if it'd start in Scotland, we can put the West/East coast rivalry away for a few weeks & just celebrate that?
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    A prologue around the centre of Edinburgh could be one hell of a technical course - potential for some steep climbs and sharp, twisting drops and long straight descents, plus a bit of cobbles to really noise things up. Great backdrops for the TV too, which will count for a lot.

Not so sure about the transfers - the Rosyth Zeebruge ferry takes 18 hours - leaves at 17h00 (so it would have to be a short stage that day) and arrives at noon the following day
    (another short stage)...
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Richrd2205 wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:
    It's the Loudon Tavern by the junction of Duke Street and Cumbernauld Road. It's quite fun even walking past it at night, wouldn't really want to go in but. There's a fair few pubs in the area which are "Rangers" pubs & a little less lairy if you want to test it out...

I think that RICHYBOYCP makes some very good points. Whilst I'd love it to finish in Glasgow & could make lots of arguments as to why that would be a good idea, I'm aware that Edinburgh is a little closer than Monaco or London & that the TdF is a little bigger than the ToB, which is the only race I can see any of without travelling. It'd be a great opportunity for many folk from Northern Britain to see a premier cycling event & think that the atmosphere would be fantastic! Surely, if it'd start in Scotland, we can put the West/East coast rivalry away for a few weeks & just celebrate that?
    I'm aware that Edinburgh is a little closer than Monaco or London
    I'm a bit confuses about the reference/relevance in distance to Monaco or London - its no longer in terms of time or distance flying into Glasgow. Glasgow is close for those wanting to travel along the along M74/M6 from the Midlands area, through Cumbria, etc. Logistically there is no difference in either Glasgow or Edinburgh.

While I am a west coast guy and as I said before, Glasgow has shown a long term commitment in promoting road cycling that if it ever were to happen (and it is a big but) then they should be given that honour to host the opening stage/prologue. As way of showcasing both cities, maybe the Scottish Parliament in Edinburgh could host the presentation the night or two before. Its only 60 minutes between the cities along the M8.

Having enjoyed the TdF in Paris several times, I might even visit for a holiday but only if it were in Glasgow. :D
  • Hi there.

Joining this debate late, am amused by the usual east coast/west coast rubbish... and inspied by RichyBoys sentiments. You're from Falkirk right?

Back to reality - can anyone in Scotland imagine the political will required to raise the huge sums of money involved in being le grand depart? Greater London has a population about 4 times bigger than the _whole_ of Scotland, and there were plenty of discenting rumbles about the costs borne there. Plus we have the commonwealth games to finance.

Personally I'd rather my tax money went on sports events rather than more roads or a second Forth road bridge - but then I expect I'm in the minority.

Cheers, Andy

ps The best prologue in Scotland was of course the first ProTour in Stirling, with a winding cobbled climb to the castle, won by Boardman iirc.
  • PruTour - I meant PruTour not ProTour. 1998 says google - first live bike race I ever saw.
  • Anonymous
    Hi there.

Joining this debate late, am amused by the usual east coast/west coast rubbish... and inspied by RichyBoys sentiments. You're from Falkirk right?

Very close Andy...I'm from Bo'ness...but if I were say a football fan then I would support Falkirk(after the great Bo'Ness Utd of course)....it makes sense to me to support the team that represents the area that you were born and bred in...call me old fashioned.

I really could imagine the TDF heading up the North West Coast...From Loch Lomond upwards is simply unbeatable scenery...I'd love to see the TDF take in Glencoe, Kintail,Applecross Pininsula.....that would be just so special...its just so special up there...rather than some Ugly run from Glasgow to Edinburgh(or vice versa)...but its usually down to cash...and the big cities usually prevail...lets hope Inverness/Gairloch gets a Cash Injection... :D
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    Hi there.

Very close Andy...I'm from Bo'ness...but if I were say a football fan then I would support Falkirk(after the great Bo'Ness Utd of course)....it makes sense to me to support the team that represents the area that you were born and bred in...call me old fashioned.

I really could imagine the TDF heading up the North West Coast...From Loch Lomond upwards is simply unbeatable scenery...I'd love to see the TDF take in Glencoe, Kintail,Applecross Pininsula.....that would be just so special...its just so special up there...rather than some Ugly run from Glasgow to Edinburgh(or vice versa)...but its usually down to cash...and the big cities usually prevail...lets hope Inverness/Gairloch gets a Cash Injection... :D

thats the big problem living in central scotland large swathes support the OF for non football reasons and we all know what they are , me i support Aberdeen having beeen born and bred in that area. btw Bo ness Utd ?....long live the Rosy Posy :-) Anyway back to the point in hand i dont give a monkeys where the tour starts in scotland as long as it starts somewhere in gods country , like you ive travelled to france to see it so id travel anywhere in scotland to see it as well though i do take the point re Glasgow supporting the TOB.

cheers
    MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • gavintc wrote:
    Edinburgh would make an excellent choice. With the castle as a back drop, it would tick the 'interesting scenery' box.

maybe ... nice yes, but depends on the weather for televisual impact :shock:
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Brian B wrote:
    Has to be Edinburgh(Scotlands capital despite what ITV News thinks) to Perthshire across the Forth Road Bridge. Imagine the crowds lined over the bridge and then over climbs via the ochils to Perthshire. Then a quick transfer from Rosyth to Zeebrugge.

Brian, I'm using this crossing in March, going to see a bit of Paris-Nice :lol::lol: . A quick transfer it is not !!!! Depart Rosyth 17.00, arrive Zeebrugge 11.30 next day. That's a 17.5 hr crossing. I appreciate something could be done possibly with a special charter,,,but,,,, I don't think that particular route is viable.