Stelvio pass advice

pwood
pwood Posts: 6
Thinking of doing a trip to the Stelvio pass next summer and would appreciate any advice, in particular about where is good to stay nearby. Ideal would be english speaking cycle friendly guesthouse type of place.

There is some stuff on the web but personal reccomendation seems best to me.

Anyone been there?

Paul

Comments

• Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    A group us from Scotland and the Lakes are going to do the Stelvio and a few other climbs in Sept and we are staying at Bormio at the hotel in the link below. I'm sorry that I cannot vouch anymore info as it is our first time but it is my brother who organising this trip and he is pretty good at researching places and coming up with the good's.

The hotel is a ski lodge which caters for cyclist/climbers etc in summer and is pretty cheap for halfboard accomodation.

http://www.genzianella.com/
    Brian B.
  • pwood
    thanks for the suggestion

we would be going in June probably so will post and let you know what it is like.

Paul
  • We stayed at http://www.posthirsch.com/ on the Prato side which was almost worth it for the comedy value alone. The whole place creaks continuously and the mattresses have all the rigidity of a hammock. The bathrooms were actually portakabins in the corner of the rooms, and they tried to 'accidentally' charge us 10 times too much on departure. With this being the only Italian night on our tour, I was ready to point the finger when I got my cc bill and found that it had been used at several other locations across Italy.

Food wasn't bad mind.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • pwood
    Perhaps not Prato then!!

Problem is that we had such a good time last year near Alpe D'Huez that the pressure is on to find somewhere equally good.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    pwood wrote:
    Perhaps not Prato then!!

Problem is that we had such a good time last year near Alpe D'Huez that the pressure is on to find somewhere equally good.

Problem in Italy is there are no really affordable Uk cycling companies where you can get a great service/back-up...you really do have to do it all on your own...

If your after a wonderful experience in the High Mountains then why not do the Awesome Pyrenees or Ventoux?

Theres an absolutely fantastic cycling company we went with a few years ago...they provided EVERTHING and in one week we managed....Tourmalet / Ares/ Portet Aspet / Mente / Soulor / Aubisque / Aspin / Pla D'adet / Luz Ardiden...like this better than the Alps and the back up was tremendous...never had to carry anything at all...the car back up did it all..absolute excellence...conatact:-

http://www.sport-adventura.com/

OR what about the incredible Ventoux....makes Alpe De Huez seem a walk in the park...what a feeling coming out of Chalet Reynard and seeing the views and the observatory...a MUST for any cyclist...also the climb of the Ventoux from Maulecene is spectacular aswell...theres a big debate on which side is tougher(im for Bedoin)..and lots of people think that the Area is just Ventoux...no way! the place is littered with gorgeous terrain and demanding climbs...contact Craig from Veloventoux..he was excellent with us and gave us tremendous back up....

ww.veloventoux.com

These companies make things a whole lot easier and provide a better experience...you basically arrive at the airport with Bike and thats it! the rest is done for you.

We are doing the Dolomites as we have experienced the wonders of the Alps/Pyrenees/Ventoux...so its new!

Hope this helps...
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,128
    I've ridden in the area a few times and usually stayed in Bormio. It's quite a busy little town and there are some good hotels and excellent restaurants. I've stayed twice in the Hotel Baita dei Pini which is in a nice location and very comfortable. There's a secure underground garage where you can store your bike. I've always found the tourist office in Bormio to be very helpful and they may be able to advise on accomodation that suits your requirements. Cycling is very popular in the area in the summer so most hotels are more than happy to store bikes.

The choice of routes in the area is very good. If you ride the Stelvio then you must do the northern side from Prato. If you're fit enough then riding from Bormio up to the Umbrail pass junction then descending down the Umbrail before turning right at the bottom and heading up the Stelvio is a tough but doable one day ride. Riding the Gavia is recommended too. I've also done the Mortirolo but that was insanely hard and I'd only recommend it if you realise how tough it will be.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Why not do the Stelvio as part of the Dreiländergiro, starting at Nauders in Austria on 22 June?

I’ve done it twice and thought it a great event.

http://www.dreilaendergiro.com/english/
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Did the Stelvio from Bormio as part of the Raid Dolomite. This was an organised Baxter tour, afraid can't remember hotel.

What can advise is come prepared with every bit of winter gear you pocess + some, especially gloves that you have tested as being wam and waterproof.

We climbed in August. Started in rain and by time got to the top it was a full blizzard+thunder. I had to make emergency purchases of ski gloves. Descent down the the famous side was without doubt the coldest/,most scared I have ever been in my life.

PS goes without saying given above but if you have them leave carbon wheels at home. At least I made it down, those with carbon bailed and took the bus.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • pwood
    thanks for all the suggetions.

best solution seems to be to do two trips and go to the Pyrenees as well.

not sure I can convince her indoors though :-)
  • bahzob
    If you are thinking of the Pyrenees and need an excellent friendly English speaking/cycling dedicted guesthouse you should definitely try here:

http://www.cyclepyrenees.com/lodge.html
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • ButlerG
    ButlerG Posts: 36
    I have never been anywhere near it, but there is an article with moody pictures in Rouleur issue 7, from Rapha. The writer goes from the Prato side. The striking thing (to me anyway) was that some of the tunnels on the descent are unlit.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,128
    ButlerG wrote:
    I have never been anywhere near it, but there is an article with moody pictures in Rouleur issue 7, from Rapha. The writer goes from the Prato side. The striking thing (to me anyway) was that some of the tunnels on the descent are unlit.
    There's some superb photography in that piece. I'd recommend getting hold of a copy if you can as it'll inspire you to climb the Stelvio.

The tunnels you mention are pretty short so you get through them pretty quickly on the descent but climbing that side they seem to take an age. One of them has a bend in it which is pretty hairy as you can't see your exit. :shock:
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    It's an awesome climb,& in my opinion,a must do.This summer I'm taking the family & staying in Bolzano (well,camping just south).
    This gives about one hour's drive due west to ride it from the Prato side.It also means we can do plenty of the Dolomites without spending all day in the car.
    Oh,and we can get to Venice for a day trip,to please the kids as well .
    When we arrive ,at the end of July,there's actually a week of cycling sportives (Giro des Dolomites rings a bell) so should be plenty of atmosphere :D
    so many cols,so little time!
  • airegin
    airegin Posts: 34
    I enjoyed riding up the Stelvio pass - I rode it from Prato allo Stelvio. The gradient wasn't that bad - it was mainly near the top when I began to feel it though. But by then I had ridden the best part of 27km uphill and rounded almost 48 hairpins. The scenery is very pretty.
    Take care on the descent - very long and cold !
    I stayed at one of the hotels in Prato - it was good and inexpensive but they don't speak English. To be honest though, it may be better to stay somewhere more central where you have access to more climbs in the Dolomites - for example, staying further east gives you access to the Val di fassa and sella regions where there are lots of other well known passes.

I rode the Stelvio pass as part of the Giro delle Dolomiti a couple of years ago - it was a week-long cyclosportive event. Great atmosphere. The distances varied each day and infact you only really have to ride hard during the one timed section that they do in each stage (it's usually on the hardest climb of the day).
    It's a great event and I'd recommend doing it.
    http://www.girodolomiti.com/
    This year's edition of the Giro delle Dolomiti will feature a climb up the Stelvio (from the Prato side). And if you really want more there will be stages that take in such delights as the Passo Giau, Passo Pordoi, Falzarego and the much talked of Planes de Corones (Kronplatz) (25% gradient up unpaved roads) !!

http://www.2wheelchick.blogspot.com/
  • bahzob
    Thanks v much for the Giro Dolomite tip. Didnt know it was happening. Will set up separate thread to ask if any more out there..
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    pwood wrote:
    Perhaps not Prato then!!

Problem in Italy is there are no really affordable Uk cycling companies where you can get a great service/back-up...you really do have to do it all on your own...

If your after a wonderful experience in the High Mountains then why not do the Awesome Pyrenees or Ventoux?

Theres an absolutely fantastic cycling company we went with a few years ago...they provided EVERTHING and in one week we managed....Tourmalet / Ares/ Portet Aspet / Mente / Soulor / Aubisque / Aspin / Pla D'adet / Luz Ardiden...like this better than the Alps and the back up was tremendous...never had to carry anything at all...the car back up did it all..absolute excellence...conatact:-

http://www.sport-adventura.com/

OR what about the incredible Ventoux....makes Alpe De Huez seem a walk in the park...what a feeling coming out of Chalet Reynard and seeing the views and the observatory...a MUST for any cyclist...also the climb of the Ventoux from Maulecene is spectacular aswell...theres a big debate on which side is tougher(im for Bedoin)..and lots of people think that the Area is just Ventoux...no way! the place is littered with gorgeous terrain and demanding climbs...contact Craig from Veloventoux..he was excellent with us and gave us tremendous back up....

ww.veloventoux.com

These companies make things a whole lot easier and provide a better experience...you basically arrive at the airport with Bike and thats it! the rest is done for you.

We are doing the Dolomites as we have experienced the wonders of the Alps/Pyrenees/Ventoux...so its new!

Hope this helps...

Why choose the Stelvio ? Becasue it's the most spectacular pass to cycle up. IMO I don't think anywhere in France can match it, it's very spectacular with an enormous height gain and exceptional numbers of hairpins .

June isn't busy, just hire a car and turn up on spec, or camp. And the climb starts virtually in Bormio.